• ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I rode 12 miles :p

I went uphill so it's like I rode 15 miles ... ok not really but still I nearly died on the top of a hill.

uphill-struggle.jpg

(not the actually hill)

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    During my recent vacation I hiked around eight miles on the Alum Cave Trail and around fourteen miles on the Trillium Gap Trail in the Great Smoky Mountains NP. Additionally did one mile total walking to the top of Waterrock Knob and about a half mile hiking the Spruce Fir Nature Trail. Definitely a good workout, especially any hiking to the top of Mt. LeConte.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Just had to switch to the last hole on my Biobelt to keep my pants up. Must be doing something right. You can clearly see the 2 most used holes on the belt, and I've only had it about 7 months.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Just had to switch to the last hole on my Biobelt to keep my pants up. Must be doing something right. You can clearly see the 2 most used holes on the belt, and I've only had it about 7 months.

Good job!

I had to report you for wearing pants though. ;)

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    6'3" and 237. Rode 9.69 miles today and averaged 12.5 mph with my Garmin watch and it calculates to about 50 calories a mile rule of thumb for yous guys around my size.

I went for a ride today because MyFitnessPal recalced my calorie goal for 2 lbs a week and it is now under 1500 and I wanted to eat something other than just dinner. Get around that range and it is a good idea to be taking a one-a-day vitamin.

Sigh, I got a whole pineapple upside down cake for my birthday. One 3" by 4" piece is around 500 calories so that was my breakfast. I am going to have to cut it up and freeze some of it.

Last edited:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Still using the GIPIS web program to get to 10K. I think it has it about right for me. I put in my standard fastest run (which was pretty slow at around a pace of 12:00 and it had me start out at a pace of 15:24 which is walking speed but you have to jog it. This Tuesday it had me run for 55 minutes at 15:04 and today only 17 minutes with intervals of 15:04 to 11:18. The 55 minute run was 3.65 miles (and added about 700 calories to MyFitnessPal using the Garmin) and today's was only 1.24 miles (and added about 200 calories to MyFitnessPal using the Garmin). I am now over 60 and this seems to be working well but yes, at 15:04 I look like and old man running. I certainly can't run like I used to and I feel it a whole lot more. I am also in a good mental state to adhere to the MyFitnessPal calorie goal.

One thing I was curious about after getting the Garmin 310XT was my resting heart rate. It is still around where it used to be at 55 bpm.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Don't feel bad about checking in if you have fallen off the wagon. I did the last 10 years and gained 50 lbs. It is all about one's mental state. It is much harder to lose weight when you are under stress or in my case, like the beer a bit too much and have a bit of self destruction in my nature when I am doing well. This would be a good place to get some comments on maybe how to deal with it (no promises there) and give encouragement or what works and what doesn't.

I have tried to lose weight previously in that 10 years using MyFitnessPal but ended up lying to myself about what I was consuming. Yesterday my daughter took me out to lunch for my birthday and I had probably 1000 calories in pizza and later added more with some gin and tonics. I have yet to catalog them but will because by not lying to myself this time I am actually down 15 lbs now and know it works and it is working a second time for me.

Yep, just cataloged everything for yesterday and went over about 1200 calories which means that day will not make me fat but will not add to the weight loss but you need those days once in awhile.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Pizza is usually a downfall for calorie counting. It's too easy to overeat when you consider the serving size should be about two slices.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Pizza is usually a downfall for calorie counting. It's too easy to overeat when you consider the serving size should be about two slices.

Yep, if you look at store bought pizzas it is easy to go over 1000 calories if you eat the whole thing and I like to eat the whole thing. Going to a restaurant is harder since you have to guess but I figured about 900 for my share of a large Colossus between 3 people at Bazbeaux's. I am again going over today because of a meeting which started out at a distillery with a bloody Mary and lunch at a brewery but it is possible to catalog those calories using some common sense.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I love MyFitnessPal! I gave myself 1200 calories a day, but wasn't losing the weight I wanted. When I uped it to 2100, I began to lose weight, because my workouts were longer and more enjoyable; I did not hit the wall. I was going to try to get below 200 pounds, but 220 feels good. I may lose about 10 more pounds as I firm up the mid-section, though.

I I don't know if this will help anyone, but I cut out beef, pork, and most sugar. I don't really have to do much calorie counting and it's helped a lot.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Starting Monday, I'm going to start the Wendler 5/3/1 workout program hot and heavy. I'm also going to start the Paleo Diet as well. Going to cut out the grain in my diet.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Starting Monday, I'm going to start the Wendler 5/3/1 workout program hot and heavy. I'm also going to start the Paleo Diet as well. Going to cut out the grain in my diet.

I read the primal blueprint, can be found here: Mark's Daily Apple but that's all I did was read it, that was 2 years ago. But I have talked to a few people that have lost a lot of weight and gotten all their "numbers" down, simply by removing grains from their diets. Just yesterday I talked to a guy that went from 315 down to 257 in 3 months by cutting grains. That's impressive.
    Monday is also my start date as well. I'm 5'9 and weigh 209. I would like to get down to 185.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Cutting out sugar is a really good idea, more like cutting out all those sugary drinks. I did the paleo diet for awhile but I do eat some grains now. I do believe it works though. I will have to look at the Wendler workout. I was doing Stronglifts 5x5 but it has squats every workout and my quad tendon got irritated so I had to stop squats until it heals but squat/bench/deadlift/overhead press are the essentials.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Cutting out sugar is a really good idea, more like cutting out all those sugary drinks. I did the paleo diet for awhile but I do eat some grains now. I do believe it works though. I will have to look at the Wendler workout. I was doing Stronglifts 5x5 but it has squats every workout and my quad tendon got irritated so I had to stop squats until it heals but squat/bench/deadlift/overhead press are the essentials.

As well as push-ups, pull-ups, and dips. Any exercise that uses multiple muscle groups.

Top Bottom