• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Got my Garmin 310XT in with foot pod for indoor running. Calibrated the foot pod today and still using GIPIS for the couch to 10K program. Linked up Garmin Connect to MyFitnessPal and went for the GIPIS run today. Pretty slick. You can use the Garmin for walking, running, biking, and open water swimming. You can set it up to display just about anything you want. I will have to plug in weight lifting manually into MyFitnessPal.

The GIPIS pace on a phone is not very accurate so it is hard to follow the pace on my phone. It will tell you to speed up or slow down to keep the planned pace. Using the Garmin for pace I was able to keep GIPIS from telling me to speed up or slow down. First run with the Garmin and I forgot to wear the heart strap.

I only had to run 15 minutes at 15.12 pace today which is pretty slow but then I am old and really can't run fast anyway so I will be curious to see how the GIPIS program works for me.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Rode 6.97 miles Sunday and another 7.13 today. It was much easier to do it today. I'm hoping to get in a short ride before church tomorrow.

Great! Keep it up. For me it got to the point where I was pushing myself because I enjoyed it. Had to slow down and keep my peddle rpm higher with less stress because it bothered my knees. It is a good idea to keep up the rpm with less stress than pushing hard at a slower rpm. I used an old Trek 520 then when I traveled all the time I had a Bike Friday traveling bike built to my dimensions and discovered that bike fit is very important for comfortable riding. I think the rule of thumb is if you can just touch your handle bar while sitting up straight in the saddle. For me with long legs I need a tall bike but shorter top tube. Most larger bikes also have a longer top tube so the one built for me made a big difference.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I really only use Map My Fitness. But I also mainly only run outside :dunno:

I used to use MapMyFitness on my iPhone and looked for a couch to 10K program and found GIPIS which I liked and had GIPIS send info to RunKeeper which linked with MyFitnessPal. Both apps sucked for tracking Pace on my iPhone so I bought the Garmin 310XT which also links to MyFitnessPal and tracks pace much better and unlinked the others. I used to have a Garmin 305 years ago but it died.

Most of these apps link to Facebook but I don't really want this junk on my FB. I am a bit private.

How are you doing so far? I found it hard to get my head into seriously tracking what I eat and getting on an exercise program but once I get started, it is much easier. It is all mental.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I used to use MapMyFitness on my iPhone and looked for a couch to 10K program and found GIPIS which I liked and had GIPIS send info to RunKeeper which linked with MyFitnessPal. Both apps sucked for tracking Pace on my iPhone so I bought the Garmin 310XT which also links to MyFitnessPal and tracks pace much better and unlinked the others. I used to have a Garmin 305 years ago but it died.

Most of these apps link to Facebook but I don't really want this junk on my FB. I am a bit private.

How are you doing so far? I found it hard to get my head into seriously tracking what I eat and getting on an exercise program but once I get started, it is much easier. It is all mental.

Yeah, I have a Tom Tom watch that syncs to Map My Fitness. I didn't want to have to carry around a phone or anything.

I haven't really been watching what I eat, but obviously paying attention to portion size when I know it's obviously chocked full of calories. But I've been doing well, usually run about 4 times a week. Some weeks only 3, but been doing well keeping it going. :thumbsup:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, I have a Tom Tom watch that syncs to Map My Fitness. I didn't want to have to carry around a phone or anything.

I haven't really been watching what I eat, but obviously paying attention to portion size when I know it's obviously chocked full of calories. But I've been doing well, usually run about 4 times a week. Some weeks only 3, but been doing well keeping it going. :thumbsup:

What I was amazed to find out is how well my GF can guess calories. Most people almost always under guess what they eat. For instance. I went downtown tonight and got some Chocolate Factory Caramel, Caramel, Caramel ice cream. I had them weigh it and it came out to about .45 lb so I found the closest I could find on MyFitnessPal and it measured around 900 calories.

I am 6'3" and around 245 lb, fairly sedentary since my work is in front of a PC all day so to lose 2 lb a week, my calorie goal is around 1500 a day. That ain't much. That is one of the reasons I link the fitness apps to MyFitnessPal because when I exercise I can eat more that day.

Depending on the toppings a typical store bought pizza is 1200 calories and when I eat one, I eat the whole thing.

Four pieces of bacon and 3 eggs is about 450 calories. Two eggs even less. If I have an alcoholic beverage at home I even weigh it and catalog it.

MyFitnessPal is your friend for following what you eat and exercise is your friend if you want to eat more. :) You WILL lose weight if you do both.

One thing interesting about running or walking. No matter which you do, you burn the same amount of calories if you run or walk and go the same distance.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Great! Keep it up. For me it got to the point where I was pushing myself because I enjoyed it. Had to slow down and keep my peddle rpm higher with less stress because it bothered my knees. It is a good idea to keep up the rpm with less stress than pushing hard at a slower rpm. I used an old Trek 520 then when I traveled all the time I had a Bike Friday traveling bike built to my dimensions and discovered that bike fit is very important for comfortable riding. I think the rule of thumb is if you can just touch your handle bar while sitting up straight in the saddle. For me with long legs I need a tall bike but shorter top tube. Most larger bikes also have a longer top tube so the one built for me made a big difference.

Thanks for the advice. I've actually been doing kinda the opposite of what you said but I guess it might burn more calories/fat to have more peddle RPMs. I'll have to try that next time I ride.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    One thing interesting about running or walking. No matter which you do, you burn the same amount of calories if you run or walk and go the same distance.

I was not aware of this. I would have thought they would be different. I would think since you are usually breathing harder while running it would be more, but that's cool to know.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I was not aware of this. I would have thought they would be different. I would think since you are usually breathing harder while running it would be more, but that's cool to know.

Running you breath harder but you finish quicker. Went on a hike today with some friends and a buddy that busted up his shoulder in a bike accident. We walked about 2.5 miles and it cataloged 320 calories with my stats. I get about the same from running the same distance.

You get better aerobic exercise running but the calories are about the same.

BTW, cmr13, how are you doing on fitness or weight loss?

Last edited:

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Running you breath harder but you finish quicker. Went on a hike today with some friends and a buddy that busted up his shoulder in a bike accident. We walked about 2.5 miles and it cataloged 320 calories with my stats. I get about the same from running the same distance.

You get better aerobic exercise running but the calories are about the same.

BTW, cmr13, how are you doing on fitness or weight loss?

Ah ok. I'm probably not going to do any running for a long while because of my knees.

I'm doing better now as far as portion control. For lunch today I took smaller servings of everything then I would have before. And I only had seconds of corn, nothing else. I skipped dessert too. As far as fitness, I got a new job so I my nights sometimes are busier, but I'm still trying to get bike rides in whenever I can. I'm about 7 pounds lighter then I was at my highest and I have seen it going down since I've started watching portions. I'd like to lose another 75 pounds.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Ah ok. I'm probably not going to do any running for a long while because of my knees.

I'm doing better now as far as portion control. For lunch today I took smaller servings of everything then I would have before. And I only had seconds of corn, nothing else. I skipped dessert too. As far as fitness, I got a new job so I my nights sometimes are busier, but I'm still trying to get bike rides in whenever I can. I'm about 7 pounds lighter then I was at my highest and I have seen it going down since I've started watching portions. I'd like to lose another 75 pounds.

Know what you mean. Schedule changes really screw me up. I am actually down to 245 from my max of 254. My goal is another 45 to get to 200 but I did get down to 195 when I was 49 and my GF asked me not to lose any more weight. That is what I weighed when I was 25 but I guess I started to look pretty gaunt. I am also trying to build muscle to increase my resting metabolic rate so may adjust my goal at some time in the future.

You can lose 75 lbs. If you find that you are not losing it, look into MyFitnessPal. I lost 50 lbs using that and exercising a bit in my late 40's. My sister uses it to maintain her weight.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Know what you mean. Schedule changes really screw me up. I am actually down to 245 from my max of 254. My goal is another 45 to get to 200 but I did get down to 195 when I was 49 and my GF asked me not to lose any more weight. That is what I weighed when I was 25 but I guess I started to look pretty gaunt. I am also trying to build muscle to increase my resting metabolic rate so may adjust my goal at some time in the future.

You can lose 75 lbs. If you find that you are not losing it, look into MyFitnessPal. I lost 50 lbs using that and exercising a bit in my late 40's. My sister uses it to maintain her weight.

I had been using MFP but then just kinda stopped using it. I might do it again, but with having a lot of homecooked meals/recipes it's hard to input them into MFP because they aren't in the database and I don't know what all went into them. I still live at home and my Mom and sisters do the cooking.

I went another 6 miles tonight and I took it a bit easier tonight. Had a pretty great time and it was pretty dark and the stars were out when I finished. I love riding outside. :)

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I had been using MFP but then just kinda stopped using it. I might do it again, but with having a lot of homecooked meals/recipes it's hard to input them into MFP because they aren't in the database and I don't know what all went into them. I still live at home and my Mom and sisters do the cooking.

I went another 6 miles tonight and I took it a bit easier tonight. Had a pretty great time and it was pretty dark and the stars were out when I finished. I love riding outside. :)

Ah, I cook for myself so it is easier to catalog. Portion control is your best bet then. You know you are on track if you lose a little each week. I have only been weighting myself when I go down another notch in my belt. Outside is the best, indoor cycle or treadmill sucks IMHO but I also picked up a foot pod for the watch so I can run inside when it is nasty out.

I live downtown so when I ride I often ride up to Broadripple and back and that is about 12-13 miles. I sometimes just do the Cultural Trail downtown for about 4-5 miles depending on side trips. I have friends that ride 50 to 100 miles in one day but to me that would be torture. My butt just does not like that much riding. :):

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    8 miles today.
    smileys-cycling-987324.gif

Top Bottom