• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Anybody doing front squats? I cannot seem to get my arms in the proper location to do the exercise properly. Any pointers?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    If you get those late night cravings like I do, keep a pound or two of deli sliced turkey in your ice box. It's low calorie, no carbs, and fills the void.

Be careful with too much turkey. If it's regular style lunch meat it's probably got a ton of sodium in it.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    One of the things I see in the gym with free weights is bad form. I should know, bad form hurts.

My progress as an old man at 60. Squats (full squat past parallel) at 180. Overhead press 105 (tough). Deadlift 225. Benchpress 110 (not stressing yet). Barbell row 130. I increase my weights by 5lb each visit except deadlift at 10lb.

Now I know these numbers are not big but I am working on it. I have been working on 3 days a week but occasionally skip a day and do 2 days for the week.

Last time I did this same exercise program I got to a stage where my Quadriceps were in pain for weeks. I believe I overworked them without enough of a couple of things. Rest, water, and protein. I am ingesting more water, listening to my pain for rest, and eating more protein. Another thing I did was have bad form for squats (I like squats) and hurt myself which took a year to recover from (age).

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    This is the video I've watched on proper form, but I think I've seen other arm positions used before.

[video=youtube_share;cPZFg9nriB0]http://youtu.be/cPZFg9nriB0[/video]

It took me a while to get the proper form. I always felt that was an odd position for my wrists to be in. What helped me was doing very light weights until I got the form down.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It took me a while to get the proper form. I always felt that was an odd position for my wrists to be in. What helped me was doing very light weights until I got the form down.

Yeah, but I can't get in that position even with just the bar. I'm wondering if there is an alternative position?

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Look up Advocare and the 24-day challenge. First 10 days is a cleanse. First time i did it, day 4 was pure he!!. Body was to used to the caffeine, sugar, bad starches, etc. But after the Challenge i felt much better, and it trained me to eat much healthier. My wife is down 30+ pounds so far.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Yeah, but I can't get in that position even with just the bar. I'm wondering if there is an alternative position?
    Without seeing you do them I would guess your issue is likely shoulder mobility. I back and front squat regularly and BY FAR the most prolific issue is lack of mobility. Front Squat Mobility - Tabata Times Dr Kelly Starrett is a genius at addressing these issues.

Squats are fantastic exercises and so often done with improper form.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Here you go.

[video=youtube_share;d0Rqz7wptJo]http://youtu.be/d0Rqz7wptJo[/video]
    I've never seen the 3rd variation, I know a couple of people that could use that. You should squat to where your hit joint is at or below the knee joint. Hers are a little bit more than half squats.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Three more exercise days and I get $750 off my insurance for 2015 through the company. I skipped 3 days a week this week to 2 due to just not feeling up to snuff. Squats are starting to get heavy for me at 180. Last time I did deadlifts I made a mistake. Had my wallet in my front pocket of my gym pants and it acted like a speed bump when I put the weight down and it shifted my lean too far forward so my lower back felt that the next day.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The crossed-style worked for me and I did three sets at 95 pounds. I will keep it there for two more workouts and then add more weight.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    Well, I'm late to this thread, but Every day can be a first day. I don't want to squat 300LBS, or be a big muscle man. I just need to lose weight. My hardest thing I find is fitting even 30-60 minutes in for a run. I'm trying to get it moved into the mornings before work (at work 6:30, but I have 1 hour commute), but gossh darn that is hard. By the time the kid goes down at night I don't want to miss my time at night with the wife (id down near 9pm, gotta be asleep by 10:30), so its tough.

Top Bottom