• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Well, I'm late to this thread, but Every day can be a first day. I don't want to squat 300LBS, or be a big muscle man. I just need to lose weight. My hardest thing I find is fitting even 30-60 minutes in for a run. I'm trying to get it moved into the mornings before work (at work 6:30, but I have 1 hour commute), but gossh darn that is hard. By the time the kid goes down at night I don't want to miss my time at night with the wife (id down near 9pm, gotta be asleep by 10:30), so its tough.

Three nights missed with your wife a week could possibly mean several additional years with your family. Just give it a try.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Well, I'm late to this thread, but Every day can be a first day. I don't want to squat 300LBS, or be a big muscle man. I just need to lose weight. My hardest thing I find is fitting even 30-60 minutes in for a run. I'm trying to get it moved into the mornings before work (at work 6:30, but I have 1 hour commute), but gossh darn that is hard. By the time the kid goes down at night I don't want to miss my time at night with the wife (id down near 9pm, gotta be asleep by 10:30), so its tough.

You can find the time if you want to. Don't know how old you are but strength training (as opposed to muscle building) is a bit different and if you build some muscle, that will raise your resting metabolic rate and you will burn more calories just sitting around. I am not losing weight like I did in my late 40s so I am strength training. I can't run like I used to due to fibroids on my planters fascia so biking is what I do for aerobic exercise.

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    You can find the time if you want to. Don't know how old you are but strength training (as opposed to muscle building) is a bit different and if you build some muscle, that will raise your resting metabolic rate and you will burn more calories just sitting around. I am not losing weight like I did in my late 40s so I am strength training. I can run like I used to due to fibroids on my planters fascia so biking is what I do for aerobic exercise.
    He's spot on. Get strong. Muscle burns a lot of calories and is all around better to have then not.

http://www.t-nation.com/training/fasted-cardio-eats-muscle

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Back to back five by fives tonight. Second one was all burpees (which was nuts).

Ate well (clean) today too. Penance for the weekend--Sgt. Bravo at Chumley's on Friday night and the new beers at LBC (Heron Island and Hop Frog) Saturday at the Mosey Down Main Street.

Got to cool my jets on the beers.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    :wavey: I haven't chcked in for a while, but I've been trying to run 3 miles every other morning before work. So far so good :yesway:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    :wavey: I haven't chcked in for a while, but I've been trying to run 3 miles every other morning before work. So far so good :yesway:

I have a mental block when it comes to running. I always feel like my check is going to explode. I can do treadmills, but just not open-road or trail running. I used to love running in formation and lead most of the cadence calling and my commander wasn't a turtle. Still, my PT test was always in the 13's. I'm sure it's a mental thing, but I just can't seem to overcome it.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I'd rather run outside than a treadmill anyday.
    :thumbsup:
    I have a mental block when it comes to running. I always feel like my check is going to explode. I can do treadmills, but just not open-road or trail running. I used to love running in formation and lead most of the cadence calling and my commander wasn't a turtle. Still, my PT test was always in the 13's. I'm sure it's a mental thing, but I just can't seem to overcome it.
    Maybe just need a running buddy :dunno:
    Or start slower and try not to push so fast. I could barely make it a mile when I first started. Now 3 miles is pretty easy, but I don't run the fastest yet. I average between 9 & 10 min/mile for the 3 mile run.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    :thumbsup:

Maybe just need a running buddy :dunno:
    Or start slower and try not to push so fast. I could barely make it a mile when I first started. Now 3 miles is pretty easy, but I don't run the fastest yet. I average between 9 & 10 min/mile for the 3 mile run.

Don't know how old you are but you get slower as you get older. Just enjoy the run.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I think 9-10 minutes a mile for a 3 mile run is good.

I haven't tried running more than 1.5 miles, but I have been able to get a mile in 8.5 minutes,
    I probably should try running more for distance.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yeah, but I can't get in that position even with just the bar. I'm wondering if there is an alternative position?

I don't do them often since back squats work well for me and I can keep proper form, but if I do them, I cross my arms and set the bar in the "trough" that's created when you do that.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    One of the things I see in the gym with free weights is bad form. I should know, bad form hurts.

My progress as an old man at 60. Squats (full squat past parallel) at 180. Overhead press 105 (tough). Deadlift 225. Benchpress 110 (not stressing yet). Barbell row 130. I increase my weights by 5lb each visit except deadlift at 10lb.

Now I know these numbers are not big but I am working on it. I have been working on 3 days a week but occasionally skip a day and do 2 days for the week.

Last time I did this same exercise program I got to a stage where my Quadriceps were in pain for weeks. I believe I overworked them without enough of a couple of things. Rest, water, and protein. I am ingesting more water, listening to my pain for rest, and eating more protein. Another thing I did was have bad form for squats (I like squats) and hurt myself which took a year to recover from (age).

Well, I think those are actually pretty good numbers. I don't know what your frequency is, sets, reps, etc. but by your posts it sounds like you know what you are doing. Which means you know that it's not necessarily how much weight you are putting on the bars anyway.

Though I have stopped going past parallel on my squats. (I'll be 55 this year)

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    poids07a.gif

Top Bottom