• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Just finished this - https://robbwolf.com/wiredtoeat/ and now starting this one - It Starts With Food, by Dallas & Melissa Hartwig

I'll probably look at starting Wolf's 30 day reset plan soon. I'm curious to see how it affects some long standing health issues for me.

Looks interesting. My manager is current doing a ketogenic eating plan.

What worked for me started about 30 years ago(I'm 57). I grew up in the restaurant business and we ate good food and I came to appreciate good food. What prevented me from becoming a full-fledged "foodie" was this decision:

Food is fuel first; I only have one body, one life and I want to live a premium life, so I consume premium "fuel". My wife and I then began making small changes to our diet over the years. Now, we eat no processed foods, no pop, no sugary desserts, ice cream, candies and other foods laden with sugar and/or artificial ingredients.

Thing is: people think I am denying myself these things. Not true. Because of the decision made back then and the gradual change, I have essentially "re-mapped" my palate. I don't want those foods and I don't even like the flavor of them.

I don't follow any current or past "diet" but if you were going to try to describe how I eat it would probably mostly align with Paleo. Meat, fruits, vegetables, little wheat, less sugar and very little dairy.

This book appears to be one that is trying to get one away from "diets" and make a wholesale change in how one views eating as a whole.

Keep us posted on how it goes as you dig into it.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Today was Fran with DBs

21-15-9
    25# dumb bell thrusters
    pull ups

I did it in 9:57. A girl I work with did it in 4:35 with the same weight. She's insane though

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco

Thing is: people think I am denying myself these things. Not true. Because of the decision made back then and the gradual change, I have essentially "re-mapped" my palate. I don't want those foods and I don't even like the flavor of them.

This book appears to be one that is trying to get one away from "diets" and make a wholesale change in how one views eating as a whole.

Keep us posted on how it goes as you dig into it.
    Will do. These two things are essentially what I'm trying to do. I usually eat pretty clean about 50-60% of the time, but have a tendency to go off the rails. I'd like to be able to do it gradually, but I think I'm going to have to force myself down this road to get used to preparing food ahead of time. My schedule does not lend itself well to cooking and cleaning up afterwards every night.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    BJJ this morning, CrossFit later today after the shooting range.

My wife is going to be starting a macros diet soon. I'll let her be the guinea pig and if it works well I may try it. My current "diet" is just to eat real foods and not processed crap.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    BJJ this morning, CrossFit later today after the shooting range.

My wife is going to be starting a macros diet soon. I'll let her be the guinea pig and if it works well I may try it. My current "diet" is just to eat real foods and not processed crap.
    I just started the macros, I also intermittent fast 1-2x's a week. I have about 6 more lbs to loose for the weight class I want to compete in.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I just started the macros, I also intermittent fast 1-2x's a week. I have about 6 more lbs to loose for the weight class I want to compete in.

Good luck! I have no plans to compete at this point as I'm not very good. It's a good workout and I've learned a lot, so that's all I'm looking for. I'm interested to see how the macro diet goes.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    My wife bought a 1byone scale that calculates body fat. I'm at 21.6% but a BMI of 33.4. That last number is annoying since I have a lot of muscle. I'd like to get more into the 15-17% body fat at some point. Harder as I get older :(

just spend 90 mins prepping a meal for this plan. That is not something I can maintain

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I did some one-legged squats while standing on a box. This lets me not keep the off leg straight out. Much easier since my leg doesn't cramp

update: my glutes are sore today.

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    My wife bought a 1byone scale that calculates body fat. I'm at 21.6% but a BMI of 33.4. That last number is annoying since I have a lot of muscle. I'd like to get more into the 15-17% body fat at some point. Harder as I get older :(

just spend 90 mins prepping a meal for this plan. That is not something I can maintain

I was just talking with someone how BMI is bull**** and irrelevant since it doesn't make any difference between fat and muscle.
    I don't know why people care about their BMI.You can't tell if someone is obese or fit by knowing their BMI.

How can a scale tell you your body fat percentage accuratly???
    It can't even tell if there's a human being or a bag of potatoes on it. :dunno:

I know professional atlhetes use full body scanners and expensive high tech stuff to know their body fat percentage.
    Not sure why they would do that if a simple commercial scale could tell you that with the same accuracy.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

I know professional atlhetes use full body scanners and expensive high tech stuff to know their body fat percentage.
    Not sure why they would do that if a simple commercial scale could tell you that with the same accuracy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioelectrical_impedance_analysis

It's an estimate but reasonably accurate I think

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    I was just talking with someone how BMI is bull**** and irrelevant since it doesn't make any difference between fat and muscle.
    I don't know why people care about their BMI.You can't tell if someone is obese or fit by knowing their BMI.

I have one of the body fat monitor scales. I do not know how accurate it is. As long as it is consistent in how it determines the percentage, I can track my progress even if the actual % isn't dead on. I am more concerned about monitoring my progress so hopefully it is accurate/consistent enough for that purpose.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I have one of the body fat monitor scales. I do not know how accurate it is. As long as it is consistent in how it determines the percentage, I can track my progress even if the actual % isn't dead on. I am more concerned about monitoring my progress so hopefully it is accurate/consistent enough for that purpose.

According to the link Doc provided the accuracy depends a lot on when you use your scale (after a meal, after a workout, if you drank water or not).
    It's just like a regular scale where it will give you a different reading depending on the time of the day.

Top Bottom