• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Rowers are great, as are air assault bikes. What burns calories the best...muscle. It burns calories even while you sleep. You build muscle and you build your fat burning machine. A mix of cardio and lifting will do you well. I had by BF measured and it determined how much actual muscle I was carrying around. The machine estimated that I use 2400 calories a day just to maintain, not counting all that I burn when I train. Gives me a ballpark to track my intake. The less muscle, the fewer calories I'll burn a rest. A pound of muscle burns about 10 calories a day at rest. Coming from a sedentary lifestyle, cardio will build some muscle. However, that will plateau rather quickly. Deadlifts, back squats, front squats, shoulder presses, bench presses, are the go-to for muscle building and can be performed with a barbell, dumbbells, or kettlebells. Kettlebell swings are also a great movement for building muscle.

Kettlebells are also cheap, and you only need enough room to swing them.

We have a concept 2 rower and love it.

"Sigh". I want one.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    We have a concept 2 rower and love it.

Are they considered the standard against which all others are measured? I'm expecting my bonus to be around what it look like they are going for online. What model do you have?

I'm 6' 4", so I'm not sure if my height would make me need a specialized model or not.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Rowers are great, as are air assault bikes. What burns calories the best...muscle. It burns calories even while you sleep. You build muscle and you build your fat burning machine. A mix of cardio and lifting will do you well. I had by BF measured and it determined how much actual muscle I was carrying around. The machine estimated that I use 2400 calories a day just to maintain, not counting all that I burn when I train. Gives me a ballpark to track my intake. The less muscle, the fewer calories I'll burn a rest. A pound of muscle burns about 10 calories a day at rest. Coming from a sedentary lifestyle, cardio will build some muscle. However, that will plateau rather quickly. Deadlifts, back squats, front squats, shoulder presses, bench presses, are the go-to for muscle building and can be performed with a barbell, dumbbells, or kettlebells. Kettlebell swings are also a great movement for building muscle.

Thank you for the advice! I think I would have the room for kettlebell work as well.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'm on the exercise bike surfing INGO and eating Pop Chips! I'm an excellent multi-tasker!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Are they considered the standard against which all others are measured? I'm expecting my bonus to be around what it look like they are going for online. What model do you have?

I'm 6' 4", so I'm not sure if my height would make me need a specialized model or not.

they seem to be the most popular in my limited experience. I have a concept 2 with the display a "pm5" I think, whatver current generation is. I'm 6'3" and it fits just fine. Huge feet are accommodated too with adjustable foot rests and straps

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    they seem to be the most popular in my limited experience. I have a concept 2 with the display a "pm5" I think, whatver current generation is. I'm 6'3" and it fits just fine. Huge feet are accommodated too with adjustable foot rests and straps

Thanks! Glad to hear it accommodates! I might be ordering one soon!

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    It's that time of year. I work out, but I eat and drink like crap so the weight I lost is slowly creeping back on.

I can't keep up with all you muscle heads in here doing like 1000 pushups before breakfast or whateverthehell you all do.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Do you guys think that a rowing machine is a good overall machine for cardio/calorie burning? I'm thinking of getting one for at home with my Christmas bonus.

I will be a dissenting person. I have tried the rowing machines at the Y (they just got new ones, so I have tried two different types) and HATE them. I can barely suffer through a 10 minute warm-up before going off to do other things.

Have you tried a rowing machine? My point is to suggest that you try one before buying.

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    It's that time of year. I work out, but I eat and drink like crap so the weight I lost is slowly creeping back on.

I can't keep up with all you muscle heads in here doing like 1000 pushups before breakfast or whateverthehell you all do.

Slacker.

I do all my pushups after breakfast generally speaking.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Thanks for the advice! What else do you think would be good to add? I'm mostly looking for calorie burning stuff, with adding strength being a secondary goal. I can walk on our property and bike when the weather is nice. I also have access to a gym room at work, but I'm limited a bit with using that. There is a treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike, and two weight racks. But I have no idea how to use the weight racks really.

And I am working on how I eat and how much, not just exercise.

For the weights, is there a personal trainer available? Can you hire one?

I knew I needed to lift this winter to reach my goals. (Heck, I needed a coach to help me reach my goals - but that is another story). Anyway, I never learned to lift properly and was scared of getting hurt. So I hired a trainer at the Y with the primary goal of teaching me how to lift correctly. I got lucky and one of the trainers used to be a winning body builder. Form and technique is what we worked on for a solid month! I still have questions periodically and she helps correct my form. Worth every penny to learn to lift correctly.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine

I just had a donut and some homemade candy. Thanks office kitchen for the magically appearing abundance of sweets!

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    I just had a donut and some homemade candy. Thanks office kitchen for the magically appearing abundance of sweets!

Yeah, we get something at least once a day this time of year in the office from various vendors. Hard to resist the temptation. No one ever sends vegetables...

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Yeah, we get something at least once a day this time of year in the office from various vendors. Hard to resist the temptation. No one ever sends vegetables...

We give out fruit baskets. Our deliveries go out next week though, when most of the people will be on vacation.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Today wasn't too bad
    150m row or 100m run (I ran for 5 rounds, indoors)
    4 power cleans
    4 hanging power cleans
    AMRAP 12 mins.

i did 125# then dropped to 105# after round one.

and I still eat like crap as stated above :(

Top Bottom