• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    If my rib is up to it, I'm thinking of going to BGI and trying out one of their rowing machine displays. If I like it enough, I'm seriously considering selling off my AR to buy one.

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    If my rib is up to it, I'm thinking of going to BGI and trying out one of their rowing machine displays. If I like it enough, I'm seriously considering selling off my AR to buy one.

I would really like to get a rowing machine but can't talk the wife into it. I want one of the Concept 2 rowers.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Be careful with that rib. Lots of core involvement in rowing on one of those. Don't hesitate to buy one though, they make for awesome cardio and active recovery workouts! Looking to get one of those or an Air Assault bike next year.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Be careful with that rib. Lots of core involvement in rowing on one of those. Don't hesitate to buy one though, they make for awesome cardio and active recovery workouts! Looking to get one of those or an Air Assault bike next year.

Couldn't do one pull up last night. So, I gave up and ate an oatmeal creme pie :)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm working up to pull-ups. Started with the green band, now I am at blue band or red and pink band depending on WOD. When I started in July I could maybe do one strict pull-up and zero kipping pull-ups.

My goal is to be doing pull-ups without any assistance before I get a year in CrossFit.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Greg it took me months before I could do a strict pull up. Probably close to 9. The Kipping ones started sooner. I did 8 Kipping the other day in a max set. We are doing a month of pull up work. Today was 5,4,3,2,2 sets. I used a blue band and didn't get chin over the bar on all of them. Hoping to be better at them by Murph in May. Dropping 20# would help.

today was Diane
    21-15-9
    deadlift (I did 165#)
    handstand push ups (I used a 45 and 25 under my head with an ab mat, so not full ROM)
    6:11. In April we did it and I had same weight and did push press instead of HSPU, took me 8:50

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    today was Diane
    21-15-9
    deadlift (I did 165#)
    handstand push ups (I used a 45 and 25 under my head with an ab mat, so not full ROM)
    6:11. In April we did it and I had same weight and did push press instead of HSPU, took me 8:50
    That's some pretty awesome progress Doc, nice! :yesway:

We just did a workout earlier this week with 5 strict pull-ups per round, man I forgot how quick those go away. Kipping is much easier! :)

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Do you guys think that a rowing machine is a good overall machine for cardio/calorie burning? I'm thinking of getting one for at home with my Christmas bonus.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Do you guys think that a rowing machine is a good overall machine for cardio/calorie burning? I'm thinking of getting one for at home with my Christmas bonus.

I think it would be good for both as well as gaining strength. Rowing is not unlike a proper deadlift. With the C2 you can crank up the resistance and pull hard or you can dial is down and go for speed. You can emphasize legs or upper body. Heck by adjusting your technique you put more emphasis on your quads or on your glutes/hamstrings.

I really like rowing, though it wouldn't be the only thing I would do.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I think it would be good for both as well as gaining strength. Rowing is not unlike a proper deadlift. With the C2 you can crank up the resistance and pull hard or you can dial is down and go for speed. You can emphasize legs or upper body. Heck by adjusting your technique you put more emphasis on your quads or on your glutes/hamstrings.

I really like rowing, though it wouldn't be the only thing I would do.

Thanks for the advice! What else do you think would be good to add? I'm mostly looking for calorie burning stuff, with adding strength being a secondary goal. I can walk on our property and bike when the weather is nice. I also have access to a gym room at work, but I'm limited a bit with using that. There is a treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike, and two weight racks. But I have no idea how to use the weight racks really.

And I am working on how I eat and how much, not just exercise.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Thanks for the advice! What else do you think would be good to add? I'm mostly looking for calorie burning stuff, with adding strength being a secondary goal. I can walk on our property and bike when the weather is nice. I also have access to a gym room at work, but I'm limited a bit with using that. There is a treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike, and two weight racks. But I have no idea how to use the weight racks really.

And I am working on how I eat and how much, not just exercise.
    Rowers are great, as are air assault bikes. What burns calories the best...muscle. It burns calories even while you sleep. You build muscle and you build your fat burning machine. A mix of cardio and lifting will do you well. I had by BF measured and it determined how much actual muscle I was carrying around. The machine estimated that I use 2400 calories a day just to maintain, not counting all that I burn when I train. Gives me a ballpark to track my intake. The less muscle, the fewer calories I'll burn a rest. A pound of muscle burns about 10 calories a day at rest. Coming from a sedentary lifestyle, cardio will build some muscle. However, that will plateau rather quickly. Deadlifts, back squats, front squats, shoulder presses, bench presses, are the go-to for muscle building and can be performed with a barbell, dumbbells, or kettlebells. Kettlebell swings are also a great movement for building muscle.

Top Bottom