• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    I'd say it depends on your goals, like the article says. If you're solely trying to target that one muscle or overload for absolute max strength, seems like it would be fine. For all around strength purposes, I'd say the extra work your core and back get while stabilizing is a big benefit (rather than the detriment the article portrays).

I wouldn't use a Smith machine just to say I can front squat X pounds (I'm guessing I can do more in a Smith machine than with free weights). JMO.

ETA: I come from a Crossfit & soccer background, so the isolation/overload stuff is not as applicable to my purposes or goals.

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    So I stepped up again today on the rowing challenge. Put on survivor season 1 and went to town. I rowed 1000m at the gym for 60 cal and then did another 19,000m at home for a total calorie of 1,160 today, 20,000m

my calves are cramping. I am exhausted.

the goal was the tire myself out tonight in case trump loses I can still sleep

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Anyone have any opinions with doing front squats with a smith machine?

https://www.t-nation.com/training/t...ok&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=article4815

My opinion since you asked is to do front squats without the Smith machine. Just take the weight off the rack and squat it.

But my disclaimer is that I'm older and not in the chase for heavy lifting. I want to use good form and gain general physical preparedness. If I max out one day with a 200lb front squat, I don't care if I keep increasing the weight. I can always do more or do them faster.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    So I stepped up again today on the rowing challenge. Put on survivor season 1 and went to town. I rowed 1000m at the gym for 60 cal and then did another 19,000m at home for a total calorie of 1,160 today, 20,000m

my calves are cramping. I am exhausted.

the goal was the tire myself out tonight in case trump loses I can still sleep
    I have tried the rowing machine and find it almost as bad as listening to HRC.

I did a serious pull on my left hamstring last month and am STILL trying to recover from it. daily self-massage and TLC and the thing is starting to get better.

Ran 4 miles and then swam 1600-ish yards today.

So much more to do.
    I

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Hero wod Three Wise Men on Saturday in honor of Veteran's Day, then squats and bench yesterday. I scaled the squat snatches to power snatches with 95 lbs and did box step overs to keep my knee together. Check out Three Wise Men Foundation

Three Wise Men:
    "Jeremy"
    AMRAP 4min
    5 Hang Squat Snatch 135/95 lbs
    10 Burpees over the Barbell
    --Rest 2 minutes--
    "Ben"
    AMRAP 4min
    10 Power Cleans 135/95 lbs
    20 Pull-Ups
    --Rest 2 minutes--
    "Beau"
    AMRAP 4min
    15 Box Jump Overs 24/20 in
    30 Wall Balls 20/14 lbs

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    exactly Sylvain. I took 8 days off due to schedule and overall "blah" feeling after rowing 20000m. I tried to go yesterday but our son didn't feel well and so we left before even starting :(

Today was a shoulder grinder. I did 5 rounds plus 12 reps of:

10 push press
    5 strict pull ups (with a green resistance band)
    AMRAP 10 minutes

Tomorrow is just max push up set and max back squat. I'm hoping to get 30 something in push ups

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    This is fitness related. I competed in a Jiu Jitsu tournament Saturday, the Extreme Grappling Open (EGO). Lost more than i won but it was a lot of fun.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    This is fitness related. I competed in a Jiu Jitsu tournament Saturday, the Extreme Grappling Open (EGO). Lost more than i won but it was a lot of fun.

Are you the guy in white?

I martial arts you learn more by your defeats from my experience.
    And better learn from your mistakes in a dojo than on the street in a real fight.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Just continuing the circuit training on Tuesday and Thursdays. Tonight we did burpee pull ups, speed bag, mook jong and jump rope 1 minute each, 10 repetitions.

Mon, Wed, Fri, and Sat AM I do Wing Chun. Last night I did nothing but swords and chi sao. Sundays we ride or run the hill.

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    The wife and I have been doing one of the programs from Beachbody. Plus I am still doing my 800 push-ups/day (Monday-Friday). I have been mixing in a run periodically also.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Yeah I'm the baldy. It is so true. While I really try to win, in the end, my ultimate goal is to give it my best. I was competing in front of my coaches and other students and I wanted to show them that I was using what I was taught. I had 5 matches, 3-5 minutes matches in Gi and 2-6 minute matches in no-Gi. It was exhausting as there was virtually no downtime between matches.

Are you the guy in white?

I martial arts you learn more by your defeats from my experience.
    And better learn from your mistakes in a dojo than on the street in a real fight.

Top Bottom