• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I have been sets of pushups all day while I am work. I take a break every 30 minutes and do a quick set. I do this in addition to whatever workout I do when I get home. This is week 6 or 7. I am up to 700/day.

That's a lot!
    Are you noticing that you're getting stronger already? Can you do more in raw?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I went from about 6 diet cokes/day to zero and didn't notice anything. I'm just not a headache getter though. I'm coming up on seven weeks without a drop of caffeinated drinks. I'm probably healthier for it but no change in weight.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I went from about 6 diet cokes/day to zero and didn't notice anything. I'm just not a headache getter though. I'm coming up on seven weeks without a drop of caffeinated drinks. I'm probably healthier for it but no change in weight.

I've been off soda for a long time now. But I'd like to get where I'm not drinking caffeine at all.

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    That's a lot!
    Are you noticing that you're getting stronger already? Can you do more in raw?

I do feel stronger. I have bumped my sets up to 35 at a time. I don't want to do too many because I don't want to start sweating. I may push it to 40 reps after a few weeks but that is probably my max for awhile. I can do more at a time but don't want to for this purpose.

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    I've been off soda for a long time now. But I'd like to get where I'm not drinking caffeine at all.

My caffeine intake is intermittent in the form of tea. I will go through phases where I will drink it every day and then may have weeks or months with almost none at all. I booted sodas quite awhile ago.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I do feel stronger. I have bumped my sets up to 35 at a time. I don't want to do too many because I don't want to start sweating. I may push it to 40 reps after a few weeks but that is probably my max for awhile. I can do more at a time but don't want to for this purpose.

I just do a max rep once in a while to see if I'm getting stronger or not, around 70 right now.

I rarely do more than 25 at a time, I started doing weighted pushups more as well ... with a 26 pounds packpack.
    I try to also do 20 or 25 in a row with the bag. :faint: Much tougher, especially if I did weighter pull ups/chin ups before.

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    I just do a max rep once in a while to see if I'm getting stronger or not, around 70 right now.

I rarely do more than 25 at a time, I started doing weighted pushups more as well ... with a 26 pounds packpack.
    I try to also do 20 or 25 in a row with the bag. :faint: Much tougher, especially if I did weighter pull ups/chin ups before.

Weighted pullups are the worst. Regular ones are hard enough...

I would probably max out at 70-80 right now as well.

I have been running a lot more the last few weeks, 3-4 days/week instead of other cardio.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    You should do some decline push-ups or inverted ones with your feet on your desk. Work different muscle groups a bit. That is really impressive by the way!

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    You should do some decline push-ups or inverted ones with your feet on your desk. Work different muscle groups a bit. That is really impressive by the way!

Not a bad idea. I do try and mix in some different hand positions on the push-ups to target additional muscles.

Since I sit at a desk all day, this at least gets me up and moving every 30 minutes and raises my heart rate a bit.

My main concern is wear and tear on my shoulders and elbows. So far, haven't had any issues.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

I do sometimes.I mostly do different hand positions.
    On my fists, diamond pushs (with thumbs touching), whide grip, hands forward past shoulder (works the shoulders more) etc ...
    Also doing all those with one leg up, and switching for the next set.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have nothing new to report. We have just been doing tabatas and circuits. Sundays we usually bike or run.

Yesterday we mixed it up and did a hill run.

I am leaving office and doing Wing Chun tonight. Moderate exercise, but it beats going to a microbrewery. Too old to bend the elbow like I used to.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    10 days post-op, got my sutures taken out and cleared for low impact stuff. :rockwoot: Going to be a lot of time on the rower and airdyne, and lots of core work the next 4 weeks till I get full clearance. Definitely ready to get back in the gym.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Old man here back to lifting weights. Week 8 and I am now starting to hit my limit in the overhead press (90 lb) Squats are getting heavier but still not a real struggle (135 lb). After the gym I come home and ice my one knee and one shoulder to limit inflammation from popping up. It helps along with warming up with lighter weights.

Still working at my walking desk which I put together from a treadmill and a countertop.

The right shoes are important. I see people lifting in running shoes and you can see them rolling forward putting more weight on the balls of their feet. It is better to lift without shoes on then to wear running shoes.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Not a bad idea. I do try and mix in some different hand positions on the push-ups to target additional muscles.

Since I sit at a desk all day, this at least gets me up and moving every 30 minutes and raises my heart rate a bit.

My main concern is wear and tear on my shoulders and elbows. So far, haven't had any issues.

I have been trying a few new pushup postions.

One leg pushups and weighted one leg push ups.

Also tried doing push ups with one leg and one arm only ... now that's getting tough.
    Just holding a regular push up position and raising one leg and one arm is tough, It's like a harder version of the plank.

I couldn't do one single push up that way yet.

SIngle-Arm-Single-Leg-Push-Up1.png

It's hard to balance as well.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    10 days post-op, got my sutures taken out and cleared for low impact stuff. :rockwoot: Going to be a lot of time on the rower and airdyne, and lots of core work the next 4 weeks till I get full clearance. Definitely ready to get back in the gym.

good news, glad you're recovering!

I ran two miles today in our hot non-AC'd back patio. Then 30 mins later went to crossfit with my dad :(

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I have been trying a few new pushup postions.

One leg pushups and weighted one leg push ups.

Also tried doing push ups with one leg and one arm only ... now that's getting tough.
    Just holding a regular push up position and raising one leg and one arm is tough, It's like a harder version of the plank.

I couldn't do one single push up that way yet.

SIngle-Arm-Single-Leg-Push-Up1.png

It's hard to balance as well.

How about using an aarm and a leg on the same side and keeping your body horizontal. Me thinks you will be a real stud when you do that! :)

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Today's workout was awful. Took me 26 mins 10 seconds and I did jump rope jump overs instead of the 10" PVC pipes round 2-5. I did 10 double unders instead of 20 and 25, basically single-single-double until i got 10

RXD

20 Double Unders
    10 Air Squats
    5 Rounds
    20 Parallete Lateral Jumps
    10 Burpees
    5 Rounds
    25 Double Unders
    15 Air squats
    5 Rounds

then I did a 365# deadlift. Proud of that one! :):

Site Supporter