• hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Smiler, that sucks! Feeling any better?

i did my first rope climb today all the way up :):

squat clean PR of 175#. I feel like I could have gotten 185# but didn't catch it in the rack position and it fell forward. Next time.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Smiler, that sucks! Feeling any better?

i did my first rope climb today all the way up :):

squat clean PR of 175#. I feel like I could have gotten 185# but didn't catch it in the rack position and it fell forward. Next time.

I am good, my Spartan isn't till Dec so I still have time to get it together.

Our class usually has 4 rope climbs thrown in it and that is before you go inside to do heavy lifting pulling, your hands are smoked and it makes simple tasks impossible, feels good to own that rope.

My next quest is a muscle up, people that can do that have made it!

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I am good, my Spartan isn't till Dec so I still have time to get it together.

Our class usually has 4 rope climbs thrown in it and that is before you go inside to do heavy lifting pulling, your hands are smoked and it makes simple tasks impossible, feels good to own that rope.

My next quest is a muscle up, people that can do that have made it!

Ah yes, the muscle up. Or better known as "the method gymnasts use to mount the rings to start their performance" :)

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    This is my goal for the end of the year, along with handstand walks. Already have bar muscle ups, just gotta get em on the rings.

I want to try doing a muscle up thingy ... the problem is that I don't have the set up to do it.

My pull up bar is too close to the ceiling. :noway:

Is there a way to simulate doing them, like doing pull ups and dips? :dunno:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I want to try doing a muscle up thingy ... the problem is that I don't have the set up to do it.

Do you have rings? We used them to lean way back and then pull up and complete a dip as training for muscle up. Everything is harder on the rings.

Is your bar far enough away from the wall that you can get a swing going? If so you could work on pulling the bar up to your waist and being parallel to the ceiling. Then it is just a rotation to be on top of the bar.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Ah yes, the muscle up. Or better known as "the method gymnasts use to mount the rings to start their performance" :)
    Shush you! :lmfao: One of the harder movements in CrossFit, and gymnasts don't even rate it! Those guys are nuts.

Sure, most people scale to pull-ups and dips during a workout if they don't have muscle ups. My problem is the transition between the two. You could get a set of rings to hang from your pull-up bar and work on strict muscle-ups from kneeling or sitting.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Shush you! :lmfao: One of the harder movements in CrossFit, and gymnasts don't even rate it! Those guys are nuts.

Sure, most people scale to pull-ups and dips during a workout if they don't have muscle ups. My problem is the transition between the two. You could get a set of rings to hang from your pull-up bar and work on strict muscle-ups from kneeling or sitting.
    In 7 years of CrossFitting, I've yet to do ONE muscle up. I used to work on them then I just stopped bothering.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I don't have rings.
    I probably just need to go to park where they have those pull up bars.

Rings are like $20, I threw mine around my pull up bar that goes in the door frame, to get started you lower them until they are almost touching the ground then you do ring pushups, trust me this is hard but how you get started at home and cheap.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Rings are like $20, I threw mine around my pull up bar that goes in the door frame, to get started you lower them until they are almost touching the ground then you do ring pushups, trust me this is hard but how you get started at home and cheap.

I guess it's harder to do muscle ups with rings instead of a bar?
    I probably need to start with a bar.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    I guess it's harder to do muscle ups with rings instead of a bar?
    I probably need to start with a bar.
    IMO yes, rings are more difficult. A bar doesn't move and offers a bit of a crutch if you miss, and the transition is easier to learn. Rings require more control and the transition is more technical.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    IMO yes, rings are more difficult. A bar doesn't move and offers a bit of a crutch if you miss, and the transition is easier to learn. Rings require more control and the transition is more technical.

Well my bar is attached with a rope, so it can swing.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Hmm that would be interesting, never tried that. Our bar is fixed within a larger rig of racks and pull up bars.

The bar doesn't move when I do pull ups or chin ups, but it can swing freely.

It's a regular pull up bar designed to fit inside a door frame, and attached to a beam on the ceiling with a rope.

sunny-health-fitness-door-way-chin-up.jpg

Just like a trapeze but with shorted ropes.

nakeanphotography-2-1024x886.jpg

Great to train with a buddy.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    The bar doesn't move when I do pull ups or chin ups, but it can swing freely.

It's a regular pull up bar designed to fit inside a door frame, and attached to a beam on the ceiling with a rope.

sunny-health-fitness-door-way-chin-up.jpg

Just like a trapeze but with shorted ropes.

nakeanphotography-2-1024x886.jpg

Great to train with a buddy.

My set up, the rings adjust so you can put them almost to the ground.

When I said I wanted to be able to do muscle ups I ment muscle ups using rings, I didn't even know you could do them with a bar, that would be to easy, ring muscle ups are brutal!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Really getting tired of not being able to breathe at crossfit. I am trying to work more on cardio. I wonder if I've gotten strong to the point I've eclipsed my cardio fitness, making the quick heavy workouts tough? Who knows.

regardless I did 20 min walk/jog at incline 1 on treadmill. Ran at 6-6.5 and walked at 3.5. Did 1.5 miles. Then I did fast intervals of 1/8 miles. 4 of them at 9mph and one at 10mph. That felt good.

i also think my crappy body fortress protein from Walmart is screwing with me. No supplements for a bit then starting optimum nutrition protein

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Really getting tired of not being able to breathe at crossfit. I am trying to work more on cardio. I wonder if I've gotten strong to the point I've eclipsed my cardio fitness, making the quick heavy workouts tough? Who knows.

regardless I did 20 min walk/jog at incline 1 on treadmill. Ran at 6-6.5 and walked at 3.5. Did 1.5 miles. Then I did fast intervals of 1/8 miles. 4 of them at 9mph and one at 10mph. That felt good.

i also think my crappy body fortress protein from Walmart is screwing with me. No supplements for a bit then starting optimum nutrition protein

YOu're the doc according to your screenname! But I would think that fast weight training exercises owuld be giving you the carido workout taht you need fo that kind of thing at least. Teh kettle bell programs seem to be giving me a lot of cardio (according to my fitbit hr) and its a lot more enjoyable than running. I even switched it up a tbit this weekend and did some treadmill timed intervals that seemed to go well for me in terms of cardio.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Tonight was first workout without metoprolol. I finished a month and cardiologist said I can stop it. Workout was:

400m run holding 15# plate
    24 deadlifts 185#
    400m run without plate
    3 rounds, 20 min time cap

I made it to last set of deadlifts and did one. i surprised myself that I wasn't completely winded at the end of the first run. I think the toprol was really holding me back. Very excited to see how these next workouts go.

Top Bottom