Indy Kroger Employee Shoots Would-be Robber in the Face!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I just got back from a ban and am not going to read all 20 pages of this but I did scan it. My 2cents:

Man gets a job and signs a paper agreeing to certain terms and policies. Man ignores his legal and binding agreement to not bring guns to his place of employment, private property. Scumbag tries to rob store, good guy kills him.

Now, lets look at this the same way we look at sooo many other situations on here regarding property rights. The shooter is protected by the law in that we are allowed to intervene with deadly force upon witness of a violent felony, but he COULD be charged with criminal trespass if Kroger chooses to press the issue. Shooter will and SHOULD lose his job. Shooter will and should find a better job where his initiative will be rewarded. Kroger just like you or me or anyone else has the right to say what can and can't be taken onto their property and what their terms of employment are provided it does not infringe upon a protected class. I agree the shooter did the right thing and would do the same. My company has a no guns policy as well, very similar to the one kroger has in that they make up laws to defend their position and don't know what they are talking about...being lead around by their insurance companies. I carry anyways knowing full well if I ever use my gun I will need a new job. I would rather make it home to my children with no job than the alternative, I can get a new job. My point is that rules is rules and we all must accept the consequences when we knowingly and willingly choose to break them.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Speaking of The Other Employee - has anyone identified her? I mean, it seems like she'd be pretty important to sorting the whole thing out.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    She probably quit and ran for the hills:D I mean, can you imagine, you go to work and get a gun in your back, taken to the back room and are now int he middle of a shooting?

Husband: How was work?
    Wife: "Oh, it was pretty uneventful"

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I just got back from a ban and am not going to read all 20 pages of this but I did scan it. My 2cents:

Man gets a job and signs a paper agreeing to certain terms and policies. Man ignores his legal and binding agreement to not bring guns to his place of employment, private property. Scumbag tries to rob store, good guy kills him.

Now, lets look at this the same way we look at sooo many other situations on here regarding property rights. The shooter is protected by the law in that we are allowed to intervene with deadly force upon witness of a violent felony, but he COULD be charged with criminal trespass if Kroger chooses to press the issue. Shooter will and SHOULD lose his job. Shooter will and should find a better job where his initiative will be rewarded. Kroger just like you or me or anyone else has the right to say what can and can't be taken onto their property and what their terms of employment are provided it does not infringe upon a protected class. I agree the shooter did the right thing and would do the same. My company has a no guns policy as well, very similar to the one kroger has in that they make up laws to defend their position and don't know what they are talking about...being lead around by their insurance companies. I carry anyways knowing full well if I ever use my gun I will need a new job. I would rather make it home to my children with no job than the alternative, I can get a new job. My point is that rules is rules and we all must accept the consequences when we knowingly and willingly choose to break them.

I'm going to have to disagree with you friend. I don't see how Kroger can file a trespass charge against him...he worked there. The only way for that to happen is if they saw the gun an asked him to leave an he didn't.

Many believe that the Kroger policy is wrong, we have the right to diagree with it an defend someone if we like. Sometimes the policies change, just like laws can change if enough people can argue their point an change it. It was never against the law for him to carry at Krogers, it was not against the law for him to use it.

If this was 1939 Germany an your best friend was a Jew, would you follow the policy an law an turn him in? "Rules are rules." I know you wouldn't.

Yes Kroger can fire him.....BUT people can protest Kroger to do the right thing an not do it. If it had been you, I an many of us would be defending you an try an get your employer to do the right thing also. :)

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    ...but he COULD be charged with criminal trespass if Kroger chooses to press the issue.....
    I disagree. The man was not denied entry on the property nor was he asked to leave. He simply ignored their policy.

Can you show me one court case where a guy was convicted of tresspassing for merely ignoring a posted sign or company policy, without ever being asked to leave?

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    I'm going to have to disagree with you friend. I don't see how Kroger can file a trespass charge against him...he worked there. The only way for that to happen is if they saw the gun an asked him to leave an he didn't.

Many believe that the Kroger policy is wrong, we have the right to diagree with it an defend someone if we like. Sometimes the policies change, just like laws can change if enough people can argue their point an change it. It was never against the law for him to carry at Krogers, it was not against the law for him to use it.

If this was 1939 Germany an your best friend was a Jew, would you follow the policy an law an turn him in? "Rules are rules." I know you wouldn't.

Yes Kroger can fire him.....BUT people can protest Kroger to do the right thing an not do it. If it had been you, I an many of us would be defending you an try an get your employer to do the right thing also. :)
    I break the rules all the time as I'm sure you do too, but I expect to pay the price if caught.

I disagree. The man was not denied entry on the property nor was he asked to leave. He simply ignored their policy.

Can you show me one court case where a guy was convicted of tresspassing for merely ignoring a posted sign or company policy, without ever being asked to leave?
    I'm just working on common sense and the english language here. Kroger DID tell him not to bring a gun on their property and he agreed. IMO, at that point the "asking him to leave" portion of a trespass charge was met, perhaps even years prior. I pray this doesn't happen mind you and as I stated earlier I would have done the same. I would also expect to lose my job and perhaps the shooter does too and isn't concerned about it. The only people I hear rambling about it are here and on facebook myself included....I have argued the other side of this property right issue in other threads here before and my conclusion is that property rights DO mean something. Now IMO when one chooses to engage in commerce with the general public they must sacrifice SOME of those rights....but that's just not how it is.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Holy crap. WTHR leads off with "I'll be several days before we know if there will be charges filed against the store employee who shot and killed a robbery suspect at Kroger..."

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Holy crap. WTHR leads off with "I'll be several days before we know if there will be charges filed against the store employee who shot and killed a robbery suspect at Kroger..."
    Sure, the corp. management is still on vacation. Watch closely. They COULD file charges when their insurance company tells them to. Kroger is a business with shareholders etc....they MUST protect the bottom line.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Terry Curry , Marion County Prosecutor, will probably make the call himself.. after reviewing all the reports.. but if there was anything really "wrong" they would have arrested him that night..

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    So I guess that whole "any legal jeopardy whatsoever" in the IC means jack crap.
    The "legal jeopardy" comes not from the shooting but from his violation of policy. If charges are filed I suspect they won't have anything to do with the fact that he used his gun but rather as I stated earlier. I don't know and am a bit of a pessimist admittedly. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't trying to get me.

CSORuger

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Brownsburg Indiana
    How bad is the area were this Kroger is, that an Employee working in the office area, felt that he had to defend himself because the company would or could not provide protection for the employees? :rolleyes:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

FACEPALM.jpg

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    How bad is the area were this Kroger is, that an Employee working in the office area, felt that he had to defend himself because the company would or could not provide protection for the employees? :rolleyes:

How exactly does one know that ANY area is "safe"? :dunno:

Not trying to start something here, but personally I don't pick and choose where I carry, as long as it is legal to do so, because anywhere CAN be dangerous..

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Kroger's board room right now (I used to run the beat where their corporate HQ is located).

The corporate attorneys, who have convinced Kroger execs that it's cheaper to have employees murdered than to allow them to defend themselves, are saying that they can't back the shooter because there might be a lawsuit. And, if they let THIS guy slide, OTHER Kroger employees who want to go home to their families might start carrying too.

The PR people are scared to death of the reaction of the public (who no doubt overwhelmingly support the employee) and are arguing to retain the employee and avoid a boycott.

I have not yet seen or heard the race of the employee, but if he is the same race as the dead guy, that's a whole NEW can of worms. Fire him and there will be backlash from the minority community.

This is REALLY going to be interesting.

:popcorn:

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron

Kokomo isnt the worst of places, neither is my apartment, my grandparents house, or my workplace, but that does not stop me from being prepared to defend myself no matter where I am.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Kokomo isnt the worst of places, neither is my apartment, my grandparents house, or my workplace, but that does not stop me from being prepared to defend myself no matter where I am.

Agreed. And, since I generally avoid dangerous places, I really don't need a gun at all.

Top Bottom