• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Theres no way it's okay to hide out from a vote. They should just do their jobs and vote and lose.

How's the US House and Senate set up for this? Can Obama care have been stopped this way? Could you imagine the the crying then.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Ahhhh, another chapter in the end of the Great Keynesian Experiment! If this is the new norm and is acceptable, what kind of precedent is being sent? Do the Repubs just pack up and leave the next time the Dems get a majority and try to pass legislation? That's not how things work and I don't care what anyone says, whether my elected representative and I are on the same page or not, I currently don't have representation at the Statehouse, and that bothers me. What of the vast majority of Hoosier workers that AREN'T part of the public employee unions, where is our representation now? What we are witnessing is a great revelation of character and I believe that the peripheral consequences of this action will be far reaching :popcorn:

Who is John Galt?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I just Wikied the Indiana Senate Rules and it says:

"Two thirds of the senators must be present for the session to begin. Senators must be present at each session unless they are explicitly excused by the president-pro-tempore. Members who are not present can be forced to attend the session or be censured and expelled from the body."

Let's do it. The sooner they are censured and expelled, the quicker we can get new people in there to pass this law.

Problem is those missing are Ds and even if they get expelled and new emergency elections occur in those districts guess who is going to win? Yup another D that will most likely do the same thing again.

We don't hold politicians accountable in this country. They can even have sex, commit adultery while on the job and when caught just say no I didn't and we let them go. Case in point Dirty Bill Clinton. We hold 18 year old's in the military to a higher set of moral conduct than we do those that Lord over us.

Don't forget that they can lie about their taxes as well. :D

Stay the F%^& in Illinois. Don't ever come back you coward dirtbags. You're fired. Elections for your seats are next Monday. Deal with it.

Again we fire them and hold new elections on Monday and I bet that 99% of those districts those people will once again vote D because that is all they know how to do. Some people don't bother to listen to the canidates they just vote straight D or R and nothing else. :faint:

But you see, the people who elect them are happy with such behavior. They don't care what you folks think, you won't be voting for them anyway.

^THIS! NWI I'm sure as a whole is happy that their reps are not their since this way NWI can stick it to the Rs in INDY! :rolleyes:

I live in NWI. Maybe I will venture over the border this evening. I have an old trick that works mostly on crappy politicians. It's called the "Does this smell like chloroform?" trick. Only dem politicians are dumb enough to smell the rag. Next thing they know they are at the capitol wearing an "I'm ready to vote now!" T-shirt.

ROFL... Nice! If you find them I'll pay for the gas so you can take them back to Indy. Heck I'm such I can even get a few INGO NWI members to provide you with protection while you take those bums back to INDY!:patriot:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    It works something like this, the Gov tells the State Police go find em.

They get found, but they are in lets say The Peoples Republik of Illinois.

The Ind State Police doesn't have authority in Illinois to take into custody unless the Ill Gov says you do.

The Gov of the state can say why yes Trooper you have been granted the authority to remove the scum sucking politician from my state to your state.

If he doesn't then the Illinois State Police could be looking for the Indiana Trooper if he removed him anyway.

Kinda like if your arrested out of state for an Indiana warrant.

You can waive extradition and go to Indiana.

If you want to fight extradition then the Gov of Indiana envokes a Governors Warrant and the Governor of the State your in says get the suspect out of here or no you can't have him and off the court you go to fight out the extradition.

This is generally how it works, for exact details I am sure a lawyer can chime in and embarass me.

Okay that is how it works legally for the ISP. What about for a regular Indiana citizen? Would it be kidnapping to go grab the rep who is hiding in IL and take his/her butt to the Indy capital and had their butts to the ISP?

Assuming the rep is in IL. What if the rep is just stilling at home. Guess we can't break and enter their house but if they were say at walgreens and we grab them and drive them down to Indy. Still kidnapping at that point?

cburnworth

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I think every politician who votes present or decides to duck out on a vote should be immediately fined & as soon as there term is up they are gone. You are hired to do a job, suck it up & be man. DO YOUR D**N job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    ROFL... Nice! If you find them I'll pay for the gas so you can take them back to Indy. Heck I'm such I can even get a few INGO NWI members to provide you with protection while you take those bums back to INDY!:patriot:

Kind of like the Pony Express, except we can tie them to the roof of our cars. I live in Dyer. I volunteer from Dyer to St. John. I volunteered earlier to drive them all of the way to Indy, but I know someone in St. John that would like a state rep tied to the top of his truck.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    THIS IS A DAMN DISGRACE! If their best way of dealing with this is to tuck their tails between their legs and run then they should be removed from office and a special election held to replace the bums!!!

indyfly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    " F L E E B A G S " the term describes the childish behavior of shirking their public DUTY, duly elected and sworn to represent.

IT's TIME to DUMP LUGAR

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Actually, they are serving the people who elected them. Politics is, always has been, and always will be a dirty business. So much of the anger I see on this board is self-inflicted due to a fundamental misunderstanding of the poltical process. Ideology and politics are two separate things.

If your plan for the world is that first people must become better people, you are destined for failure as are all such systems. Politics is like the free market, but the medium of exchange isn't money, it's power and influence. You can't change that, anymore than you can change the laws of physics or economics. Politics is what it is, and constantly being upset that it isn't something else is an exercise in futility at best, and a misdirection of effort at worst.
    As Dross pointed out, this is politics. It's showmanship. We'll see how this pans out, but the situations in Wisconsin and Indiana are primarily delay tactics to allow supporters and opponents to express themselves. In the end, the measures will likely pass and the voters will be able to weight in at the next election. Certainly not worth all the angst we're seeing here.

Look at the positive aspect, lawmakers who are not in town cannot make dumb laws either. Maybe this will catch on and all legislators will just go home.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Looks like Daniels is OK with their strategy and won't be sending troopers to round them up. The dems have very few cards they can play, they just exercised one of the main cards they do have.

Daniels: I won’t send state police to round up Dems | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com

So again where does that leave avg. citizen joe? :dunno:

" F L E E B A G S " the term describes the childish behavior of shirking their public DUTY, duly elected and sworn to represent.

IT's TIME to DUMP LUGAR

:faint: LUGAR is your FEDERAL senator. This topic deals with your INDIANA HOUSE OF REPS. It has NOTHING to do with Lugar.

As Dross pointed out, this is politics. It's showmanship. We'll see how this pans out, but the situations in Wisconsin and Indiana are primarily delay tactics to allow supporters and opponents to express themselves. In the end, the measures will likely pass and the voters will be able to weight in at the next election. Certainly not worth all the angst we're seeing here.

Look at the positive aspect, lawmakers who are not in town cannot make dumb laws either. Maybe this will catch on and all legislators will just go home.

Oh so true but there are pending gun law bills that the Senate is about to pass that are going to the HOUSE that we would love to have at the governors desk this year. This is delaying that as well. :faint:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Actually, they are serving the people who elected them. Politics is, always has been, and always will be a dirty business. So much of the anger I see on this board is self-inflicted due to a fundamental misunderstanding of the poltical process. Ideology and politics are two separate things.

If your plan for the world is that first people must become better people, you are destined for failure as are all such systems. Politics is like the free market, but the medium of exchange isn't money, it's power and influence. You can't change that, anymore than you can change the laws of physics or economics. Politics is what it is, and constantly being upset that it isn't something else is an exercise in futility at best, and a misdirection of effort at worst.

I just Wikied the Indiana Senate Rules and it says:

"Two thirds of the senators must be present for the session to begin. Senators must be present at each session unless they are explicitly excused by the president-pro-tempore. Members who are not present can be forced to attend the session or be censured and expelled from the body."

Let's do it. The sooner they are censured and expelled, the quicker we can get new people in there to pass this law.

So, I am confused..

Are they "serving the people" by "breaking the rules" :dunno:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    What if the rolls were reversed? What if it was Dems were in majority and the only way for Republicans to kill a bill (ex: something dear to us all...an anti-gun law, or similar) was to walk out as the Dems did now? Would we still be having the uproar. Some yes, but I bet many more would say "Good for them." The bellyaching is party specific I am afraid.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    So, I am confused..

Are they "serving the people" by "breaking the rules" :dunno:

They are serving the people who elected them. If not, those people will remember this and vote them out the next time. If these are the people benefitting from this strategy, however, don't hold you're breath.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    What if the rolls were reversed? What if it was Dems were in majority and the only way for Republicans to kill a bill (ex: something dear to us all...an anti-gun law, or similar) was to walk out as the Dems did now? Would we still be having the uproar. Some yes, but I bet many more would say "Good for them." The bellyaching is party specific I am afraid.
    ^^This. As I keep saying, they have very few tools in their box to get anything accomplished from their side. They're just working with what they have.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    The only thing better than gridlock in a legislature is a work stoppage. I always envisioned it happening in a less voluntary way, however.

On a positive note, at least we don't have to see Pat Bauer's fat, old, ugly, freak-pseudo-haired ass on TV for the time being. That said, I still think the Dems participating in this stunt are worthless crap bags who will hopefully -- although I acknowledge it is unlikely in most places like Gary, Bloomington, South Bend and other areas of the state overburdened with former LSD-dropping day dream believers that most progressive Dems are -- be voted out in the next election cycle.

If Republicans did this to Dems, it would be a national tragedy to the media...Sylvia Poggioli would be in tears...MSNBC would probably be calling for martial law, a posse or trials. But the Donkey, the MSM and their other "Arse Friends" hee haw all the live long day, existing in whatever imaginary land they live in, reeking havoc in their wake.

And allow me one more rant...this is SOP for so-called progressives in my eyes. They never recognize the intellectual futility of their actions to make the world "better". It may be new and improved, mind you, but they never solve the core problem. Here's a bad example, but the only one I can muster this late at night:

Imagine the first "progressive" in history...4,000 years ago he sees some poor guy humping to plant a crop using a rock to dig a row. "That's a shame. This poor man...how can his life be better?" -- so he makes a plow. Now he's sad about the guy's backache after pushing that heavy plow, so he hooks an ox up to it. Then he feels bad for the ox and founds an animal rights group. Then, to make a more species-equitable world, he invents a tractor. Then he determines the tractor is polluting the air so he thinks we should... It never ends and you and I pay for it every day. They **** away more time and our $$$ to relieve the Earth of all physical and emotional suffering, which never can happen unless you become a monk in Central Asia or the Orkney Islands. And yes I'm being Demo-dramatic here, so don't email or flame me asking if I have air conditioning, running water or electricity. I do and I'm happy in my hypocrisy! :D

Screw 'em all, I'm going to have some tea...

p.s. Don't get me wrong about animal rights. I mean, I eat meat but I don't want some monkey to be strapped down and electrocuted or stuck with typhus or AIDS to make my life "better". That's what felons are for, after all.

p.p.s. Preemptively warding off another potential criticism of this post, Republicans are idiots, too, just less so than Democrats, on average.

Good night Mr and Mrs America and all ships at sea!

Last edited:

Orlando

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Tipton
    If the shoe was on the other foot don't think the republicans wouldn't do the same thing. I am glad they are taking a stand. It just so happens this is about the only tool they can use to black ball this over reaching bill.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Looks like Daniels is OK with their strategy and won't be sending troopers to round them up. The dems have very few cards they can play, they just exercised one of the main cards they do have.

But can the Senate send the doorman? Or the capital police?
    2. (a) Except as specified in subsection (b), a quorum consisting of two-thirds of the
    Senators elected must be present to do business
    (b) Twenty-five Senators with the President, or Twenty-six Senators in the absence of the
    President with the President Pro Tempore presiding or having chosen a Senator to preside if the
    President Pro Tempore is absent shall be authorized to do the following:
    Call a Senator.
    Compel the attendance of absent Senators.
    Make an order for censure.
    Adjourn.
    http://www.in.gov/legislative/session/senate1.pdf

What is required to pass a censure in Indiana?

In Congress I believe it requires two thirds majority...

If our state is the same, therein lies the issue... They would not have the votes to censure them.

Anyone have that info?

From the senate rules that I quoted above it seems if they are short of a quorum they can still pass a motion to censure. And compel the senators to show up.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom