• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    So... I am compelled by law to pay state income and sales tax. I don't have representation before the government because my state rep is in Ill. I wonder what would happen if the citizens whose state reps are AWOL would refuse to pay their state taxes because they are not allowed proper representation? Didn't we fight a war with England over this once before.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Is it possible to call for a special election to replace an absentee representative or senator?

Not easily. First, they would have to censure, which they will not do. Then, you would have to elect someone who would not employ the same tactics, which would probably not happen. Most of those districts may actually re-elect the same legislatures just because of this - and that is why both sides of the isle are loving every minute of this. Democrats get to look tough to their base, saying "we stood up against the republicans blah blah" and republicans can say "look, they run! Vote republican, we stay and fight!". Everyone but Mitch Daniels that is... who is getting a black eye over the matter.

It is not a situation where everyone's hands are tied... Tools are in place to deal with this, and nobody wants to pull the trigger.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Not easily. First, they would have to censure, which they will not do. Then, you would have to elect someone who would not employ the same tactics, which would probably not happen. Most of those districts may actually re-elect the same legislatures just because of this - and that is why both sides of the isle are loving every minute of this. Democrats get to look tough to their base, saying "we stood up against the republicans blah blah" and republicans can say "look, they run! Vote republican, we stay and fight!". Everyone but Mitch Daniels that is... who is getting a black eye over the matter.

It is not a situation where everyone's hands are tied... Tools are in place to deal with this, and nobody wants to pull the trigger.

What tools are in place. I know that Mitch can't send the state police because they are in IL.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I believe censure actually is possible. They just have shown no will to do it.

To my knowledge, at the state level, only the senate can censure the governor. Not individual members of the state senate. Also it is only a reprimand and has no real effect on the ability to perform the work.

I could be wrong and please correct me if I am.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    As one person in this thread said, they want to use this for political posturing, and as I said early they don't want it to be used against them if/when they do it.

Bill reread your earlier post, less than a quorum can make an order to fine and censure. I'm guessing that the reason that less than a quorum can do it, is to prohibit these kinds of stunts.

Tim, I was commenting based on Senate rule 77, which specifies they can vote to compel attendance or vote to adjourn. I see what you mean, though and barring info to the contrary will concede the point.

Blessings,
    Bill

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    the republicans wont do anything to them. why? because they dont want the dems to do it to them the next time they decide to do it too. the republicans here by their innactions are just assisting the dems. they should ALL be censured by the people. get your feathers.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Golly, Beav' wouldn't it be swell if the world was a better place?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBIxScJ5rlY&feature=related]YouTube - John Mayer - Waiting On The World To Change[/ame]

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I say file a lawsuit against any and all legislators that fail to show, for failure to due their jobs.

Why can't we sue them for the costs involved?

Forget about the issues, the politics, the unions, etc. They willingly neglected their duty to the citizens of Indiana. There are major $ involved now and going forward. The missing legislators and their financial backers should be held accountable for every last cent.

Make them put their union dues where their mouth is.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Why can't we sue them for the costs involved?

Forget about the issues, the politics, the unions, etc. They willingly neglected their duty to the citizens of Indiana. There are major $ involved now and going forward. The missing legislators and their financial backers should be held accountable for every last cent.

Make them put their union dues where their mouth is.

Well, just to play devil's advocate... Many of the people that voted them into office agree with what they are doing... So they didn't necessarily neglect their duties to those that elected them.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Well, just to play devil's advocate... Many of the people that voted them into office agree with what they are doing... So they didn't necessarily neglect their duties to those that elected them.

Understood. Regardless of whether they are supported, they are intentionally neglecting their obligations. This action is running up costs from many, many angles. Costs that you and I are paying. The intentionally absent legislators should be held accountable for these costs.

Isn't that what class action lawsuits are about?
    Where are the ambulance chasers?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Understood. Regardless of whether they are supported, they are intentionally neglecting their obligations. This action is running up costs from many, many angles. Costs that you and I are paying. The intentionally absent legislators should be held accountable for these costs.

Isn't that what class action lawsuits are about?
    Where are the ambulance chasers?

Eh, I don't know if I see it that clearly. I would like my elected officials to fight tooth and nail for the things I elect them for. Since nobody campaigned on the union or anti-union platform, it is hard to truly say they were elected to fight for this, but... Many believe Lincoln, for example, gained traction for his run for Presidency doing exactly this. Actually, Lincoln and others in his party jumped out a second story window to flee a vote...

I am curious what costs we are incurred because of this. Serious question.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I am curious what costs we are incurred because of this.

This is the whole issue.
    Not whether there is support for the intentional neglect of duties. It's not about feelings, its about MONEY.

I cannot begin to estimate the costs involved. That is what accountants are for. A simple thing that comes to mind is a statehouse full of workers getting paid to work but cannot.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So... I am compelled by law to pay state income and sales tax. I don't have representation before the government because my state rep is in Ill. I wonder what would happen if the citizens whose state reps are AWOL would refuse to pay their state taxes because they are not allowed proper representation? Didn't we fight a war with England over this once before.

But the majority of the citizens in those areas where the Ds are from do approve of this action.

I say we just load up in a few truck and drag them back kicking and screaming.

I think that would be kidnapping.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    How about we bus them to Illinois with their elected officials?! :dunno:

You 'could' but then you lose that tax base as well, along with all the biz in that area, etc... Guess what you could do is give that area to IL but not sure that would be a wise idea for IN. Not sure just how much tax revenue comes from those areas? (ie. NWI, Indy, Bloomington, South Bend)

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    You 'could' but then you lose that tax base as well, along with all the biz in that area, etc... Guess what you could do is give that area to IL but not sure that would be a wise idea for IN. Not sure just how much tax revenue comes from those areas? (ie. NWI, Indy, Bloomington, South Bend)

I was thinking of making the offer to good People from Illinois to move here... :dunno:

Top Bottom