Indiana Cuisine: Cultural Wasteland or Hidden Gem?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Sorry but Indiana food is home cookin. If you look at the history and settlers of Indiana you will find we are all just country folk who come from small towns. If you want Indiana cookin go to the small towns find a dinner and eat. Now may not be one type of ethnic food but hey Indiana is a hodge podge of ethnicities and our food represents that. Just my :twocents:.

AGREED! And that's how I like it. :patriot:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Ever since I moved to Indianapolis, one of the things I miss most about Detroit is the huge diversity of food available. Whole sections of the city are given over to different ethnic cuisines. You've got Greek Town, the Latin Quarter, Hamtramck, Little Italy, and so forth. You can hardly swing a dead cat anywhere in the metro area without hitting half a dozen awesome Coney Island places.

Living in Indiana, I rarely find anything other than chain restaurants, most of which serve tasteless bilge. There are the occasional treats, such as St Elmo's, Fogo De Chao, The Melting Pot, and so forth, but these are not restaurants that I make a habit of visiting on a regular basis, either because of price, proximity, etc.

I have yet to find anything that screams "Indiana!" to me. For example, if you say "cheesecake" or "pizza", you think "New York". For hot dogs, it's Chicago. Jambalaya, New Orleans, and so forth.

In your opinion, what food(s) or restaurants set Indianapolis apart? What says "Indiana" to you? What are your favorite restaurants that you patronize on a regular basis (not just special occasions)? If you had a cosmopolitan friend visiting from New York, where would you take him to eat to prove that Indiana isn't a cultural wasteland?

I feel you. I left Indiana at 17, went into the USMC. So I grew up always on a coast somewhere in the world. I sorely miss Asian food and fresh sea food. Clam bakes etc...

As far as Indiana goes, although I'm from here I cant think of any food I can ID Indiana with.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I just picked up a copy of Indianapolis Monthly yesterday. There's an article this month about the top 27 breakfast places in central Indiana. I've been to a few of them and they were pretty good. Now I have a boat load more to try. One of the restaurants has a peanut butter, banana, and bacon sandwich on toast. I am so there.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I just picked up a copy of Indianapolis Monthly yesterday. There's an article this month about the top 27 breakfast places in central Indiana. I've been to a few of them and they were pretty good. Now I have a boat load more to try. One of the restaurants has a peanut butter, banana, and bacon sandwich on toast. I am so there.

Its hard to beat LePeeps for breakfast in Indy.:rockwoot:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    We experienced a similar feeling when we moved from Bloomington to Terre Haute. TH is more of an Outback Steakhouse/Red Lobster sort of town while Bloomington had The Irish Lion, Janko's, Runcible Spoon and Snow Lion; all unique restaurants.

In Terre Haute, about the best it has to offer is German food at the Bierstube or sushi at Tokyo. North of here near Covington is The Beefhouse which is a good steakhouse but it doesn't touch Janko's.

I ate at Freddy's in Hammond this summer and it was excellent. The Millhouse in Jasper is also a fine place to eat.

I miss all those places too :( Especially the Irish Lion.

We have a lot of chains up herein Carmel, but I haven't found any great spots like that.

I'm a transplant to the state overall, so I see the cuisine here as an outsider, the way y'all see NYC for cheesecake of Chicago for pizza and hot-dogs. The tenderloin is the only food that seems to be a uniquely Indiana thing.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I just picked up a copy of Indianapolis Monthly yesterday.

See, what did I tell ya? The Chamber of Commerce would never steer you wrong.:D

breakfast places in central Indiana

Breakfast? Well, why didn't you say so?:D

LePeep is great, try the Californian, egg whites, and veggies with bacon.

In Broad Ripple you are drowning in choices, here's Kirk's selections in no particular order:

Taste: Taste | Broad Ripple Restaurant Indianapolis

Zest: Zest! Exciting Food Creations - Zest! Exciting Food Creations Restaurant, Indianapolis, IN

Cafe Patachou: Cafe Patachou : a student union for adults since 1989

Good Morning Mama's: Good Morning Mama's Cafe | Facebook

What's next? Middle Eastern? Sushi? Korean? Steak? Date place? Who needs what?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm not a huge fan of the tenderloin. It tastes fine, I guess, but it's nothing special. I guess I just don't need a patty the size of a throw rug.

Conversation with Spasmo (an Indiana native) the first time she told me about a tenderloin:

Me: "So, what is it?"
    Her: "It's a tenderloin."
    Me: "Of what?"
    Her: "What do you mean 'Of what?'? It's a tenderloin!"
    Me: "Yes, but what's it made of?"
    Her: "It's breaded and deep-fried."
    Me: "I get that. What I want to know is what animal does it come from? Because I'm pretty sure there's no 'tenderloin beast'."

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I don't think the tenderloin comes from just one animal. I think its from several. It could be the butt cheeks from other animals as well. And animals don't wipe, that I know of.....

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    What's next? Middle Eastern? Sushi? Korean? Steak? Date place? Who needs what?

Nothing in particular. Here's my OP:

In your opinion, what food(s) or restaurants set Indianapolis apart? What says "Indiana" to you? What are your favorite restaurants that you patronize on a regular basis (not just special occasions)? If you had a cosmopolitan friend visiting from New York, where would you take him to eat to prove that Indiana isn't a cultural wasteland?

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I'm not a huge fan of the tenderloin. It tastes fine, I guess, but it's nothing special. I guess I just don't need a patty the size of a throw rug.

Conversation with Spasmo (an Indiana native) the first time she told me about a tenderloin:

Me: "I get that. What I want to know is what animal does it come from? Because I'm pretty sure there's no 'tenderloin beast'."

You disparage the Indiana Breaded pork Tenderloin?:dunno: A pox on you! :draw:

:D

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else

Blasphemer!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    The Dairy Bar in Lizton has really good chili dogs. Its off from I74. Intersection of 136 and 39. Only open in the summer, but they are delicious! The business is for sale right now though.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    not a big fan of the tenderloin myself..its just a big greasy hunk of over tenderized meat..or meat substitute:): Ill eat em but I wont go out of my way to get one. gimme a warm brain sandwich over the tenderloin any day:yesway:
    Im a sea food nut...and it sucks living in IN and being a sea food nut,we just dont get quality sea food being in the midwest and all.:dunno:

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    If you ever make it to ft wayne downtown Bourbon St (in the basement of columbia st )is one of the best cajun style restaraunts you will ever find .Its on the small side but if you like cajun flavor this is the place .The head chef was also featured on food network & loves to talk with the customers when she is not swamped with orders

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If you had a cosmopolitan friend visiting from New York, where would you take him to eat to prove that Indiana isn't a cultural wasteland?

How could the crossroads of American be a cultural wasteland? People from New York are so provincial and need to get out more.

Lots of places, but I'll give you a few:

14 West: 14 West Restaurant

Dunaway's: Dunaway's Palazzo Ossigeno Home

Saffron Cafe (wonderful North African food): Welcome to Saffron Cafe! Located in downtown Indianapolis

Barcelona Tapas (I like it, it's a fun place): BARcelona Home

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    not a big fan of the tenderloin myself..its just a big greasy hunk of over tenderized meat..or meat substitute:): Ill eat em but I wont go out of my way to get one. gimme a warm brain sandwich over the tenderloin any day:yesway:
    Im a sea food nut...and it sucks living in IN and being a sea food nut,we just dont get quality sea food being in the midwest and all.:dunno:

I won't go out of my way for one either, but now and then I do enjoy a nice greasy tenderloin with the meat four times bigger than the bun.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Ever since I moved to Indianapolis, one of the things I miss most about Detroit is the huge diversity of food available. Whole sections of the city are given over to different ethnic cuisines. You've got Greek Town, the Latin Quarter, Hamtramck, Little Italy, and so forth. You can hardly swing a dead cat anywhere in the metro area without hitting half a dozen awesome Coney Island places.

Living in Indiana, I rarely find anything other than chain restaurants, most of which serve tasteless bilge. There are the occasional treats, such as St Elmo's, Fogo De Chao, The Melting Pot, and so forth, but these are not restaurants that I make a habit of visiting on a regular basis, either because of price, proximity, etc.

I have yet to find anything that screams "Indiana!" to me. For example, if you say "cheesecake" or "pizza", you think "New York". For hot dogs, it's Chicago. Jambalaya, New Orleans, and so forth.

Unfortunately, Indianapolis is the second largest test market for chain restaurants. I find the disparity discouraging after my trips to Milwaukee that has a bunch of one offs that are great. Because of that and that people like kitch hanging on the walls, many of the great one off restaurants I used to go to have closed.

One of the gem restaurants that is little known though they have been advertising is Charbono's in Avon. Really great food and the prices are not bad. They have some others sister restaurants open but none seem to be as good.

Love Yats and would like to see more quick places that are different like that. I would like to find a GOOD muffaletta sandwich. Bazbeaux's is OK but just OK for that. Some of the other restaurants downtown that are not chains have food that I would call so-so.

If you like Mediterranean food the Mediterrano on the north side around Castleton has good food. If you go during the buffet times the price is $14, a little steep but many choices and all good. Authentic.

I would like to find a really good Thai restaurant but I have been spoiled by The King and I in Milwaukee. They have mild, medium, and adventurous in heat ratings and I can take a lot but order the mild cause the others will either make you sweat or explode. The mild make me sweat.

I live downtown and I think the pickins are slim. One of the few chain restaurants that always seems to be good is Palominos but can be pricey.

Top Bottom