Indiana Cuisine: Cultural Wasteland or Hidden Gem?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Unfortunately, Indianapolis is the second largest test market for chain restaurants. I find the disparity discouraging after my trips to Milwaukee that has a bunch of one offs that are great. Because of that and that people like kitch hanging on the walls, many of the great one off restaurants I used to go to have closed.

One of the gem restaurants that is little known though they have been advertising is Charbono's in Avon. Really great food and the prices are not bad. They have some others sister restaurants open but none seem to be as good.

Love Yats and would like to see more quick places that are different like that. I would like to find a GOOD muffaletta sandwich. Bazbeaux's is OK but just OK for that. Some of the other restaurants downtown that are not chains have food that I would call so-so.

If you like Mediterranean food the Mediterrano on the north side around Castleton has good food. If you go during the buffet times the price is $14, a little steep but many choices and all good. Authentic.

I would like to find a really good Thai restaurant but I have been spoiled by The King and I in Milwaukee. They have mild, medium, and adventurous in heat ratings and I can take a lot but order the mild cause the others will either make you sweat or explode. The mild make me sweat.

I live downtown and I think the pickins are slim. One of the few chain restaurants that always seems to be good is Palominos but can be pricey.

Mufaletta? Papa Roux Po-Boys: Indy's Hottest Eastside Cajun Lunch Spot!

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    If you ask me, Indiana food is cooked at home, on a grill! Some family, friends, a few beers...Thats what I would feed my out of town friend.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    I didn't read though all 4 pages but I'll offer my favorite food places, mostly in Bloomington...

Pizza:

Cafe Pizzeria is my favorite. Located on Kirkwood right next to the library.

Baldy's pizza is pretty good too. I go there for lunch all the time when I'm in Bloomington.

If you want Wings, Buffaloui's has great wings, I like BW3's sauce better but BW3's wings aren't nearly as good.

Yogi's, Scotty's, and Opie Tailors all have GREAT tenderloins, I like Yogis and Opie Taylors more, plus OT has great sweat tea.

There are probably more in Bloomington but those are my favorite "non chain" restaurants.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Buffalouies??? Really??

My favorite pizza out there is Avers. I REALLY miss their lamda gyro pi

+1 on Yogis, I love that place. Food is good and they have the best beer selection in Bloomington!

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I didn't read though all 4 pages but I'll offer my favorite food places, mostly in Bloomington...

Pizza:

Cafe Pizzeria is my favorite. Located on Kirkwood right next to the library.

Baldy's pizza is pretty good too. I go there for lunch all the time when I'm in Bloomington.

If you want Wings, Buffaloui's has great wings, I like BW3's sauce better but BW3's wings aren't nearly as good.

Yogi's, Scotty's, and Opie Tailors all have GREAT tenderloins, I like Yogis and Opie Taylors more, plus OT has great sweat tea.

There are probably more in Bloomington but those are my favorite "non chain" restaurants.

all great choices, I love buffalouies sweet sauce. I still maintain that bloomington has the greatest diversity of (great and authentic) cuisine in indiana. back when scottys was just starting up they had the best guinness marinated steak and cheese wrap that I still bug scotty to bring back to this day.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    You're a Mod and I have to Google FOR you? sheesh :D
    Dyno Jax apparently just closed...

King David Dogs - An Indy Original Since 1941

Ooops, its called Sweet Home Chicago..
    Sweet Home Chicago

Home of the "Not Yet World Famous"Chili...Nick's Chili Parlor

I live 6 minutes from Nicks Chili. I have been here 10 years and have eaten there 3 times. I first went there because some friends (IPD officers) recommended it. More often than not cops know the best places to eat. I was not impressed. Its OK but nothing to write home about. Not trying to put it down, its decent chili but nothing special. Just my opinion.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I don't know. I'm up here in Mishawaka and I have no complaints about the selection around me. I can regularly find french, japanese, italian, creole, irish and everything in between that rivals anything I found in Chicago, New York, Boston or LA. With one exception - Mike's Pastries in Boston still has the best cannolis on the planet earth. LaSalle grill in downtown South Bend beats every steakhouse in Chicago I've been to but runs neck and neck with Harry Carry's.

The only difference is for the price of an entree in Chicago, New York, Boston or LA - I can have dinner, drinks and a cigar in Mishawaka.

I didn't even go into what the Amish can put together out of what grows in their yards.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Hmm... how did I miss this before?

I have to agree that if you're looking for a food that Indiana is "famous" for, Tenderloin is probably as good as it gets. But if you're looking for a food that "IS" Indiana, good home-cooking. One place off the top of my head that I can think of is the Amish restaurant in Shipshewana. I can't remmber what its called, but I think it has "Blue" in the name (Shipshe isn't that big, so I'm sure anybody could find it, its a huge white building). Anyways, this is real, home-cooking, its run by Amish and boy do they know how to cook. Homemade pies, and all the good stuff. Maybe one could time it right and go up there when they have the gun/knife show/swap at the flea market (I think its an annual event, but I'm not positive, I know they had one last year).

As for decent Q I know of two places to the NE. Red River Steakhouse in the 1st floor of the Hilton Hotel in Ft. Wayne has decent Q IMHO. Also, Back 40 Junction in Decatur is pretty good. It probably won't blow your socks off, and if you're a BBQ Judge its not going to win any awards, but its better than most. Both of these restaurants are owned and operated by the same person, and they're both good quality food.

Last edited:

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    One place off the top of my head that I can think of is the Amish restaurant in Shipshewana. I can't remmber what its called, but I think it has "Blue" in the name (Shipshe isn't that big, so I'm sure anybody could find it, its a huge white building).

YES! That place is VERY good!! I went there last fall one night with my company. However, the next day we were served a real, REAL, home cooked meal by one of the local families the next night and that was probably the best meal I've ever had in my life. The Amish up there really know how to cook!!

Ahgo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    New Haven, Indiana
    Thumbs up to the Bierstube too. As a music student at ISU ('78-'82), I use to play polkas down there for free beer and a cheese plate. It was awesome!!!

FordMan08

Shooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    24   1   1
    Nov 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    Go to Millies for a tenderloin, in Amity
    Go to The Ordinary in Wannamaker for pizza.
    Go to Crouches Market for beans and cornbread, in Pikes Peak (Brown Co)
    Go to Reds on wednesdays for wings, in Bargersville.

MeltonLaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Downtown Indy
    Fried tenderloing screams Indiana. Good places to obtain said tenderloin would be the Bourbon St. Distillery on Senate and Vermont or TipTop Tavern on Capital and 14th. The latter of the two seems a bit seedy though when you walk in.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Buff. Wings > Just WingN IT or The Willard (Franklin)
    Pizza > The Willard (Franklin) (NBO is ok, but too greasy)
    Greek/MEd. > Santorinis (Fountain Square (INDY))
    Tenderloins > Big Daddys, but most of the bars in Indy serve up pretty good ones

MY FAVORITE > >>> Frank and Marys (Pitsborro) THE BEST CATFISH! get them whole, not the filets!

Top Bottom