Indiana Cuisine: Cultural Wasteland or Hidden Gem?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    There is also Tata Cuban Cafe on Ohio St., literally a stone's throw from the statehouse. I haven't been able to go yet, but am looking forward to my first visit.

I have to resurrect this thread to say that I finally made it to Tata. Though the music was a bit louder than I would have liked for lunch, the food (steak sandwich) was excellent, as was the cafecito.

I'm looking forward to an excuse to return and try something else.

If you're in downtown Indy, check it out.

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Meridian-Kessler, Indianapolis
    I realize fully that this is a resurrection, bu I'd like to throw in my 2¢ for Three Floyds Brewpub in Munster. They make and serve the best beer in the Midwest hands down, and compete in the various style categories as some of the best beer in America and the world. Don't believe me?

4 of the top 100 beers on the planet are made in Munster according to suers of BeerAdvocate.
    Top Beers on Planet Earth - BeerAdvocate

RateBeer has them as 4 of the top 50.

More:
    The best Pale Wheat in the world:
    Top Beers - American Pale Wheat Ale - BeerAdvocate
    The 6th best Double India Pale Ale (crowded category)
    Top Beers - American Double / Imperial IPA - BeerAdvocate
    The best American Pale Ale (extremely crowded category)
    Top Beers - American Pale Ale (APA) - BeerAdvocate
    The 1st, 4th, and 6th best Russian Imperial Stout (extremely crowded category):
    Top Beers - Russian Imperial Stout - BeerAdvocate

I could go on all day. If they make a beer, it's likely one of the top 10 examples of the style that exist. They alone are proof positive that Indiana is not a 'cultural wasteland'.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I agree, Three Floyds is an Indiana treasure. as far as eating goes there is a place in Muncie, not many people know about it, its called QL's BBQ, that place has the best BBQ chicken and tips in the state. There were many times while i attended Ball State that I had a meal of QL's BBQ with bottle or 4 of Three Floyds Pride and Joy.

garlic_b

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Bloomington
    Small town diners are a good bet. I like the variety in Bloomington. 7000 miles away, I still crave a cheeseburger from Nicks. And Blarney Puff Balls at Irish Lion. And Buffalouie's. 6 more days until I come back from China for 6 weeks. Nom Nom Nom.

Assorted Amish restaurants in Southern Indiana. Bogg's Lake. Also one in Montgomery.

FYI. I grew up in Odon then Loogootee. I just kept running away...

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Indiana food to me is breakfast. Country fried steak, biscuits and gravy, eggs and gravy, hash and gravy, sausage links, fried bacon, etc etc. mmmmm...

It's also oven fried chicken, dumplings, coleslaw, potato salad, corn on the cob, mashed potatos, greenbeans, watermelon, and apple pie.

Steaks, hamburgers, porkburgers, porkchops, pulled pork, pulled beef brisquite, roast, stew, sausage (pork or venison), and fried catfish are also indiana staples.

People in Indiana don't eat ethinic food, unless we change it to taste like local fare. :)

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Small town diners are a good bet. I like the variety in Bloomington. 7000 miles away, I still crave a cheeseburger from Nicks. And Blarney Puff Balls at Irish Lion. And Buffalouie's. 6 more days until I come back from China for 6 weeks. Nom Nom Nom.

Assorted Amish restaurants in Southern Indiana. Bogg's Lake. Also one in Montgomery.

I served a couple of years in Washington and Loogootee as well...and I'd never live there again..My mom is still in Washington so I do get to go to the Black Buggy and Mason's Rootbeer Stand (good tenderloin and frosty Mug rootbeer) what is the name of the Amish resturaunt in Montgomery?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    as far as eating goes there is a place in Muncie, not many people know about it, its called QL's BBQ, that place has the best BBQ chicken and tips in the state.

There used to be a place in or around Muncie (I think) called Big Bone Lick that had AWESOME ribs. They closed before I moved down here from Detroit, though, so I only got to go a couple of times.

Goosepond Monster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Ellettsville

Fish sandwich at the OT and fried chicken at the place that used to be by the railroad tracks in Loogootee. Mathias I think it was.

Goosepond Monster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Ellettsville
    I served a couple of years in Washington and Loogootee as well...and I'd never live there again..My mom is still in Washington so I do get to go to the Black Buggy and Mason's Rootbeer Stand (good tenderloin and frosty Mug rootbeer) what is the name of the Amish resturaunt in Montgomery?
    The Gasthof?

Reading this thread has sold me on what to get for supper tonight. I'm going to find a tenderloin and hope that it is four times bigger than the bun.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    When I think of Northwest Indiana cooking I think of a "steelworker" sandwich from Lincoln carry-outs. And a beer form 3floyds or figure8.

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Nope. You're not looking hard enough! Here's an older thread about that very subject. Big food you can get free...if you finish it in time.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/70063-free_food_in_indiana.html
    Fair enough. But, I'm also not necessarily looking for big food but for good food.

I spent 32 years in Colorado and the Tex-Mex there is incredible. I can't find anything like it out here. I've eaten at Tex-Mex and Mexican restaurants in Indianapolis metro area and up in Michiana and none of them even compare. They literally taste like cardboard.

When I first moved here in 2006, I went in El Camino Real in Goshen, IN. I ordered green chile with my meal. The Mexican waiter didn't even know what green chile was!!!!!

Green chile has been on Colorado menus for over 25 years!!!

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Fair enough. But, I'm also not necessarily looking for big food but for good food.

I spent 32 years in Colorado and the Tex-Mex there is incredible. I can't find anything like it out here. I've eaten at Tex-Mex and Mexican restaurants in Indianapolis metro area and up in Michiana and none of them even compare. They literally taste like cardboard.

When I first moved here in 2006, I went in El Camino Real in Goshen, IN. I ordered green chile with my meal. The Mexican waiter didn't even know what green chile was!!!!!

Green chile has been on Colorado menus for over 25 years!!!
    Well, duh! I look for good seafood here, too. Not going to find it. Just like BBQ. Good food is regional, like green chile based food. Indiana does a few things OK, but few places are outstanding, especially when you're talking about regional cuisines. (Kirk will be by any minute to tell us we're wrong, tho. :D )

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Kountry Kitchen on 18th & College has some great food!

_qfvz79YwBEglfzzRkd-91on_728UgEA0yMlmiCLh-tNyUTY-_xk-mBS54CrchFrE4ORelb90tNmKxSw_5CWrEWjx9Dsz_lbHV9pAo-zwTk2qXyUBtR-1itt

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAALI4ZtXA4]YouTube - Doing Indy Episode 32 - The Country Kitchen[/ame]

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    One thing that I only recently found out was Indiana cuisine that I've loved all my life is Sugar Cream pie. Since I've lived here most my life I never realized this was mainly an Indiana thing until I was looking for a recipe for it for my wife. She has made some pretty amazing pies lately and has added this to her rotation and it rocks!

Top Bottom