Indiana Cuisine: Cultural Wasteland or Hidden Gem?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    This one is easy. Nancy's Pizza in Fishers originated just down the road from where I lived outside Chicago. Route 59 and Irving Park to be exact. They have true Chicago style stuffed as well as a very good thin crust pizza. Be prepared to pay plenty. It is not cheap but well worth it. Two pieces of the Rocko's Party Pizza ( stuffed with the works) is about all I can do. I can eat quite a bit.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    This one is easy. Nancy's Pizza in Fishers originated just down the road from where I lived outside Chicago. Route 59 and Irving Park to be exact. They have true Chicago style stuffed as well as a very good thin crust pizza. Be prepared to pay plenty. It is not cheap but well worth it. Two pieces of the Rocko's Party Pizza ( stuffed with the works) is about all I can do. I can eat quite a bit.

I've never seen a "true" Chicago-style pizza outside of Chicago. They all claim it, but what they serve is one pizza upside-down on top of another. A true Chicago pizza is more like a quiche. It's three inches thick and "open faced". Is that how Nancy's is, or is it more like a calzone (which actually is a stuffed pizza)?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Real Chicago-style pizza:
    2s7xw8o.jpg

Not a Chicago-style pizza. This is what they all claim is Chicago-style, but they're wrong. Horribly, horribly wrong.
    5eubky.jpg

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    The Ordinary in Wannamaker has good pizza. If you want good fried pickles you can get them at Syd's in Noblesville.

Scutter,
    Who was it that closed down in Noblesville...Sinclair's?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I concur. I don't like to drown my food in sauce. (I was just at Subway for lunch and the lady in front of me had them empty the mustard container into her sandwhich--ick).

You get it your way at LLG, right off the pig and choice of sauce on it or on the side.

BTW, I haver purchased LLG pies (honey crisp apple) for Thanksgiving and Christmas, they are a big hit!

Good, I'll have to get down there and try some of their pig. I like some bbq sauce but just a little. If you are going to cook pulled pork drowned in sauce, you might as well marinate cardboard in the sauce and start chewing. All flavors have to come in moderation so they don't drown out the others.

I'm not a huge spicy food freak but enjoy some good Louisiana Hot Sauce. I actually enjoy the flavor of it, not that it's just hot. But what is the purpose of eating hot wings if all you taste is the hot?

I see what you mean on that much mustard on a sandwich. Might as well leave the rest of it off and eat a mustard sandwich.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Scutter, the top picture is exactly what a Nancy's looks like. 8 years of living in Chicago area taught me about pizza, Italian Sausage ( Maxwell Street is the bomb) Hot Dogs ( Portillo's accept no substitute)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The Ordinary in Wannamaker has good pizza. If you want good fried pickles you can get them at Syd's in Noblesville.

Scutter,
    Who was it that closed down in Noblesville...Sinclair's?

It was in the same building but I don't know if it was still called Sinclair's. Seems like it was called Val's Village, or something. I only went there once or twice. I discovered it like a month before they closed (they closed this January).

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Scutter, the top picture is exactly what a Nancy's looks like. 8 years of living in Chicago area taught me about pizza, Italian Sausage ( Maxwell Street is the bomb) Hot Dogs ( Portillo's accept no substitute)

Ok. I'm in. Where is it?

Also, the sauce: Chunky-style or non-chunky-style? Not a big fan of tomato chunks in my pizza sauce. I know what you're thinking, but you'll just have to deal with my picky palette. :D

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    It is chunky but i suggest dealing with it for a true taste of stuffed pizza. Here is a link they have their locations here but there is one on 96th street east of Lantern and on 116th east of Hague in Fishers.

Nancy's Pizza

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    You will enjoy it I'm sure. They become habit forming. I'm thinking of forming a support group for the addicted to Nancy's folks. They are easy to spot. Grease stain on their shirt, a little sauce in the corner of their mouth, huge friggin smile on their face.......

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    Try and hit up some summer church events in south western Indiana. The one thing that you would have to try is turtle soup made with snapping turtle. May sound bad but it really does taste very good.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I'm really picky about my pizza, so I don't like a lot of places...Deerhead in Evansville, Turoni's Pizza in Newburgh/Evansville and Pizza Chef in Newburgh are my favorites. It's thin crust with lots of toppings...Just the way I like it.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Yat's is good, but Joe moved his eateries here from Lexington, KY, (where he'd founded Jozo's and Yat's). It's a pretty good etouffee joint, but not outstanding. (Now if Joe would add his infamous Macque Choux to Yat's menu he'd be really talking!)

They have Macque Choux on the menu quite a bit. One of my faves. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom