Indiana Black Expo, what are you doing to get ready?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I think it is pretty self explanatory...He went to a concert at a University with an entire building dedicated to black culture, but was surprised to see only a handful(or 2) of black people to show up to one of the biggest black music legends ever.

BTW, I've never seen BB King, but I sure as hell would love to.

Bazooka nailed it. If they have a black cultural studies building, you'd think there would be several black students that would go to the concert. There were very few there.

I really do enjoy learning about other peoples cultures. I enjoy talking to other people but it's hard asking questions when you're afraid that somebody will get offended by them. Que, I think you and I could sit down and drink a beer and have enough respect for each other to not get offended by each other. I wish we all could learn from each other that way. I grew up off the paved road surrounded by corn fields. I believe you grew up in Chicago and I find it interesting hearing somebody's perspective on stuff like that.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    No, there wasn't a racist meaning in my post. Just an observation. BTW, I wasn't really surprised at the racial makeup of the audience. Most were bikers. I had my long goatee at the time as well.:D:ingo:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I think it is pretty self explanatory...He went to a concert at a University with an entire building dedicated to black culture, but was surprised to see only a handful(or 2) of black people to show up to one of the biggest black music legends ever. If you are thinking deeper than that, I don't think you should. I've read plenty of hornadylnl's posts to know there wasn't an ulterior motive to the post you quoted.:twocents:

BTW, I've never seen BB King, but I sure as hell would love to.

I think you may be a little off here, but if that's what he meant, I would like to know how many black people he expected to see at the concert? Also, many universities have culture centers (black, hispanic, jewish, etc.), but they don't belong to only those students. Besides he didn't say the concert was held in the culture center, but if it was and it held 4,000 people, NIU is building bigger buildings that when I was there. Finally, just because it was a black entertainer doesn't mean that black people have to enjoy the music. It's possible that some/many of the black faculty, staff and students prefer to see Hank Jr., and may prefer him over 50 Cent.

If you read my posts, you will see that I don't go any deeper than I need to, and actually I try to stay above the fray as much as possible.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    No, there wasn't a racist meaning in my post. Just an observation. BTW, I wasn't really surprised at the racial makeup of the audience. Most were bikers. I had my long goatee at the time as well.:D:ingo:

Dog Hornaday, I wasn't insinuating anything like that! I just thought that maybe you didn't actually know the purpose of the building and may have thought that it was built specifically for black students.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    No, I didn't think it was just for black students. I just don't get the point of it.:dunno: I have almost no idea of what my ancestry is nor do I really care. I'm an American. There's no German, Irish, or any other word in front of American. How old does a nation have to be before it has it's own culture?

I didn't expect there would be a lot of black people at the BB King concert. Again, I don't know many people who listen to the blues. I've talked to black people about the blues before and the overwhelming majority of them don't have a clue who most of the guys I mention are. I just thought if some students were so dedicated to their culture, they might go see BB King as part of the cultural experience. I guess if I were a white studies major, I'd go see Hank Jr in concert even though I can't stand country music. Figure that one out. I grew up off the paved road and I can't stand country music.

Que, sorry for the confusion. I have a lot of respect for you from reading your posts.:cheers:

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    not even close to the manpower and resources used for BE

You have the budgetary figures on that, do ya?

I truly find that hard to believe.

You would then be surprised. Indianapolis have 10 professional sporting teams, with a number of other professional sporting events.

The Black Expo attendance attracts approximately 350,000, spread over a 10 day period.

• Lucas Oil Fieldhouse's capacity is 63,000; with nine regular season home games for just the regular season of the Colts. Max: 567,000
    • Indiana Pacers plays approximately 40 home games each season, with approximately a 21,000 seat capacity. Max: 840,000
    • Indiana Fever plays approximately 18 home games each regular season, with the same seat capacity. Max: 378,000
    • The Indianapolis Indian's Victory Field's capacity is 15,600; with approximately 70 home, regular season games. Max: 1,092,000
    • The Indianapolis Motor Speedway capacity is approximately 400,000; with the 500 and Brickyard 400 run each year. Max: 800,000
    Add vendors, employees, etc.......about the potential for 3.7 people for just the above. That is 10x the number in attendance at the Expo. This also doesn't include other professional events and teams, nor does it include the collegiate events and teams.

So does manpower and resources still cost more for the Expo?

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Report from the front line: I just walked from Bourbon Street Grill to Barcelona Tapas, about 15-20 minutes ago. I was not killed or robbed. I actually felt pretty fine.

But then again....anyone in this thread who would like to calibrate their unwelcomeness meter is invited to have me as their personal tour guide when I go back home, which is the previously video'd South Africa. Having lived there, and NOLA and Reno here in the US, Indy rates well ahead of all 3 on the overall feeling of well being when walking around at night.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    You have the budgetary figures on that, do ya?

You would then be surprised. Indianapolis have 10 professional sporting teams, with a number of other professional sporting events.

The Black Expo attendance attracts approximately 350,000, spread over a 10 day period.

• Lucas Oil Fieldhouse's capacity is 63,000; with nine regular season home games for just the regular season of the Colts. Max: 567,000
    • Indiana Pacers plays approximately 40 home games each season, with approximately a 21,000 seat capacity. Max: 840,000
    • Indiana Fever plays approximately 18 home games each regular season, with the same seat capacity. Max: 378,000
    • The Indianapolis Indian's Victory Field's capacity is 15,600; with approximately 70 home, regular season games. Max: 1,092,000
    • The Indianapolis Motor Speedway capacity is approximately 400,000; with the 500 and Brickyard 400 run each year. Max: 800,000
    Add vendors, employees, etc.......about the potential for 3.7 people for just the above. That is 10x the number in attendance at the Expo. This also doesn't include other professional events and teams, nor does it include the collegiate events and teams.

So does manpower and resources still cost more for the Expo?

You can't honestly be trying to compare all the teams entire seasons to one event? You working for Obamination? Plus how many disturbances break out at a Fever or Indians game? That's just laughable... :lmfao:

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    You can't honestly be trying to compare all the teams entire seasons to one event? You working for Obamination? Plus how many disturbances break out at a Fever or Indians game? That's just laughable... :lmfao:

Fine. Indy500 in one day event, not including other days of practice and time trials, still beats the Expo.

Your closed mind is laughable.

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    You're still comparing private vendors, concessions, etc. to state funded police, cleanup crews, repairmen(maybe private, but the state is paying for it).

Mere attendance requires more resources to be allocated by government, regardless of the reason why the individual is present.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Mere attendance requires more resources to be allocated by government, regardless of the reason why the individual is present.

You mention the one day Indy 500 "beating" the Expo...How much revenue does that one day event bring in? I could be CRAZY, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess it brings in more than the 10-day $38 mil that the expo brings in.

Call me crazy again, but I bet it brings a "little" less crime, too.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Fine. Indy500 in one day event, not including other days of practice and time trials, still beats the Expo.

Your closed mind is laughable.

You're the one with faulty comparisons. Must be trying to rationalize your position in some way. How many racial disturbances are at the 500? How many broken windows? I know the trash is a mess out there and a pretty good amount of alcohol related arrest are made. What are the cost figures for both events. You are making statements with no facts. Quoting numbers of attendees means nothing. Again, apples to oranges.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    6a00d8341cbb0453ef00e54f2d8f9e8834-800wi.jpg
    How are the alcohol revenues during this event?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom