• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    What do you think is the rational function of a government other than to make people live by a "moral code" of whatever type. The difference at this point is that heretofore local and state citizens were fairly free to define the "moral code" as they chose - right or wrong. Now we have our "moral code" being imposed from the top down.

So if your moral code somehow ends up in the minority in tge future, are you going to STFU and let the majority dictate to you like you expect the minority's to now?

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    What do you think is the rational function of a government other than to make people live by a "moral code" of whatever type. The difference at this point is that heretofore local and state citizens were fairly free to define the "moral code" as they chose - right or wrong. Now we have our "moral code" being imposed from the top down.

How does the action of a couple of losers impose any moral code on you? (Hint: It doesn't.)

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'm not on here as an agent of the state and I don't attempt to make anyone's opinion belong to anyone else. I do hear regular accusations that conservatives are the root of all evil yet those throwing the stones rarely offer a counter opinion.

What is the point of anti incest laws if agents of the state have no power to prevent the act?

My opinion is that no amount of nannying or do gooderism is going to stop the act. The laws are just there to make the opponents feel better about themselves that they've "done something "! Much like liberals feel better after taking from the rich to give to the poor. Neither address the root cause of the problem. Conservatives see the folly of using government to address the root cause of poverty. Why do they still cling to the notion that government is the solution to issues of morality?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If his death does not affect me, why should there be a law? Why doesn't his estate just sue the perpetrator? We could further reduce the police state and all that...
    Sure if you take it down the rabbit hole far enough. My desired end takes us closer to anarchy. To get to you, I'd have to move closer to totalitarianism. I'd prefer the former to the latter.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    What is the point of anti incest laws if agents of the state have no power to prevent the act?

My opinion is that no amount of nannying or do gooderism is going to stop the act. The laws are just there to make the opponents feel better about themselves that they've "done something "! Much like liberals feel better after taking from the rich to give to the poor. Neither address the root cause of the problem. Conservatives see the folly of using government to address the root cause of poverty. Why do they still cling to the notion that government is the solution to issues of morality?

"They" don't. I'm a conservative and as I've stated, I don't care what two consenting adults do to one another.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Somebody is fighting awfully damn hard to normalize behavior that any sane person would consider odious in the extreme.

We've established laws don't prevent the behavior. They only make you FEEL better. So what is your solution? Kill them? Are willing to give up your special privileges to deny them theirs?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Somebody is fighting awfully damn hard to normalize behavior that any sane person would consider odious in the extreme.
    Normalize? Certainly not. There is no media campaign to make it OK. There is no educational component making it OK. There is no "normalizing". Sane (a subjective term at best) people will still act as they always have and the "insane" will still carry on as they always have. A law, or lack thereof, will not change their paths. If someone told you that incest was completely legal, something you thought disgusting, would then go out and go have an incest party? Of course not. Is there a gluttony of incestual relationships in the states where it is legal? Not likely. I cannot agree more with hornadylnl when he say that many tout freedom from the Gov unless it is something they find "icky". He is 100% spot on.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Laws do more than make those who pass them feel good. They penalize behaviors the community finds offensive, with consequences. And, yes, they do legislate morality, a changing paradigm. If living under laws (majority rule) is too difficult for some, that's what mountains and caves are for. You wanna live down here in the valley, shut the f**k up, change the law, or move to another valley. :popcorn:

I like popcorn. With truffle oil, salt, chili powder and smoked paprika.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Laws do more than make those who pass them feel good. They penalize behaviors the community finds offensive, with consequences.

They also penalize people who work for a living. Bread is taken off of my table to satisfy people's irrational obsession with punishing harmless weirdos.

The only victims in this situation are created by the enforcement of the law. There are no winners. No one is better off.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Naturally, the exact same people who only ten years ago scoffed at people like myself who said there would be homosexual marriage forced through the courts, the exact same people who have since become advocates for homosexual marriage, now scoff at people (again like myself) who will calmly point out that this is the next frontier in the marriage wars.
    Up next: polygamy, marrying the dead, interspecies marriage, and marriage to inanimate objects
    Yes, I'm being absurd, but that's what they said about what has now been forced upon us by the courts.
    Love is love, right?
    Right?

Scoff scoff scoff.

Forced on you?

If you don't like anchovies on your pizza, don't put anchovies on your pizza. Take it from there.

p.s. I've always had sortofa thing for my toaster. Have you seen my toaster?
    it's hot!
    iwantyouinme.jpg

Top Bottom