IN police shatter car window, extract passenger after alleged seatbelt violation

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    That was in response to "renauldo's" post about also being pulled over in Hammond for a seatbelt ticket and being asked to exit the vehicle. Sounds like common practice for their officers to have people exit their vehicles for safety belt violations, and that is not right.

As for the seatbelt law, I could give 2 ****s less about "laws" like this one. I wear a seatbelt because only idiots don't, and it could and has saved my life. These stupid "laws" that have no real point or penalty other than additional taxation of the populace and aren't real "laws" as they don't carry any real punishment. $25 for not obeying a "law"...who cares.

There is the law of what we believe should be and then there is reality.

He wasn't being "forced" to exit because of a seatbelt ticket. It was because he was digging like a terrier through his man bag.

We really need an INGO traffic school thread.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    "What I mean" is that the average person should not be expected to know nor appreciate the finer points of police training and evaluate how "lawful" the stop or request is.

So you're saying we should all just believe what cops are doing is fine and dandy. Just do what they say, and disregard your rights, even though most cops don't even know what the actual law is.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Sounds like common practice for their officers to have people exit their vehicles for safety belt violations, and that is not right.

Maybe. I've never understood the whole "get the driver out of the car because I am afraid" nonsense. If you order me out of the car, you are bringing the weapons closer to you and with fewer obstructions to use them around. Get result and work backwards.

As far as "not right", well, hit the books, study hard and get appointed to the Supreme Court because having the driver and passengers out of the car is lawful.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So you're saying we should all just believe what cops are doing is fine and dandy. Just do what they say, and disregard your rights, even though most cops don't even know what the actual law is.

When the cops tell you to get out of the car, it is fine and dandy. You don't have a right to play little games and hide in your car.

Now, that said, breaking glass around children and then Tasing Jamal is beyond the pale. Not certain that a halligan and Taser were the answer there.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    When the cops tell you to get out of the car, it is fine and dandy. You don't have a right to play little games and hide in your car.

Now, that said, breaking glass around children and then Tasing Jamal is beyond the pale. Not certain that a halligan and Taser were the answer there.
    But at least they all went home safe after their shifts.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Regardless of if it was legal for the officers to act the way they did it was not NECESSARY for them to do so. The family was not going anywhere, they were not threatening the officers, they tried to identify themselves as best as they could at the time, they asked for a supervisor which they were denied.

Just because they may (or may not) be legal in their actions does not mean it's the best option or idea at the time. The officers clearly knew there were children in the back seat when they shattered the window. They escalated the situation into what it became. They could have simply waited until a supervisor showed up but chose not to. A supervisors presence may or nay not have changed things (we will never know now) but when a citizen is nervous about their safety and requests one then that needs to be granted.

Those children in the back seat will now have a fear and distrust of law enforcement from this point forward. There were better ways to handle this.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Even with my eye, I can see an argument for breaking the glass (break glass, open door, yank Jamal out--maybe), but the Taser? I have expressed a fear that the Taser is being used as an electric whip. It is used as such here.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The point is you can't just do what you wanna do when a police office is giving you a lawful order. There's a culture of people who think they're untouchable and when they get thumped they cry other words. It's ****ing old and I really don't care if the police get it wrong afew times in order to stop this mindset

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I fully understand that. Once they have told you what they're citing you for, they can order you out of your car. I'm just saying it shouldn't be there SOP for a dang seatbelt violation. That's a bit on the ridiculous side of things.

And in this situation, they had the law on their side to order the people out of the car. But they're cops and they should not be escalating a non violent situation like they did. The cops were pretty clearly in the wrong here, and that cop has a history of using unnecessary force.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Open jammed doors at accident scenes, open doors at a domestic disturbance ... Just a couple explanations where a life could be saved

I'm all for officers carrying halligans. I was naming just one reason because SOME people believe it is solely a fire tool.

I carry a Halligan

Why didn't you tell me that? We could have skipped the slim jimming. Lol
    The passenger is showing restraint? What do you mean by that? The police are telling him to exit and he is not exiting.

How is not complying with a lawful police order showing restraint?

Passenger needed restraints. No where in that video did I hear the officer say "Do you see these ****ing bars?" Or anything to that effect.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Even with my eye, I can see an argument for breaking the glass (break glass, open door, yank Jamal out--maybe), but the Taser? I have expressed a fear that the Taser is being used as an electric whip. It is used as such here.

I'll take your word everything they did was legal. But it's a freaking seat belt ticket. I know there is a belief that if they do not get their compliance on demand, the citizenry might revolt. But it's a freaking seat belt ticket...a seat belt ticket.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'll take your word everything they did was legal. But it's a freaking seat belt ticket. I know there is a belief that if they do not get their compliance on demand, the citizenry might revolt. But it's a freaking seat belt ticket...a seat belt ticket.

Yes, you are correct.

But don't go digging like a terrier through your stuff when the po-po roll up.

Remember the first rule of traffic school? Right, relax.

I don't know what the proper mix of fault here is. Maybe a jury will decide. Don't know.

If I was the insurance company, I'd write a check to make this stupidityfest disappear.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I still find it odd that the driver, whose mother was on her death bed with only minutes, maybe hours to live, decided it was more important to go file a report before going to her mother's side.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I still find it odd that the driver, whose mother was on her death bed with only minutes, maybe hours to live, decided it was more important to go file a report before going to her mother's side.

She died days later, according to the report. Running straight to the hospital might have been slightly inconvenient since, you know, the window was shattered and the father was taken to jail. Maybe Ms. Mahone filed the complaint at the same time as she tried to bail out her boyfriend.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

For now but are we beginning to see a pattern of police killings? The pa guy and before him that guy in ca that they burned in the cabin.
    In between there the Ferguson shooting of police that had nothing to do with the Ferguson case.
    Seems like the media keeps putting this out there and the people are picking it up and running with it.
    The majority won't go out looking to hurt the police but at the same time won't help or will turn a blind eye, when the thugs are out, should the police need help.

Seems that is the culture now.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    The passenger is showing restraint? What do you mean by that? The police are telling him to exit and he is not exiting.

How is not complying with a lawful police order showing restraint?

There was nothing lawful about the police order. Since when does a moving infraction equate to everyone in the vehicle exiting and being patted down nowadays?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Normally I read every post before thinking about writing anything. I'm not reading any posts cause I'm sure I already know what they will all say.

I saw all the video available for this case and I am pissed off beyond belief that these "Parents" put their kids in harms way like this. :xmad: Yep - I said it.

- Do you really think the officers reacted because of a seatbelt law? They made legal contact and these guys refused to cooperate.
    - Do you think the officers pulled their guns because he didn't have ID? No - He made a questionable move with a bag in the backseat.
    - Why do you think the officers pulled him out? He wouldn't open the door and step out after being ask to - repeatedly.

They made legal contact. Obviously they wanted the passenger out, which they can legally do. Dude did not follow any commands. Not having his ID had nothing to do with it. How he acted, had everything to do with it.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Two of these cops have prior cases for excessive force. Hmmm.

I love how cassually he breaks the window. I'm sure he was in fear of the passenger.

Top Bottom