I'm new and your 50-post rule sucks! Please change it for my convenience.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Interesting. I don't think I'm the one that has been insulting. I looked over the FAQ and everything I could find about the 50 post count was for SELLING items. Just don't understand why that would apply to someone looking to buy.

Here, let me help you out. I even highlighted some parts since you said you couldn't find them. After all, I wouldn't want to be accused of being unhelpful to someone who just wants to snipe the classifieds. :rolleyes:

Why do I have to have 50 "quality" posts to be able to send a PM to a member or to post in the Classifieds section of the forum? What is a "quality" post anyway?
    This is really two separate questions, but they frequently get asked together, so it's a little easier to answer them together.

For the first question: the short answer is "to reduce spam." We created this forum to be a community of firearms enthusiasts in the state of Indiana. It is first and foremost a place where like-minded people can get together and chat about a topic that is relevant to them and that they are passionate about - firearms (of all types). We added the Classifieds section as a perk to our contributing members so that individuals could buy, sell or trade items (not necessarily firearms related) within the Indiana firearms community.

We do not intend for the Classifieds section to become another "Craigslist" or "eBay" for guns. We're also not interested in boosting our membership numbers with people who are here to grab a deal out of the Classifieds and then vanish forever (something that happens all too frequently). We require 50 "quality" posts because many of our members do not like to do business, especially in regards to firearms, with people they do not know. Posting in other places in the forums can give members an idea of what kind of person you are (in general). You do not have to necessarily post about firearms. You can spend all of your time posting on the silly threads in the Break Room. The idea is to show us a little bit of your personality. You don't have to give us your life history. A small blood sample will suffice. ;)

As far as "quality" of your posts goes, we just want to see something more than a "one-liner" in response to a thread. In some contexts, a "one-liner" is appropriate. For example, if the topic is "What do you carry?" a response of "G19, 3:00" is entirely acceptable. However, 50 "Thanks for the info!" posts may not be construed positively when you yourself are brand new to the forum and then you subsequently head straight to the Classifieds section. In other words, we would like to see a post that actually contributes to the thread and not something that just takes up space.

You will find that once you get past the initial water-testing phase, INGO actually has a very welcoming community around here. In fact, one of our members created a whole thread giving a proper welcome for our new members: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_...r_newbies.html. Be sure to check it out!

In short, the idea is to encourage you to participate and contribute to making INGO a great site.

Please remember that INGO is a discussion forum with a classifieds section, not a classifieds with a forum. Our members like it that way and we intend to keep it that way.

Originally Posted by INYooper
    Actually, for some people it might be easier to avoid the "50 quality posts" rule by:

• invest in bulletin board software
    • invest in computers, routers, servers, etc
    • invest time learning about how all the software and hardware work
    • invest time putting everything together
    • invest time reconfiguring everything when it doesn't work the first time
    • put the word out that you've got this fantastic gun forum and that everything is free to anyone who would like to post anything
    • discover the concept of online anarchy after you realize your forum has no guidelines ...or FAQ :dunno:
    • come back to INGO and realize that having a "50 post rule" really isn't so bad after all
    I may be missing a few steps, but ...that's the general idea, I imagine. :D

And, if you'd really rather read than write (nothing wrong with lurking), consider that the average gun magazine (the kind on the news stand, not the kind you load your gun with ;)) runs somewhere around $4-5 or so, and consider that you probably buy at least a few of them a year ...springing $15-20 a year for something you can read every day that offers:

• direct access to several firearms, knife, training, and related equipment retailers
    • personal and professional reviews of firearms and related gear
    • updates, trends, and general discussions on issues concerning Indiana firearms laws and policies
    • all manner of topics that aren't necessarily firearms related (though, categorized nicely in there appropriate forums).
    • announcements and discussions of regional happenings, opportunities, meet & shoots (and eats), etc.
    • the opportunity to participate in NFA Day!
    • posts on all things bacon!
    • at least a dozen or two other things
    • ...and, even, classifieds!
    Really, if that ain't a deal, I don't know what is! :dunno:
    Couple guys at work told me they had a decent classified section, far better than armslist at least. If they would have told me from the beginning that you have to have at least 50 posts, I probably would have never showed up. Glad I did though, INGO is addictive.
    I joined for the intent of using the classified section but because of the 50 post rule, I am much more informed about the gun that I actually want to buy (which is different than when I joined), my 2nd amendment rights, holster options, and more. I for one am thankful for the 50 post rule. :ingo:
    I am still working on my 50 posts. Actually kind of glad that it's set up this way. If not I would not have started reading all of the posts I have and would not have found out how much info is on this site. It's been great reading some of the other members stories, tips, and legal info. Stick around and keep reading. Promise you won't be sorry....I know I'm not.
    not gonna lie i came for the classifieds and have stayed around much longer for TONS of helpful info. :ingo:
    On a lighter note, read this thread and watch the videos in the OP!
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_...ed_before.html

Here's another great thread in case you missed in it the book above:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_...r_newbies.html

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ3I6SDjmsE"]You Tube[/ame]

Your "50 post rule" is stupid! You're losing out on a sale because you jerks won't let me into your classifieds! You bunch of elitist idiots! (Yes, this is really how the angry PM generally reads)
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. They all say that until they've got their 50 posts and then suddenly the rule makes perfect sense. Look, if you just can't deal with the fact that we aren't interested in trading with you when you're not a member in good standing, then we recommend trying Armslist, Gunbroker, or Hoosiertopics. Clearly INGO isn't for you. Furthermore, you're obviously under the misapprehension that INGO gets a cut of all sales, which just isn't true. We're not a gun shop. Even if it were true, it still wouldn't change the rule.

50 posts?! REALLY?! You've gotta be kidding me. There's a gun I want to buy RIGHT NOW, not in three weeks! That'll take FOREVER! NO ONE talks that much! Certainly not me. I just like to read!
    Recently, Fenway has decided to offer a way around the 50 post requirement, and that is to become a Site Supporter. His feeling is that becoming a supporter will give you a vested interested in helping the site and reduce the likelihood that you will spam the board. See this link for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/site_s..._are_here.html

When you say we need 50 posts to participate in the Classifieds, what does that mean exactly? I can still buy from people even though I don't have 50 posts yet, right? That's not really participating because you mean I just can't sell in the Classifieds, right?
    There's a reason we chose the word "participate."
    We didn't say you have to have 50 posts to sell in the Classifieds section.
    We didn't say you have to have 50 posts to trade in the Classifieds section.
    We didn't say you have to have 50 posts to buy in the Classifieds section.

You have to have 50 posts to participate in the Classifieds section.

Originally Posted by dictionary.com
    participate
    to take part, be or become actively involved, or share

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Mostly because this thread will be deleted and post counts lost. :D

Nah, we have a thread for all the newbies who are livid because they're missing that amazing deal in the classifieds and can't be bothered to contribute to get to it.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Just in the "for what it's worth category" - one of the respondents to this thread has over 21,000 "posts" in 5 years. That's over 350 posts a months - an average of over 10 posts a day ! I'm not gonna imply that everyone of those posts was not inciteful and well thought out - but I'm willing to bet there were at least a few that were sentences of five words or less. This is the problem I have with the required 50 posts. Just say'in

I have over 13,000 and yeah most of them aint worth squat. I became a site supporter well after I had my 50 "quality" post and have been at it since. It does not take long to get 50 post when you get in a good heated discussion.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have over 13,000 and yeah most of them aint worth squat. I became a site supporter well after I had my 50 "quality" post and have been at it since. It does not take long to get 50 post when you get in a good heated discussion.

I think maybe he doesn't know that I moderated and helped administer this board for 4.5 of those 5 years.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Boy, the buying frenzy has really drawn the whiners out of the woodwork this last month. A lot of entitled people out there who can't stand the fact that we're not Gunbroker.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Don't let spasmo know. She hates it when I'm right.

Wait! What?

rNphaSQ.jpg

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Interesting. I don't think I'm the one that has been insulting. I looked over the FAQ and everything I could find about the 50 post count was for SELLING items. Just don't understand why that would apply to someone looking to buy.

But I see now how this board is. Pretty much like every other one with more than a few hundred members. You've got the polite, helpful ones, the one's that like to jump down everyone's throat for any grammar or board rules missteps, and the out and out jerks.

I'll now be looking for the ignore feature.

Please add me to your ignore list.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom