If your wife was raped, would you make her have the baby?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Incorrect. But I'll still agree to disagree overall.

:cheers:
    I can certainly agree to disagree and want to keep this civil, but let me take this one step further for just a moment. :patriot:

You said that once she decided to have the child she loses the right to terminate its life. This means you:

A) Believe that life starts at birth - not a human life in the womb
    B) Believe that life starts before that, but it's ok to terminate it

You see what I'm getting at? If you truly believe that life begins before birth, it shouldn't be the right of the mother to be judge and jury to terminate that life because of something unfortunate that has happened to her. If its a human life, it shouldn't have all its rights taken away in an instant because of something that is totally outside its control.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I am guessing that most of you do not know anyone that has actually been raped and had the baby because of some of the insanity some of you are speaking.

This scenario happened to my sis in law almost 13 years ago. She chose to keep the baby and she is now happily married with 2 other children. I couldn't imagine our family without my nephew. We don't look at him and see a horrible creature. We look at him and see a beautiful, amazing young man.

Rape is horrible. I can't even imagine it. But neither can I imagine ending an innocent life....I am guessing not many of you know anyone who lives with the regret of an abortion. I have had the opportunity to friend a gal that tells her story to many teens hoping to convince them to wait on having sex. After hearing her story, I think that an abortion would haunt me more than living with an unplanned child even from rape.

Just in case you are wondering, my husband approves this decision!

Bless you, MarineMom (or is that putting my thoughts into God's head?:n00b:). My children are all long gone, married and have children of their own. But sometimes when I'm half awake it still hurts remembering my little guys in their own rooms at our home and knowing that's all history. I often wonder what some women, not all I'm sure, feel when they are in the still of the night with just their thoughts. How painful that must be to try to picture what their aborted child would look like at 5, 10, 16 years old. That lasts a life time.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have no problem if someone wants to get an abortion. Not my right to impose that on them. My problem comes from a government that feels that I need to pay for their abortion.

My wife would decide (without my coercion) to carry to term.

If the .gov is footing the bill for an abortion, chances are likely they would be footing the bill for that childs entire pre adult life. You are going to pay either way, if your objection is a monetary one its probably cheaper to pay once up front than to pay for 18 years or more.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    So if it's irrelevant to you I don't know why you are even talking to me, as you clearly don't believe that a baby in the womb is a human life. I'm not debating the term "murder" vs "homicide", you are. To me it makes no difference, it is morally wrong either way you want to term it. You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that.

Do you or would you make abortion illegal if you could? If you would vote to outlaw abortion, you don't respect others opinions. What is right for you may not be right for others. I bet you hope that others aren't given the chance to take your constitutional right to keep your guns.

That is one thing I don't get about the gun community. You would think someone who is a gun person would be all about freedom, all about equal rights, all about being able to make a choice that is right for us and our family.

Unfortunately its not that way, seems a good size percentage care only about the "freedoms" or "rights" they approve of.

I am not pro life or pro choice, I am pro freedom. Even when its not something I am comfortable with.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Do you or would you make abortion illegal if you could? If you would vote to outlaw abortion, you don't respect others opinions. What is right for you may not be right for others. I bet you hope that others aren't given the chance to take your constitutional right to keep your guns.

That is one thing I don't get about the gun community. You would think someone who is a gun person would be all about freedom, all about equal rights, all about being able to make a choice that is right for us and our family.

Unfortunately its not that way, seems a good size percentage care only about the "freedoms" or "rights" they approve of.

I am not pro life or pro choice, I am pro freedom. Even when its not something I am comfortable with.

Yes I absolutely would make it illegal. I'm all about freedom and equal rights, which is exactly why I'm pro-life. I support people doing whatever they want to until it infringes on the rights of someone else, in this case unborn children who cannot defend themselves.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    If your wife was brutally raped by some low life scumbag, would you insist that she carried the baby to full term and give birth to it? This is a serious question because this point was brought up by some politicians recently. I think personalizing it by making it your wife instead of some stanger is a more honest way of looking at things. Everyone is someone's wife, daughter or mother.
    Either you believe an unborn baby is a human life or you don't!

rbsangler

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Lizton
    Ponder this......A woman is raped (by stranger......OR Husband, OR boyfriend, yes it does happen, unfortunately) Subsequently the woman chooses to keep the child, carry it to term. Is that child then somehow not a child of God? Is the woman less respectable? Should she be shunned? I would lay odds that many of us know a person in this situation, a mother, a child or both, we cannot say for certain that we don't, can we? Obviously, people do not go around telling these types of stories about their husbands and boyfriends. It is my opinion that these were the issues that Mr Mourdock had in mind as he responded to a set up question by a Liberal moderator who then expected a complete responce in 30 seconds.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edporch

She believes (and I agree with her) that the baby should be allowed to be born and then put up for adoption because the baby IS an innocent human life.

My mother was an unmarried 16 year old when I was born and given up for adoption in 1964.

I have a great life that includes 4 great Kids and a wonderful Wife. I pay my taxes and mind my own business.

Don't really know about criminal rape, but I am glad my Mother chose as she did.

My wife has gone through menopause and she'll not be having any more kids. But if she could; I guess the answer to the question would be No. I don't really see here choosing to end the life of the child, or me asking her to do so.

I can relate.

I was the result of a 26 year old man impregnating a 13 year old baby sitter.
    My birthfather was CLEARLY a criminal, yet I wasn't killed because of it.

I was put up for adoption and adopted at birth.
    Then became part of a good family that has treated me as blood my whole life.

I found my blood family at age 40, and through the years have built positive connections with several on the MATERNAL side and they've made good ADDITIONS to my family I've had my whole life.

Don't EVER let people say this NEVER works.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Personally I don't think I could ever abort a baby without suffering severe guilt. As a mother I have felt a child grow, move and kick inside me. Regardless of what anyone says, that fetus is a living being. Any woman who has carried a child can attest to this.

Why not prevent conception with emergency contraception as soon as the rape exam is over if not before? If conception has taken place then she can take the abortion pills once the exam is over instead of waiting for that group of cells to become a fetus.

Ideally we would like the woman to carry the baby to term. If she can't, then it would be preferable to end it as soon as it begins.

These are just my personal preferences. As I have never been in this situation I can't truly empathize with someone who has. I think a woman should have the option available if she is raped or has other extreme circumstances.

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    Neither my wife nor I would KILL the inocent party because of the actions of the guilty. Have any of you thought of that? It's not the childs fault! I personally know a young man who was the product of rape. He is a fine man. So many of you posters would have killed my friend. How dare you! This is just one of many reasons that a low-life like Obama can be reelected. He would kill his own grandchildren. (his words not mine). Dear God, please withhold your judgement upon my beloved country.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Neither my wife nor I would KILL the inocent party because of the actions of the guilty. Have any of you thought of that? It's not the childs fault! I personally know a young man who was the product of rape. He is a fine man. So many of you posters would have killed my friend. How dare you! This is just one of many reasons that a low-life like Obama can be reelected. He would kill his own grandchildren. (his words not mine). Dear God, please withhold your judgement upon my beloved country.

I disagree with one thing. Dear God please pass judgement on this entire country right now, including me.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    I can certainly agree to disagree and want to keep this civil, but let me take this one step further for just a moment. :patriot:

You said that once she decided to have the child she loses the right to terminate its life. This means you:

A) Believe that life starts at birth - not a human life in the womb
    B) Believe that life starts before that, but it's ok to terminate it

You see what I'm getting at? If you truly believe that life begins before birth, it shouldn't be the right of the mother to be judge and jury to terminate that life because of something unfortunate that has happened to her. If its a human life, it shouldn't have all its rights taken away in an instant because of something that is totally outside its control.

If you insist. I'll keep it as civil as I can. :D

I completely understand where you're coming from. This is one of those issues I struggle with, as I've come to suspect most people do at some point.

My stance, probably like most everyone else's, is something I kind of just believe. I don't want to tip-toe around or get this thread locked as a result of talking about religion...so this is sort of a difficult topic to talk about on INGO. Basically, I believe the exact instance of "life" isn't really a solidly documented period in the life time line, so we all have our different ideas or beliefs of when, exactly that begins. In my opinion, by the time a woman knows she's pregnant, there is some sort of a life growing inside her. I just (and this is entirely my opinion) don't believe that life form is yet equipped with a soul.

It is my personal philosophy that there is a difference. So, I choose (B). I think there is a life there. But, I insist that at that point, the mother's rights trump the developing life's rights. I sincerely wish the mother would choose to not abort. Edporch is great. We need more people like him based on him INGO posts. I just hold the opinion that the victim of a rape shouldn't be forced to bear the child of her attacker, if she insisted that she couldn't handle the situation, and ultimately chose to have the developing life inside her terminated.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    That's wonderful that you would decide to go ahead and not end a life. But, do you believe this decision should be legislated for you, one way or the other? Remember, that just because today (not in reality) someone is forcing you to have the baby, doesn't mean that that same power cannot be used one day to force people to NOT have the baby.

I'm more comfortable leaving this decision to each individual, instead of being controlled by other people, one way or the other.

Some of us believe abortion is murder, even more heinous as the victim is innocent & defenseless. Some believe you should not have the right to murder. You'll not change our minds, we're not likely to change yours.

Rape is an act of evil, I pray nobody ever has to be subjected to that, what a sad people we are, I'll never understand how people can do so much evil to others.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    Some of us believe abortion is murder, even more heinous as the victim is innocent & defenseless. Some believe you should not have the right to murder. You'll not change our minds, we're not likely to change yours.

One of the differences that I've taken note of is that most people want to change minds. I don't care if I change your mind on this issue. You don't want to get abortions? Great, you're a nice person and I'm glad there are people like you out there. You want to get an abortion? Okay...it's really none of my business, seeing as how this sounds like an extraordinary personal decision.

I would never attempt to force my beliefs onto another person. I will wholeheartedly disregard your beliefs if they are forced onto me and I disagree with them. This issue should be left for individuals to decide. If you are religious, you probably believe that even with the consent of the public, the person "murdering" and innocent life will have to answer for this as an individual.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    If your wife was brutally raped by some low life scumbag, would you insist that she carried the baby to full term and give birth to it? This is a serious question because this point was brought up by some politicians recently. I think personalizing it by making it your wife instead of some stanger is a more honest way of looking at things. Everyone is someone's wife, daughter or mother.
    NOT only NO, but HELL NO !!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom