If you were to buy a used 4WD vehicle... what would it be?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nalees

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    Wife brought up an intriguing idea today, and I'm prone to jump on things like this cause they don't happen often ;) Her idea was that since winter is coming and we're getting ready to move into our new house, that we get rid of my 2000 Pontiac Bonneville and look into something with 4wd.

Right now we have the Bonne and her 08 Altima sedan (our main driver). My car is only used for daily driving to and from work, which is only about 5 miles total. Our budget isn't large, probably in the range of whatever my car will sell/trade for (~$4000) + $1000... so I guess a max of $5,000.

I'm not sure we can even really get much for that, but let's hear your :twocents:!

P.S. I've never owned anything other than a car, I've always had a Pontiac... 94 Grand Prix --> 05 GTO --> 00 Bonne.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Might be able to slide into a 10-year old Jeep of some kind. The Cherokees 4wd system is pretty good.

It's all the OTHER stuff on the vehicle that'll give you fits.

Good luck searching!

-J-

Trevorreplys

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2009
    I'd get a GMC Dualie but with 5000.. mmm Id probably get a used Jeep. Maybe a mid sized SUV. Look on craigslist / ebay for some inspiration

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    We'll always have a 4x4 pickup truck as one of our two vehicles. Just too much stuff that we need to haul that would not fit in anything but a pickup. Pickups are easy to find in almost any price range, too.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I had a 2 door 98 GMC jimmy I picked up in 2003 for 4000, You wouldnt believe the H*LL I put that thing through, and never got stuck. It got through any everyday situation along with my friends muddy 4 wheeler track that had large jumps on it. Of course I wasnt jumping just running up and down the jumps but they were quite steep and it had been pouring. His dads a farmer and has many tractors so getting stuck wasnt a big deal...but suprisingly we never had to worry about it. Mikes car was was mad though cuz they will wash it till its clean. Took me 8 runs through the wash. Kind of a long story but my point here is that thing could not get stuck, and it was cheap. Surely you could find newer ones now for 4-5 G's. I think the short wheelbase had a lot to do with it. The 4.3L Vortec V6 isnt too bad on gas either.

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    quick question regarding the Jeep suggestions, aren't Jeeps known for their expensive & frequent mechanical problems?

My 98 with the 4.0 inline six is dependable and is easy to repair. This is one of the reasons I bought it. Expensive to repair no I do my own repairs and I'm not that mechanically inclined.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    You could probably pick up a used Subaru Outback for that. The AWD is great and they make great range cars. Lots of room for guns -n- gear.

zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    You could find a jeep grand cherokee for that money pretty easy. the 4.0 is rock solid. the transmissions can be touchy. As for expensive to repair, only jeep people think so. parts for jeeps are not that bad.

Edit: Working on the jeep would def be cheaper than the GTO

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Full size chevy 4x4...you can pick up one for cheap, they last forever, and you can beat the snot out of them.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, if you could find one in good shape I'd say get yourself a good late 70's or early 80's International Harvester Scout. They're wicked great! I've owned 2 and loved both of them. Even after all these years they're workhorses. Barring that, find yourself a good used Toyota Tacoma. If they can drive to the North Pole they can do anything. They're the toughest around, bar none.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    quick question regarding the Jeep suggestions, aren't Jeeps known for their expensive & frequent mechanical problems?

Maybe older CJ's & such but not so much newer stuff.
    Remember though you have another powered axle and another transmission etc. so any 4WD will bea bit more in maintence than a 2WD

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    I'm a MOPAR guy have had 7 Ramchargers & a couple 4WD Pickups from 1/2 ton to 3/4 since 1978. My last Ramcharger was the last year they built them (1993) and it's still giving me great service.
    I'll have a Ramcharger as long as I possibly can
    But you really can't go wrong with a Grand Cherokee
    I had a few of them I was in charge of in another life,along with Hummers & a range rover and it's the vehicle my buddy hauls behind the motorhome and we use it for prarie doggin it's got a nice ride and when you need it the 4WD is awsome, A very nice vehicle,ride and capable off road.

czar996

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    I agree with the Jeep Cherokee suggestion. They are pretty tough and can be found quite regularly for your budget!

Top Bottom