If you were to buy a used 4WD vehicle... what would it be?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I agree with the comment for an older Jeep Cherokee, just get the 4.0L engine and you should be good.

Maybe a Ranger with 4x4 could be had in decent shape for the $5k limit.

mkelsey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Springville
    I used to have a ford bronco that was an absolute tank, I abused it to no end, had it up to the windows in lake monroe and put it through hell anywhere I could find a good place to lock the wheels in and try to tear it up and it never even sputtered(there was a little sputtering after it went swimming but thats to be expected) heck of a truck and I would buy another in a heartbeat.

nalees

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    wow, the overwhelming vote for a Jeep Grand Cherokee has prompted me to start my search there first. i will be doing some research on them and see whats available in the area! i'll be looking into the other suggestions too.

please keep the comments rolling!

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    quick question regarding the Jeep suggestions, aren't Jeeps known for their expensive & frequent mechanical problems?

Wranglers(YJ, TJ, CJ), Cherokees are not in theaforementioned group, Grand Cherokees, Libertys and the other new Jeep wannabes are though

I would buy a Cherokee or a Ramcharger if it were me, I have a family of four to haul, I would get a Wrangler if it was just me or me and the wifey.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Nalees there is a big difference in the Cherokee and the Grand Cherokee mostly comfort stuff but they do have some expensive to fix 4x4 systems that the Cherokees do not have

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    My vote also for Jeep Cherokee with 4.0 inline six. My daughter and 2 of my sons each owned one -good dependable transportation. My Jeep Grand Cherokee(4.0 also) will stay mine for a long,long time............ I'm on the lookout for a Cherokee with 4.0 and 5 speed for a backup 2nd 4WD,myself. I can't always convince the wife to give up(HER) Grand Cherokee to me when bad weather hits;)

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    My vote also for Jeep Cherokee with 4.0 inline six.

Good thing you mentioned this nalees I would shy away from anything but the 4.0L jeep engine. There are plenty of them on the road and can easily go 300,000 miles if cared for properly. There is a discussion on this forum somewhere regarding that exact topic.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Jeep Cherokee. They use the exact same drivetrain as the wranglers. I would get a 4.0L w/ automatic. They are darn near indestructible. 300,000 miles with proper maintenance is not uncommon. I would try to stick with a newer one, and I wouldn't be scared of one with 100,000 miles on it, as long as its in good mechanical shape. Should be able to easily stick to your budget with a cherokee.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If mileage is not an issue and you want a little bit of room, go for a late 90's Tahoe or Yukon with the Vortec 350. If you are concerned about fuel prices going back up, then try a mid/late 90's Suzuki Sidekick or Chevy Tracker (get one with full frame, not the newer unibody, and go for the manual tranny to maximize mileage), they can go anywhere a stock jeep can go and cost considerably less.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Nalees there is a big difference in the Cherokee and the Grand Cherokee mostly comfort stuff but they do have some expensive to fix 4x4 systems that the Cherokees do not have

grand cherokees are all around better. I have a 97 4.0 with an old man emu lift kit. grands are everything cherokees are but with more creature comforts and better suspension. as far as transfer cases the 242 is rock solid I'm not a fan of the 247 though(two words viscous coupling) but you don't really see those much until late 98 and on. the 242 is chain driven and the preferred transfer case by most jeepers unless your hardcore. I love the reliabilty of the 4.0 but if given the chance would have a 5.2 in a heartbeat. but to answer the OP's ??? JEEP!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    Lapel
    No independent suspension

Im a CJ-5 guy but the in line 4.0 and solid axles in the cherokee are the way to go. Parts are everywhere and the aftermarket world has everything you need.

nalees

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    alright you guys have sold me on a Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee. I'll try to aim for the Grand Cherokee if I can get one in my price range. I'm already doing some searches for ones in the area and bookmarking them all. We're closing on our first house in two weeks, so this will probably get pushed off until closer to the end of the year.

At least I know what to look for now. I will have to make a spreadsheet of all the available ones and compare their features/mileage/etc... to see what is the best deal.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I would avoid a grand cherokee IF it has the expensive computer controlled 4wd system (quad-trac or something like that).

You want the basics here, no computer controls, no push button shift on the fly, etc.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    grand cherokees are all around better. I have a 97 4.0 with an old man emu lift kit. grands are everything cherokees are but with more creature comforts and better suspension.

better is a matter of preference. Sure it has coils all the way around, but they have their limits. Some guys prefer leafs in the rear and some hard core rock crawlers have actually converted their TJs over to rear leaf setups. But, Ill never lie and say that leafs ride better than coils! ;)

as far as transfer cases the 242 is rock solid I'm not a fan of the 247 though(two words viscous coupling) but you don't really see those much until late 98 and on. the 242 is chain driven and the preferred transfer case by most jeepers unless your hardcore.

IMO, preference would be 231 > 242 > * The 242 is nice, and has the option of full time vs. part time 4wd, but it has a locking diff in the transfer case that can (and does) break. The more simple, and stronger choice is to get the 231 TC.

I love the reliabilty of the 4.0 but if given the chance would have a 5.2 in a heartbeat. but to answer the OP's ??? JEEP!

I wont argue this, both are great engines.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I would 2nd a Jeep Cherokee. With solid axles front and back and a pretty dedicated 4wd off road system, it is probably the only vehicle I have ever owned and never got stuck in spite to messing around to see how much it could take. The 4.0's run forever. The only weakness that I know of is the factory motor mounts like to give around 60K. Get it replaced and you are good to go.

Joe

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I'll pile on with the Cherokee crowd.
    Bought mine with 136k on in and have put 30k on it in 9 months. Needed a ball joint at one point so I had both replaced. Other than that just brakes, gas and oil changes.....rides more like a CJ than a car. If you want the car-like ride go with a Grand Cherokee but get the inline 6.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    You could probably pick up a used Subaru Outback for that. The AWD is great and they make great range cars. Lots of room for guns -n- gear.

I've got a '96 Legacy station wagon I'd be willing to let go for around $1350...its AWD, and has the 2.2 4 cyl versus the 2.5 in the Outback, which I've heard has issues, especially with head gaskets.

The interior is kinda fugly (not torn up, just ugly!), and it needs new tires. But it runs like a top and has plenty of cargo room.

Top Bottom