If you were to buy a used 4WD vehicle... what would it be?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    We own a GC and I wish we had a Cherokee. Too much crap to go wrong on the GC with all the stylish luxury crap, but I am a simple man with few needs.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    ^^^ +1

The GC is marginally roomier.

My family and one good friend have had a few GC, and they are nice vehicles. But all the extra luxury crap they pile on them seems to go to pot. From the heated seats setting your junk on fire when they short out, to the HVAC system crapping out and pushing cold air to one side, to the craptastic Quadratrack 4wd systems taking a dump........... Ill stick with the functional simplicity FTW! :)

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    This is like buying a firearm. You've got to define your budget *and* the role you want it to fill. Pistol caliber rifle for hunting in Indiana, pocket gun for deep concealed carry, maybe shotgun for home defense, full size frame pistol for range...

If you want to haul large items and maybe pull a trailer, then look at full size 4wd trucks. You won't find a full size Toyota for <$5k (maybe a 200k mile T100) but you will find domestic trucks.

If you want to off-road, then the Cherokee suggestion is good or a Toyota smaller truck. Wrangler but they will be few and far between for less than $5k with the 4.0 liter. Stick with the 4.0.

If you just want to drive back and forth to work in the snow, then an AWD car/wagon/van would be your best bet. Snowy roads in Indiana are usually patchy - some sections clear, some snowy. You DON'T want to be driving around in locked-hub 4wd truck/suv on clear/dry pavement... at least not if you plan to turn the steering wheel. The awd will be there when you need it and no concern over locking/pushing-the-button to engage 4wd.

I've had a few. The 79 K5 Blazer was the best in the mud. The 87 Mitsubishi Montero 2-door (safari looking, not the Montero Sport that was a 4runner clone) was the best I owned on the trails. The 454ci, extended cab Chevy was the best for hauling/pulling while still climbing the 3000ft logging road in all conditions to the transmitter bldg in the Smokies. The Subaru Legacy was the best AWD performer in the snow, followed by the AllTrac Toyota Previa van and then the wife's current Honda CRV.

We've had Cherokees, CRVs, TrailBlazers and Explorers as station/reporter vehicles. The CRVs were the most reliable. The Cherokees were good but sucked in 2wd mode in the rain. I also felt waaaay too cramped in the Cherokee with my 6'3", 230# frame. The Explorer was a total piece of crap.

I'm driving a late nineties Z71, extended cab Chevy K1500 with the Vortec 5.7 right now. I wanted to be able to haul stuff in the bed or pull trailers (motorcycle/popup camper/etc..)

(Edit: I forgot. There was also a 80/81 full size Cherokee Chief. It looked like a 2-door Grand Wagoneer. It was also good but not nearly the horse that the K-5 Blazer was off-road.)

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you're looking for something to play with...and as a project...you might look at a Suzuki Samurai. They were built from 1986-1995. The motors were junk and good for only about 75K miles...throw away. But the rest of the drive train was nearly indestructible. With a little modification you could drop in a small V-6. The modification possibilities were endless. And they would go anywhere...even stock...until that junky motor gave out. I had an '87 and an '89. Lots of fun.
    I didn't know they had problematic motors... I personally am fond of older Sidekicks and Trackers. I have yet to find a cheap used one with a decent AT or one that doesn't drip oil... oh well, they are a quarter the cost of a UTV and are street legal. My dream was to put an older VW diesel and 5 speed in mine.:rockwoot: Sadly I sold it, after constant spousal herassment over oil spots, and the fact the it "just wasn't safe to have the baby in the car seat in back"....:facepalm:

truegrit

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Highland,IN
    I'm a GM guy but you could probably find a 98-2003 GMC Jimmy or Chev S-10 Blazer for that price also for the Ford guys there are probably some good explorers for that price too. ("Build,Buy,Be American")

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    For a family car I'd suggest the Outback or a Cherokee.

For one or two people how about a Tracker/Sidekick.

If you buy a Wrangler, you'll realize how much fun it is to drive in the snow, then you'll want to try mud, then you'll want to go to an offroad park and have tons of fun, then you'll want to buy bigger tires, better axles, etc.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    ^^^ +1

The GC is marginally roomier.

My family and one good friend have had a few GC, and they are nice vehicles. But all the extra luxury crap they pile on them seems to go to pot. From the heated seats setting your junk on fire when they short out, to the HVAC system crapping out and pushing cold air to one side, to the craptastic Quadratrack 4wd systems taking a dump........... Ill stick with the functional simplicity FTW! :)

I had a Grand Cherocar and had few problems with it. Yes the heated seat on the driver's side quit working, the sunroof quit after awhile, but fulltime 4wd rocks.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I didn't know they had problematic motors... I personally am fond of older Sidekicks and Trackers. I have yet to find a cheap used one with a decent AT or one that doesn't drip oil... oh well, they are a quarter the cost of a UTV and are street legal. My dream was to put an older VW diesel and 5 speed in mine.:rockwoot: Sadly I sold it, after constant spousal herassment over oil spots, and the fact the it "just wasn't safe to have the baby in the car seat in back"....:facepalm:
    As I said...I had two. One I rebuilt the engine myself. I sold it shortly after because it was a rust bucket around the fender wells and I found a good deal on the second one. I had rebuilt the first shortly after 75K miles...and the guy I sold it to had the same problem...the engine just started wearing out around the 75K mark.

The second one I bought had around 80K on it...and the same problems. Using oil and noticeable loss of power and zip (lack of compression). Most times it was all you could do to get 55mph out of it. I didn't have the time or the facilities to rebuild this one so I had it professionally done...for 3 times the cost of the first one...and had the same issues after time. 75K miles is all I could get out of 3 motors. I guess it's how they were designed...throw away motors? :dunno:

But the rest of the drive train I've read nothing but good things about...tough as nails. And the transfer case I've read is one of the best around. But damn...they were so much fun to drive. ;) I'd love to have another with a Vortec V-6 in it...as I've read could be done. :yesway:

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I missed this thread first time around, but since it's back at the top, I'll say GMC.

I've always been a pontiac/GMC guy, and was disappointed Obama took GM over and shut down pontiac.

Actually, I've only had one pontiac, a grand prix, but wanted a TA growing up, and a GTO from '04-'06. Actually, I still want a '69 judge, but that's just a fart in the wind at this point.

I think GMC will make you happy. I've had 2 jimmys (an '88 and a '95) an '03 Envoy, and now a Tahoe (yeah it's a Chevy, but it's nearly the same as the Yukon).

Top Bottom