If you were to buy a used 4WD vehicle... what would it be?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I saw a very nicely maintained 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport w/4.0 litre six cylinder locally for around 4500 bucks. It has low miles (for the year), excellent body, cd player, 4 wheel drive (is that even an option?). It would be a great car for if and when we have rugrats. I want a Wrangler so bad I can't stand it but I will have to wait.
    I think Jeep made some 2WD versions for specialty orders...gov't. and such. But you won't find many. That's a damn good price.

2001 is the last year they made the Cherokee Sport in the traditional body style. I think the new crap they sell is ugly. Jeep sued Hummer over the design of their front grill and lost...they've been pissed ever since...so they changed the body style. WTH?? :):

Tell me this is not sweet.... :) Looks just like mine...except my grill is not chrome.

01cherokee.jpg

Jeep%20Lapel%20Pin.jpg

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    The jeep 6cyls are bullet proof, but i've never heard of problems with the 4cyl. If you intend to offroad with it. I would look into a ZJ (Grand Cherokee) cuz they have coil overs front and rear in opposed to the XJ (Cherokee Sport) I don't know the years for the XJ off the top of my head, but not much changed year to year. 98-02 ZJs are supposed to be the best years, but I don't know why. I have a TJ 98-05 Wrangler. I love it, but it's pretty loud and I some days I don't like the fact it's my daily. I have hard doors/roof on it. If you plan to go wheeling, 98+ has coil overs on all 4 corners that make them a bit more capable. All of the older ones are still nice though. I think the XJ is the best bang for the buck, especially if you don't plan to spend a lot of time off pavement, but might go occasionally.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Veyron

hehe

Just use this search. Sign up, and get alerts based on your criteria, too. That is how I got my awesome Prius. :)

Also, call circlecar(s).com... they might broker for you.

But here is a search.... look through these and get an idea of what is available nearby and in your price range.

Jeep Cherokee is my suggestion.

Find Your Car: Listings Near Indianapolis, IN 46207 - AutoTrader.com

But here are the least mileage 4x4s, withing 100 miles, with UNDER 75k miles.

Find Your Car: Listings Near Indianapolis, IN 46207 - AutoTrader.com

But, snow is not a reason to buy a 4x4. Not much snow around anymore. Plus 4x4s are or can be more costly to maintain.

This Honda (Isuzu) looks good if an SUV is your thing.
    Cars for Sale: 2000 Honda Passport EX in Urbana, IL 61802: Sport Utility Details - 267787259 - AutoTrader.com
    13136254158.267787259.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

The most versatile vehicle that you could get is this AWD minivan.
    Cars for Sale: 2002 Chrysler Voyager in DAYTON , OH 45459: Van Details - 268940124 - AutoTrader.com

Just enough 4x4 for SNOW... which isn't much.

If you want AWD, though, look at used subbies.
    AWD Search... Find Your Car: Listings Near Indianapolis, IN 46207 - AutoTrader.com

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I know a couple of cherokee owners and both of them have said never again. They both also said how much fun they are in the snow and easy to fix. Not much of an answer huh? If it's just for commuting I've always thought one of the subarus might be the ticket but am totally happy with my 2000 super duty diesel.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I know a guy that has had three subbies. And I've been surprised at the issues he's had. Now, with Toyota perhaps increasing ownership in Subaru, as well as sharing assembly facilities, AND coming out with a new Toy/Sub car soon, perhaps Subbies will get better quality-wise?

I still like most Subarus, though.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    If you plan to go wheeling, 98+ has coil overs on all 4 corners that make them a bit more capable. All of the older ones are still nice though. I think the XJ is the best bang for the buck, especially if you don't plan to spend a lot of time off pavement, but might go occasionally.

Ive owned both a TJ and an XJ and Ive been to the Badlands in both for some wheelin. Coils are not the end all-be all for jeep suspension. They are nice for on-road comfort, and they are great for some nice axle droop poser shots, but when you really need your rear suspension to stay loaded up and connected to the body, nothing beats a good set of flexy leaf springs!!

Plus, with the XJ and leafs you can get a tow rating of 5K lbs. right from the factory. ;)

You guys are really pushing the jeep button in my brain again with this thread. I missed my XJ when I sold it, and I missed my TJ when I traded it last winter. I need to start looking for an XJ again, as it was, for me, the most versatile vehicle Ive owned.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ive owned both a TJ and an XJ and Ive been to the Badlands in both for some wheelin. Coils are not the end all-be all for jeep suspension. They are nice for on-road comfort, and they are great for some nice axle droop poser shots, but when you really need your rear suspension to stay loaded up and connected to the body, nothing beats a good set of flexy leaf springs!!

Plus, with the XJ and leafs you can get a tow rating of 5K lbs. right from the factory. ;)

You guys are really pushing the jeep button in my brain again with this thread. I missed my XJ when I sold it, and I missed my TJ when I traded it last winter. I need to start looking for an XJ again, as it was, for me, the most versatile vehicle Ive owned.

They just need to start making it again.
    But the Jeep Patriot is pretty good. On snow it stacks up well to competition. I took it out in 8" snow back-to-back against RAV4, CR-V, RDX and it did very well. RDX is sweet in snow, though.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I know a guy that has had three subbies. And I've been surprised at the issues he's had. Now, with Toyota perhaps increasing ownership in Subaru, as well as sharing assembly facilities, AND coming out with a new Toy/Sub car soon, perhaps Subbies will get better quality-wise?

I still like most Subarus, though.

That's odd, most of my friends down in NC have Scubys and they only problems any of them ever had were user induced. I'm thinking about trading my TJ in on a WRX.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I'm still partial to a good Ford truck, whether an F150 or F250-F350 superduty. Either one will take good care of you. Very reliable and will give you more room to haul than any Jeep :p

We have both a 95 F250 4x4, reg cab, long bed, 351W v8, 5 spd manual. And a 2000 F250 SD 4x4, ext cab, short bed, 7.3 powerstroke, 6 spd manual. And both run and drive great. The 95 is now our spray truck, and the 2000 is dad's daily drive and work truck. He was saying he wanted to start driving his ranger again, but still won't seem to give up his diesel. :):

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That's odd, most of my friends down in NC have Scubys and they only problems any of them ever had were user induced. I'm thinking about trading my TJ in on a WRX.

I don't know a whole lot of Subaru owners. The one guy I know that has/had them had two WRXs and one Outback. I think they had (some under warranty) transmission issues, and some good leaks. Other issues, too, I just can't recall.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    My vote is for an old Bronco (Full Size ONLY) or a Blazer (Full Size Only)! I know you can pick up the older Tahoe's and Expedition's at about your price too. I'd go with something older, with easier to find parts, and easy to work on.

On the other hand ANYTHING you buy will be easy to work on than a PONTIAC!! I can't believe you LIKE those hunks of CRAP! :laugh:

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    If you're looking for something to play with...and as a project...you might look at a Suzuki Samurai. They were built from 1986-1995. The motors were junk and good for only about 75K miles...throw away. But the rest of the drive train was nearly indestructible. With a little modification you could drop in a small V-6. The modification possibilities were endless. And they would go anywhere...even stock...until that junky motor gave out. I had an '87 and an '89. Lots of fun.

Suzuki_Samurai_Convertible_320x240.jpg

suzuki-samurai.jpg

Jaredsuzukiproject3.jpg

samurai-camo.jpg

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    If you're looking for something to play with...and as a project...you might look at a Suzuki Samurai. They were built from 1986-1995. The motors were junk and good for only about 75K miles...throw away. But the rest of the drive train was nearly indestructible. With a little modification you could drop in a small V-6. The modification possibilities were endless. And they would go anywhere...even stock...until that junky motor gave out. I had an '87 and an '89. Lots of fun.

I second this- I have a relative who has a few of them for ranch duty in the desert mountains out west- they are like mountain goats - they go anywhere with little to no trouble.

Top Bottom