If you had this option would you take it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Opt in or out?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I'd opt out and forgo the refund just to cut the albatross loose.

Edit: You think the national debt is huge now, wait until SS "refund" checks were paid out and the incoming funds were no longer there with which to play accounting tricks. $17 T => $50 T.

Welcome to the United States of Greece.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    What's it to you?

Not a flipping thing other than pointing out the flaws in his planning.

You may not remember me or my insight but truly I just hate hypocrisy and people that fail to plan yet bash everything.

You see I planned and still was jacked up but those who don't plan and run their mouths are generally the ones on SSI and welfare along with Medicaid.

**** poor planning is how you end up on welfare and the Medicaid system because someone hasn't paid into the system or funded their own plans.

Does this make it clearer.

By holding it up to the light I am showing those that live for today just how the system gets overburdened and abused.

If you truly make a plan and fund it yourself then props to you.

Sadly most talk smack and end up costing the rest of us through their own ignorance of reality.

Besides that, I got nothing!

Figure out how to protect your future and work the plan.

The beauty is at 21 it is affordable but if you wait until later your payments must be much higher to get where you need to be.

I have no dog in anyone elses hunt but I am willing to consult for a small fee if anyone wants real life advice instead of glad handing high fives over how witty they are.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Indy, well said and good job sir. someone that gets it. rest assured you will probably still have to fight for your benefits in the event you ever need them. I've spent $45k in legal fees to be paid benefits that I paid for through my company.
    I clicked yes, because i dont pay into social security as a fireman, but a HUGE chunk of my check goes towards various insurances that SS would otherwise had provided.

If i were paying into it though i would have check no. I dont think the issue is with SS being around. I think the issues are with lack of oversight, wasteful spending, government using it for non SS related stuff, and just a flawed system. I dont want to see it go away, i want to see it ran responsibly.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    I personally would love to go back and opt out with the knowledge I have now but unfortunately life doesn't work this way and honestly if the system were optional easily we would have even more people that never paid in a dime crying and clamoring to get their turn on the teat when life proves that they aren't Superman and Donald Trump all rolled up into a solider of one.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    At the rate I'm going, the wife and I won't need any SS when it comes time for retirement. So I would definitely opt out. It won't be there for us anyway.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    At the rate I'm going, the wife and I won't need any SS when it comes time for retirement. So I would definitely opt out. It won't be there for us anyway.

That is awesome. What happens if you or her die, become disabled or have a major illness?

What happens if there is a divorce?

Remember this fact, people are trying to survive that retired when postage was a dime and gas was $1.01.

Imagine how screwed they are and how difficult it truly is to plan for our futures.

This is why we have social security and all of its flaws.
    it is nearly impossible for one person to fund it all alone.

The system is brokenand needs major overhauling but alone the only option is to live poor now and pray you die young. Maybe then with good life insurance your family will survive.

Anything else, your widow is jumping Joe down the block to support your kids.

Sad! Sad! Bad!

Help fix the problems please!

I've looked at this for ten years and honestly buying life insurance and dying is all I could come up with to make sure my children have more than a small monthly stipend from the estate.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    181197_339475529456253_103005129769962_824855_506815982_n.jpg

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN

Not trying to offend you but i think this is where SS went wrong. It was never intended to be a sole source of retirement, but our culture turned it into one. It became the cash cow of our country that anytime things got hard up the SS cow was there to make it better.

SS is insurance and should be ran like an insurance company NOT an entitlement program.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    That is awesome. What happens if you or her die, become disabled or have a major illness?

What happens if there is a divorce?

Remember this fact, people are trying to survive that retired when postage was a dime and gas was $1.01.

Imagine how screwed they are and how difficult it truly is to plan for our futures.

This is why we have social security and all of its flaws.
    it is nearly impossible for one person to fund it all alone.

The system is brokenand needs major overhauling but alone the only option is to live poor now and pray you die young. Maybe then with good life insurance your family will survive.

Anything else, your widow is jumping Joe down the block to support your kids.

Sad! Sad! Bad!

Help fix the problems please!

I've looked at this for ten years and honestly buying life insurance and dying is all I could come up with to make sure my children have more than a small monthly stipend from the estate.

Who pissed in your corn flakes? Just because you have had a rough go of things doesn't mean others will.

Don't blame me because I want out of a system that will give me nothing but I pay into TWICE considering I am a business owner.

Truth be told your attitude is despicable, you are painting everyone under a certain age into one group of misfits who just want to leech on the government.

I am 32 married with a kid, have life insurance, health insurance, own a business, have no debt other than my house and some of my wife's college loan. I am fiscally responsible, live within my means, have a safety net. Why should I have to pay into a system that is poorly managed, under funded, and going to run out of money long before I am of the age to collect? I can lose all my money on my own if I wanted to, at least I would have fun with what I have earned.

At some point someone is going to get screwed over, the fact that I know its me, cant do anything about it, and am expected to just take it is reprehensible.

As others have said, Social Security was never designed to be the sole means of retirement. Its not my fault others didn't have a plan B for something that we never supposed to be plan A.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    For the "highminded" folks, you don't have to settle for applying your ideals in a what-if scenario. You can put them to practical use. Although you do have to pay in, you don't have to apply for retirement benefits.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Obviously it was the fornicating douches that called everyone disabled a slob that doesn't want to work.
    If you came off the high horse you will indeed understand that I am trying to point out hypocritical thinking.

Yes even yours because without disability insurance you will repeat will need that crappy system if heaven forbid you aren't the bullet proof Superman that you feel you are.

Statistically you have about a 1 in 4 chance of becoming disabled before your retirement yet everyone acts like they are invincible.

I am not saying social security is the preferred option at all.

I am saying that it should be something mandatory unless you sign a blood oath for euthanizing yourself and any family members that can no longer provide for themselves or you should you choose to opt out.

Otherwise if you opt out and something tragic does happen we don't have to take care of you or see a commercial about how we have to take care of your family because you didn't plan for the worst.

You = anyone that opts out and doesn't have a working plan that covers everything social security does and more.

So fix the problems of this mandatory plan that blows instead of blowing sunshine about how the system would be better if you opted out.

Who pissed in your corn flakes? Just because you have had a rough go of things doesn't mean others will.

Don't blame me because I want out of a system that will give me nothing but I pay into TWICE considering I am a business owner.

Truth be told your attitude is despicable, you are painting everyone under a certain age into one group of misfits who just want to leech on the government.

I am 32 married with a kid, have life insurance, health insurance, own a business, have no debt other than my house and some of my wife's college loan. I am fiscally responsible, live within my means, have a safety net. Why should I have to pay into a system that is poorly managed, under funded, and going to run out of money long before I am of the age to collect? I can lose all my money on my own if I wanted to, at least I would have fun with what I have earned.

At some point someone is going to get screwed over, the fact that I know its me, cant do anything about it, and am expected to just take it is reprehensible.

As others have said, Social Security was never designed to be the sole means of retirement. Its not my fault others didn't have a plan B for something that we never supposed to be plan A.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Obviously it was the fornicating douches that called everyone disabled a slob that doesn't want to work.
    If you came off the high horse you will indeed understand that I am trying to point out hypocritical thinking.

Yes even yours because without disability insurance you will repeat will need that crappy system if heaven forbid you aren't the bullet proof Superman that you feel you are.

Statistically you have about a 1 in 4 chance of becoming disabled before your retirement yet everyone acts like they are invincible.

I am not saying social security is the preferred option at all.

I am saying that it should be something mandatory unless you sign a blood oath for euthanizing yourself and any family members that can no longer provide for themselves or you should you choose to opt out.

Otherwise if you opt out and something tragic does happen we don't have to take care of you or see a commercial about how we have to take care of your family because you didn't plan for the worst.

You = anyone that opts out and doesn't have a working plan that covers everything social security does and more.

So fix the problems of this mandatory plan that blows instead of blowing sunshine about how the system would be better if you opted out.

Its awful hard to hear your whining from my high horse, but should I go ahead and write you a check directly? I mean its the money I earned and the .gov takes to distribute to others. I have no issue with paying my taxes because in most cases it is used for the general good, roads, schools, police, military, covering the costs of a government.

What I have a problem with is paying a tremendous amount into a giant leaking pool that will be dry a couple decades before I have any shot at being old enough to collect from.

Basically it boils down to that you want yours so you expect me to pay into it. Knowing full well that I will never get mine. So who is part of the "me me" generation now?

Last edited:

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    **** this ****! We have bigger worries than this.

Illinois just passed a new tax on strip clubs that serve alcohol!

What ass believes that strip clubs serving alcohol leads to rape!

Passed 53-0! You have to be kidding me.

Why the hell do we put up with these taxes they pass under the guise of justification for another tax for a good cause.

Because the headlines would read lawmakers don't want rape crisis centers!

Illinois you ****ing suck ass!

Forgive my language but seriously I cannot believe the time hasn't come to dump the g strings into the harbor!

powerstrokin

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Indiana
    Just ignore him, he's trying to sell insurance and he's pissed off that no one wants to buy it. Basically, he has a product that no one wants and somehow it's THEIR fault when in fact HE'S the one selling a crappy product.

I was going to purple-ize this but screw it. No sugar coating here.

Look, oldfb, I see your point with all the talk about planning etc. etc. Here's the deal. You think young people should pay into this system, for whatever reasons. I'm sure you have good intentions.

But what gives YOU the right to dictate how other people spend their money and how they do or do not plan for their own future?!

I take pretty much the same stance on every "issue" that people are fighting about be it this, gay marriage, abortion, whatever- If it doesn't directly involve YOU/YOUR FAMILY and does not cause you ONE DAMN BIT OF HARM- then it's NOT YOUR BUSINESS.

I appologize for coming out this way but I felt I had to say it. Take care.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    First, you all are wrong because you believe I want to sell you anything.

Not licensed for quite a while.

Second,
    I don't care if you opt out because I want mine.

I'm just saying that if you aren't prepared then you have the potential to be a burden on the system so if you opt out sign the blood oath instead of saying oops feed me!
    Save me! When something goes wrong like everyone else does.

Third,
    Becoming disabled doesn't have to be permanent the 1 in 4 statistics are based on national averages and current census data not some wild guess I pulled out of my butt

Finally read my posts
    I planned for all possibilities but it wasn't always that way so I understand and agree with wanting to opt out. Only now I see how foolish I was when younger so I am trying to share some much needed reality.

My right to speech is covered under the 1st amendment that protects your right to tell me all about how selfish I am for wanting people to be informed rather then screwed over by their own pie in the sky ideals.

Opt out please! Just plan better like you all proposed you would.
    That way my tax dollars don't have to be used for welfare and I can keep more of our income towards our family if something happens to you.

Saying I don't care about a tax that doesn't affect you is typically a bone head stance from someone that missed the whole point of this argument. A tax for the rape crisis center attacks strip clubs under the guise or inference that stripping causes rape when alcohol is served. Don't drink your own koolaid please!

Could you troll and manipulate my words to fit your mindset and accusations any more?

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    I suppose you wouldn't have been part of the real Boston tea party because you drank coffee as well?

What a dolt statement from someone that has the right idea but still doesn't understand that unfair taxes affect everyone and everything.

Last edited:

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    Could definitely put my money to better use by saving or investing in very safe assets.
    The way i see things i would not get back nearly what i put in any ways and what if i die the day after i start drawing or even if i would die before that money is gone sucka!
    I say let me keep my money and let the old guy suffer that didnt plan ahead

Top Bottom