If you had this option would you take it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Opt in or out?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If I were young, I'd opt out too and invest that money instead. But I paid in for a lot of years to help fund your parents and grandparents. Now that I'm nearing that age, I'm in.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I won't take money from my kids and grandkids. I don't care if it means I need to work at WalMart as a door greeter to make ends meet.

At least it'll get me out of the house.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    All those that would opt out from the me now generation should have a vast wealth and savings plan already.

Plus be active in a personal disability insurance plan as well as long term care.

Believe me SSDI and personal insurance for disability did not prepare us for what happens when your body can no longer cash those checks your internet ego writes.

Very few actually don't or won't scramble for any way possible to make sure your family survives or even themselves alone.

Personal gut check time people.

You are 22 years old and have a huge car note, 4 shiny newer firearms and exactly one week of food in the house.

You are one paycheck away from being in default on every bill, have about $8k in savings and $15k in debt without your housing.

If you are anywhere near this scenario, just kill yourself when something goes not quite as planned because in a shtf scenario odds are you will be the intelligent looters. Who is saying, " If only I had planned better for the fact that tomorrow isn't promised to us".

Paying extra house payments with a family and having no long term insurance and life insurance means when you die your family is screwed. When you blow out your back running and gunning or some dipwad plows into you some night, your family doesn't eat. When your kid gets cancer you lose your house and most likely your child.

Honestly social security came about because no one ever plans on the worst in life happening early. So they tried to design a plan to protect and eventually give it back if nothing happened before retirement ...

It is real easy to talk big but unless you really, really have stones of steel. You will take any help you can get to make sure your family or yourself survive.

What you think is not reality so unless you have been there done that and returned things like your stimulus check in protest or have never taken one dime in need or swear a blood oath to kill yourself and your family rather than use the system, please get off your high horses.

Last edited:

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    I won't take money from my kids and grandkids. I don't care if it means I need to work at WalMart as a door greeter to make ends meet.

At least it'll get me out of the house.
    I'd gladly work at Walmart if I could sit or stand without falling over after an hour. But I would actually be hurting my family financially and I was semi prepared for disability.

Good luck with that. I hope you never go through that and never ever have to read all of the flaming schmoes that deem to even have a clue about reality.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    I would opt out because I can do a lot more with that money than the gov't like making double house payments or saving it for retirement, vacation, browning 50, or whatever I want to spend it on. This is America and it is my money. Besides why should that money go to some slob setting on their but not looking for a job and not motivated enough to try and get one.

Lmao I want to see how well you have managed what you do get to keep.

Sorry but unless you have all your ducks in a row and are prepared for ever eventuality you are one injury away from being a welfare slob too.

Of course people disabled generally don't get welfare they collect from a forced system and whatever personal insurance they have purchased, planned and sacrificed for.

Many while raising a family and working their elbows off.

That attitude is why I say ignorance is bliss.

HARVEYtheDAMNED

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    I would opt out, the refund doesn't really matter to me. I'm 21 years old.

The thing is; I haven't put myself in a penny of debt. Not one. I haven't ever taken a loan, and I won't, ever. I would rather live in a dingy apartment my whole life than live beyond my means. My paycheck is all I get; I don't have health insurance, can't afford it. I do have some savings, but it's not very much. I'm one accident, injury, or car breakdown from being broke. My savings are growing however, and bar a terrible accident, this time next year I'll be much more financially secure.

At least I'm not in debt. The government/banks, unlike literally every single one of my young friends and family, do not have me by the balls.

Currently working my way up through management, hopefully I climb that ladder fast lol. I do believe that we should care for our elderly, but instead of paying into SS, I'll just take care of my grandparent the old fashioned way.

Come on in grandma, you're always welcome into my home.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The answer to this should be obvious as the return on your "investment" in SS is 3% or less, if you ever get it at all (for my generation anyway).

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Those young rose colored glasses are fooling you. Who takes care of grandma when Ronnie Ramjet plows into you one night after drinking before you have time to get your huge savings scheme into play??

I would opt out, the refund doesn't really matter to me. I'm 21 years old.

The thing is; I haven't put myself in a penny of debt. Not one. I haven't ever taken a loan, and I won't, ever. I would rather live in a dingy apartment my whole life than live beyond my means. My paycheck is all I get; I don't have health insurance, can't afford it. I do have some savings, but it's not very much. I'm one accident, injury, or car breakdown from being broke. My savings are growing however, and bar a terrible accident, this time next year I'll be much more financially secure.

At least I'm not in debt. The government/banks, unlike literally every single one of my young friends and family, do not have me by the balls.

Currently working my way up through management, hopefully I climb that ladder fast lol. I do believe that we should care for our elderly, but instead of paying into SS, I'll just take care of my grandparent the old fashioned way.

Come on in grandma, you're always welcome into my home.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    The answer to this should be obvious as the return on your "investment" in SS is 3% or less, if you ever get it at all (for my generation anyway).

Of course it was obvious. Even back then when people were wiped out by the grapes of wrath and the market crash and brother can you spare a dime protesters.

The valiant veterans that had to buy their own bullets with bonds and begged Congress and the president to give them their bonus army payout early because times were so hard.

Go back. And read the real historical records before you commit to some dream that has no valid base in reality.

I suggest the book THE GLORY AND THE DREAM by William Manchester iirc.

If you don't actively read and know your history it is so easy to cluck your tongues and wag your fingers but, this mess we are in was a combination of greed and personal stupidity.

The youngsters that say they cannot afford insurance have phones, internet, pizzas and all the other things that could be trimmed to fund their futures instead of social security. But they statistically don't or won't!

Honestly it is a crappy deal if you never use it and there are many better solutions that rarely ever get used unless your name is Kennedy or some other old money names.

Social Security will be the line you reach for when the world crashes in on you through mishap and disaster of self earnings.

No one thinks it will happen to them but odds are they will have a life altering injury before they reach retirement.

I failed as an insurance Rep because I couldn't convince enough people to give up pizza and beers on Fridays to plan for the unseen.

I've also had clients that were able to bury their children thanks to me.

Have I heard squat from either ones?

Yep the idiots that wanted me to back write the long term care policy and disability policy after they got cancer!

So do whatever you want! Say you will opt out if you could but rest assured you will be cursing the world if you can no longer earn a living and you have to try and survive on the six months of preps you have stored instead of insurance.

People think they know so much yet fail to learn why this system is so trashed. Lol

Be well people!

Just remember I told you so and some said they had it all figured out.

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I clicked yes, because i dont pay into social security as a fireman, but a HUGE chunk of my check goes towards various insurances that SS would otherwise had provided.

If i were paying into it though i would have check no. I dont think the issue is with SS being around. I think the issues are with lack of oversight, wasteful spending, government using it for non SS related stuff, and just a flawed system. I dont want to see it go away, i want to see it ran responsibly.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    If a new government mandate gave you the choice to opt in to Social Security and pay till age 70, or opt out and not have to pay, plus be refunded, which would you choose?

There is no possible way your second option is feasible. The .gov cannot afford to pay anything back.

I would opt out if given the chance and wouldn't even want a refund, I would just be happy to be done at the age of 32 and not have to deal with the .gov saving for my retirement.

My philosophy is never to rely on anyone else for my retirement, not an employer, not the .gov. My parents had the same philosophy and while it would suck for them to lose that monthly check they would be ok. Other people weren't as savvy and that sucks for them but at some point people are going to get screwed over might as well rip the band aid off now before our country is even more broke.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Hell, I'd be happy with just a guarantee that they won't confiscate my 401k in the future to fund social security. Think it can't happen? It's already being suggested in congress.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Lmao I want to see how well you have managed what you do get to keep.

Sorry but unless you have all your ducks in a row and are prepared for ever eventuality you are one injury away from being a welfare slob too.

Of course people disabled generally don't get welfare they collect from a forced system and whatever personal insurance they have purchased, planned and sacrificed for.

Many while raising a family and working their elbows off.

That attitude is why I say ignorance is bliss.

What's it to you?

Top Bottom