If you are asked to leave, do you have to pay?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JustinCase

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Greenwood
    Yeah, pay,tip be courteous. If tthe managrment causes a scene, asks you to leave..ask them if they want you to pay first or just leave. Be a good representative of responsible,mature gun owners.

^^^Agreed. Then be sure to post it so we can all take our business elsewhere.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I have a question for the people saying if you leave without paying it's theft.

What exactly are you stealing?

When I go out to eat I am not just paying for food which seems to be the assumption of many on here. I am going out for the atmosphere, for the service, for the 20 bigscreens on the wall. If I am asked to leave and do not get the full use that I wanted out of all of this then I should be under no obligation to pay the restaurant.

I think this would change if I had done something to cause a scene or be rude towards other guests or employees.

As far as tipping I for one always tip. It is not the servers fault if the manager is an a--.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    That is a good point to bring up, about the tip. I don't carry cash around either... I write the tip on the check. I only have debit and credit, it's just more convenient. I take out cash when I need it, ATMs are everywhere. Plus there are checks, I do keep checks with me as well. I suppose I could write a tip to the waitress using a personal check.

That clears up the questions I was about to ask

" Will the employer demand the waitress to give them her tip, as payment for the meal, since the customer did not pay? "

If you write the check only payable to the waitress, that solves the problem.

Heck, you could even pay for the meal, but make it payable to the waitress only, that will be a big slap in the face to the employer.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I don't make a whole lot of money, as a result, we do not eat out very often. When we do, I prefer a nice sit down restaurant with good food and an environment that I can be as I am...relaxed, quiet, and being me.

If they want to make my experience crappy, kind of the whole point of going out to a restaurant, then why pay for something I didn't receive? That like going to walmart and getting a 20 point inspection, but actually only getting a 5 point inspection despite paying for a 20 point inspection.

Good for those who want to be morally and ethically about it and pay despite being asked to leave, they get ripped off. I don't like being ripped off...

And those who said they would tip the waiter/waitress, how do you know she didn't taddle on you? If he or she taddled on you but you tip anyways, aren't you rewarding the behavior?

Think about it...

UNLOCKEM

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    IMO If they were polite and asked me nicely and I ate the food I would pay and tip. Also depends if the server is the one who ratted you out. LOL

reesez

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chevyville
    I will say I used to be a server, and once a man was open carrying on my shift. My GM was out that day and the head server was in charge. She told me to ask the couple to put their firearm in their car, or they would need to leave. I told her no, they were doing nothing wrong and just got their food. She argued with me for a few minutes, and said if ai didnt talk to them then she would. Fine. So I walked over to them and said" I was asked to ask you to put your firearm in your car but Im not going to. Instead I'm going to give you your food free, and you can stay as long as you want. If she calls the cops I will take the heat." Needless to say we chatted while they ate, I didn't charge them, they tipped me 30 bucks, and the GM gave the head server two days off, considering she was very Pro 2A. LMAO. Btw he was carrying a 357 MAG. Very nice piece.

DFM914

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    Forget legalities... What about Morals. Yes I find it sad and agrivating that not everyone sees things the same as I do, but I feel compelled to do what I feel is right whether or not I am required to. You ate the food... pay for it and then leave and dont go back.

Lack of morals is what is wrong with our society these days. Just my :twocents:

Exactly what he said ^^^

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    If you ordered food and ate it, pay. If you ordered but were asked to leave before your order arrived, then nothing to pay for. If you had drinks or anything else, leave enough on the table to cover what you did eat or drink. In any case, I would still tip, tip generously, and I would try to hand the tip to my server personally instead of trusting the management. Keep in mind the employees are not responsible for the anti-2A policy and are just trying to make a living in a tough economy like any of us are.

Be classy, even if the anti-2A policy is anything but classy. Leave a good impression on the minds of the other patrons who watch this go down, and we may win a few supporters in the process.

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    Some good food for thought brought up here. Morality is defined different on an individual basisi, can I morrally financially support someone tring to steal my rights from me? Yes I would tip wait staff it was warranted, Ive worked for tips before.

MooreALX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Hartford City
    My fiancee is a waitress at an Applebee's, and all cash payments and when she makes change comes from her own pocket. Then she settles up with the restaurant at the end of each shift. The one time that someone ran out on their bill, it came out of her pocket... So I will never do that to someone else.

That said, if I was asked to leave, I would demand to take my food with me, and pay my bill.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    1 pay
    2 leave
    3 call the owner, who I know
    4 tell him what happened
    5 owner and I show up when the manager is on duty and we both are OC'ing.
    6 watch the manager suffer

This really happened in 2008

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    1 pay
    2 leave
    3 call the owner, who I know
    4 tell him what happened
    5 owner and I show up when the manager is on duty and we both are OC'ing.
    6 watch the manager suffer

This really happened in 2008

So now my friends, gather around and pay attention: Only dine in those establishments owned by OC totin' acquaintances. :D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    Pay and tip, show them you are a person of good character........even over tip.

This. :yesway:

It never hurts to stay classy, even when being treated poorly, and especially if it is not the server that is giving you grief about your defensive firearm. However, whether I would pay for the meal or not depends on the timing of getting the good news that the establishment has no need for safe, sane customers that have passed State & Federal scrutiny to dine in their restaurant. If I am only a few bites into the meal, it's on them; if I am near halfway or more through it, I finish my meal(!) or doggy bag it if they insist I leave now(!), pay, tip, politely express my displeasure, get names & numbers if I think that follow up action will be productive in rectifying the situation, then leave.

Bailey06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Yes i would pay for my meal. If i ordered food and ate my food.
    If i ordered and then was asked to leave before i received my meal i would not pay i would just leave.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    You have obviously never made your living by waiting tables. -100 to you.

And the wait staff has no choice in working for a crappy company?

By the managment excluding customers they have hurt the wait staff already, they have cut their earnings and future earnings.

They agreed with those decisions and company policies by CHOSING to work there.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If the food hasn't been brought to the table, I'm just going to leave. If the food is there or if I've already eaten and its towards the end of the meal, pay the bill, talk to the manager (if not done so already by this point as they are probably the one telling you to leave), never go back.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    hmmm... bring out the flamethrowers...

I'd tip the waiter, but not pay. After all, the waiter is not the one who is kicking me out, its the management. Therefore, the management will suffer the cost of my meal.

Denial of service = denial of payment.

Top Bottom