If you are asked to leave, do you have to pay?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Im not saying that cutting on the check is the right thing to do, so dont misunderstand me.

But a restauraunts buget has an etry for comped food.. Theres a certain amount the house is expecting to lose. I seriously doubt you will go to jail for skipping on the food, and if they didnt post a sign, I dont think you could get in trouble for having a firearm on, unless you didnt leave. So like everything in life, I guess it just comes down to how it all went down, and how it made you feel..

In an ideal world we could all pause time and find out the best course of action before proceeding, but we have to do our best..

In a perfect world, IMO
    If you ate the food and were asked to leave:
    pay, ne'er to return.
    If you ate the food and were forced to leave:
    Refuse to pay,GTFO ASAP

Tip the wait staff unless they did something wrong to not deserve it.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Assuming that I had finished eating when it became an issue, I would pay for the meal, tip would be contingent on whether or not the server was responsible for creating the issue, very unflattering communication with corporate office to follow.

If I were confronted before finished eating, forget it.

bw8755

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    South Bend
    It would depend on a few things. Am I finished with my meal? If I am not finished with my meal I would not pay for it. In a restaurant you are not just paying for food. You are paying for time at a table, service, and atmosphere. You "just pay for food" at the grocery store. If I am finished with my meal and ready to leave anyway then I yes I would pay.
    To-go boxes would not really make a difference to me. I do not eat left overs very often. I prefer my expensive restaurant food to be warm.
    Tipping would depend. Did the waiter or waitress have anything to do with reporting the firearm? Were they polite and respectful? If they provided good service and were respectful I would tip regardless of whether I paid for my food or not.

I agree. If I'm done, then I'm done and will pay because if I finished eating it, then it must have been acceptable in quality. If the server was good then I'd probably over tip.

However, if I'm not allowed to finish my meal them I'm not paying for it. Their asking me to leave puts the onus of the meal on them.

there is never a "just take it out to your car" option as that is not safe, IMO.

And I doNt do left overs, so carry out is not an option.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Define "confronted", please?

Asked to take your firearm to your vehicle? Asked to leave? Is their a "NO FIREARMS" sign? OC/CC?

At the point that I am directed to leave or to get up from the table and remove my gun from the building. If I have to get up from the table, I'm done.

gunner69

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Anderson
    I guess it would depend on the exact situation like others have said. If they ask you to leave though my understanding is you must leave immediately or you're considered trespassing. If I'm such a danger sitting there armed and eating why would they want me up around the register?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If I'm understanding you right you're saying if they ask you to leave because you are carrying? If thats the case they can go to hell, because if it is that big of a concern to them they need to have domething posted on the front door stating that no one is to carry while inside. If they don't then they really don't have the right to ask you to leave. So, if they are willing to make me leave then my money is leaving with me.

They have the right to ask you. It is their property/business.
    There are no pre-requirements. They do not have to post it.
    In fact, most (not all) no gun signs have no weight of law behind it.

If they ask you to leave.
    And you don't.
    It becomes trespassing.
    Then, you will be arrested.

This is not a "gray area".

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    They have the right to ask you. It is their property/business.
    There are no pre-requirements. They do not have to post it.
    In fact, most (not all) no gun signs have no weight of law behind it.

If they ask you to leave.
    And you don't.
    It becomes trespassing.
    Then, you will be arrested.

This is not a "gray area".

Exactly. Equally true is that I agreed to pay to sit at a table and eat a meal until finished doing so. If I don't receive that, I am not paying for it.

Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg
    A "no gun" sign displayed, I am not going in...

There is not a "no gun" sign posted so you go in and order yourmeal. The server brings out your beverage, Coke, beer, water etc. Now your mealcomes to the table and you just start to eat when the manager comes to you andsays, sir or mam, it has been brought to my attention you have a gun and wewould like for you to leave. At this point I may not pay as I have not finishedmy meal. However, I would not make a deal out or make a scene. If you make abig deal out of having to leave it just gives the no gun folks more reason todislike the gun carrying people. If I had finished my meal, I would pay andtip. Most likely would not ever go back.

As hard as it would be for some, even me, the best thing to do is not be ana$$. Then nobody can say "I was in xyz restaurant where they asked someonewho was carrying a gun to leave. The person made a big scene and disrupted theevening. Well that is how those low life gun people are anyway."

Just my opinion. What do I know? :ingo:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF

Asked to take your firearm to your vehicle? Asked to leave? Is their a "NO FIREARMS" sign? OC/CC?

If they're going to make an issue of it, they should do so before you settle in for the meal.

If they acquiesce and don't ask you to leave, but then later ask you to leave, they should bear the cost of the meal. It's their cost of doing business poorly.

I would assume that a business that places the 'murder zone' signs prominently will NEVER have such issues. It's only the ones with double-secret policies that seem to have these problems.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    If I'm understanding you right you're saying if they ask you to leave because you are carrying? If thats the case they can go to hell, because if it is that big of a concern to them they need to have domething posted on the front door stating that no one is to carry while inside. If they don't then they really don't have the right to ask you to leave. So, if they are willing to make me leave then my money is leaving with me.

Its their property, they have the right to ask you to leave at any time.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    So screw over the server that had nothing to do with management policy.
    Yep. And I'd be sure to tell them why.

Anything that has to do with the firearm no longer being acceptable to remain on my person while I dine.

If it was bad enough to ask me to leave 20 minutes into my meal, it's bad enough to refuse me service before I even get situated. It doesn't suddenly become unacceptable.

EDIT: forgot to answer the OP's question. Depends on when the altercation occurred. Anything before completion of the meal and I will not pay.

adws943

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    If the manager asked me to leave, I would walk right out the door. If a no gun sign was posted I would not have entered the building in the first place. I would avoid a scence at all costs. I am sure another restuarant would entertain my patronage. Gun or no gun.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Assuming that I had finished eating when it became an issue, I would pay for the meal, tip would be contingent on whether or not the server was responsible for creating the issue, very unflattering communication with corporate office to follow.

If I were confronted before finished eating, forget it.
    This.
    Do the right thing always.
    Just be a stand up person. It doesn't change a thing because we're gun people and they're not.
    We chose where to spend our money and time. A polite complaint to Corporate would be in order if applicable.

cmstuard

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    96   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    SW Indiana
    Personally I would be extremely polite to everyone and give a huge tip to the waiter/waitress, as long as they didn't cause the stink, and not pay for the meal. Unless I was completely ready to leave and then I would pay. IMO, I'm not done until I get up from the table and the awkwardness they created should be on them. However, we live is a overly sensitive world today and I think showing your the bigger personal is a small step in the right direction.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    If they tell you to leave before you get the bill, tip and walk away. It's not the server's fault.

Don't ask for a to-go bag. Don't ask for the bill. Leave when you're told to do so. Part of what you're paying for is the seat and table you're using. If they ask you to leave before they give you the bill, you're being asked to pay for services not rendered. They fully understand if they ask you to leave before the bill is delivered, they're going to write it off. No moral/ethical rules being broken by not paying.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    When I was hassled at a restaurant for OC'ing, I wasn't done with my meal yet, and I told the guy that if he asked me to leave, I would comply, but that I wouldn't pay.

He just kept going round and round that he wanted me to go put my gun in my car, and I kept telling him I wasn't going to do that. I kept asking if he wanted me to leave, and he would never actually come out and ask me to leave.

Here's my thread about it, from back in March 2011.
    Hassled by Buffalo Wild Wings for OC at Dupont, Fort Wayne

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Anyone that wouldn't tip a server because of something their restaurant asked you to do is absolutely out of line. These people rely on tips, sometimes that is the only job they are able to get.

It makes me sick to think that just because you are trying to prove a point, you may be taking it out on an innocent bystander? There are enough difficult people out there, why not show the world that gun owners and carriers are classy people. I get it, you don't want your rights infringed upon, but Lord almighty that server (if they had nothing to do with it) cannot help what their company policy is or what their manager does.

Top Bottom