If you are asked to leave, do you have to pay?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    I would counter with I wouldn't ask you to go to jail (nor would any waitress in that situation). All that I was answering was the one scenario that I quoted, where it seemed that there was a willful intent to "stick it to the man".

I was pointing out that there are more factors in play if paying is an option. Now if your server isn't around and the manager is forcing you to leave (this happened to me only once when a clearly inebriated regular decided it was okay to call me the "c" word, obviously nowhere close to an open carry issue on the spectrum of disruption) then obviously the restaurant's number one priority is to get the unruly customer out and the tab would be deleted from the server's final check out.

But if, as I took the scenario I originally quoted, the whole exchange is more civilized and not paying the tab was a way to try to register protest, I have had a hard-ass manager make me cover a bill that was left unpaid by unsatisfied customers. And you are correct, after that happened, I did chose to end my employment, but that was a steep $100+ lesson to learn.

All I meant to say was greet any situation with class, but for goodness sake don't go to jail over it! :twocents:

When asked to leave for any reason one must do so "without delay". Remaining in the private business after being asked to leave is trespassing and punishable by law. Asking one to stick around, walk over the register, wait for bill, pay bill, wait for change, wait for food to put in take out bags (if I am paying for it I want it), leave tip etc is asking them to commit a criminal act.

I know that this would put the waitress in a bad position, for this reason I would suggest that they re-evaluate the restaurant they work for if it's a common occurrence.

Micah

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    www.branham.org
    If I wasn't able to at least eat half of my food Before being asked to leave because I was abiding the law.... I can't think of a single reason why I should pay.

mr ache sky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    I know Florida gun laws mandate you alert the manager to your preference to carry and it is up to their discretion to let you eat at their establishment. The laws are intentionally made for legal carry to be difficult but I would rather be for forgiveness than ask for permission.

AlphaRHINO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Evansville
    Forget legalities... What about Morals. Yes I find it sad and agrivating that not everyone sees things the same as I do, but I feel compelled to do what I feel is right whether or not I am required to. You ate the food... pay for it and then leave and dont go back.

Lack of morals is what is wrong with our society these days. Just my :twocents:

best answere I have seen!

whispers76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Bluffton, IN
    Pay and tip, show them you are a person of good character........even over tip.

Well put. Do you want to leave them with the image of a respectable gun owner, or an irate pouty brat with a gun. Others in the restaurant are watching, if they are on the fence about gun control... which way will your actions push them?

I would be angry at the restaurant, but no one there would know it.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    Resturants seem to be so picky when its comes to carry.... not sure what there deal is.
    They must think it scares customers or somthing bs in my opinion.:dunno:

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    Well put. Do you want to leave them with the image of a respectable gun owner, or an irate pouty brat with a gun. Others in the restaurant are watching, if they are on the fence about gun control... which way will your actions push them?

I would be angry at the restaurant, but no one there would know it.

Now there's a class act. You represent the gun community well. Rep given. :yesway:

kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    Sellersburg
    YES!!!
    no matter if you ate it or not...even if it didnt show up yet
    be the more mature person
    dont give anyone a reason to judge your character
    you argue that you are the law abiding well natured people are not the ones to worry about...then prove it...be an individual of good character no matter how you are treated

Shootsforfun

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I know Florida gun laws mandate you alert the manager to your preference to carry and it is up to their discretion to let you eat at their establishment. The laws are intentionally made for legal carry to be difficult but I would rather be for forgiveness than ask for permission.

I do not believe this to be true....

Top Bottom