• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I try to operate under the premise of what I can reasonably carry to get me and mine out of what fairly realistic danger we might run into.

In my mind, one or two evil doers with high capacity handguns take the revolver, as a primary, out of my carry loop. The same thinking would apply to an "active shooter" with a long gun.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've got to tell you that most folks wouldn't be able to hit anything in a real gunfight, so it doesn't matter how many rounds they have in their handguns. It's all about marksmanship and learning the fundamentals.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I don't have to worry about a jam, I pull the trigger and it fires.

This would be where you lose any traction. Revolvers are mechanical objects that can and do fail. I have a well cared for S&W that needs another trip to the Smith because the trigger locks up every so often. The bottom line is that if it has moving parts it can fail. I don't have a problem with anyone using a revolver as their daily carry if that's what they want to do. Something to consider though, many common "problems" that can cause a SA to not fire can be fixed in seconds, failures in revolvers usually require tools.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    If, in the less than common circumstance, you need to discharge your firearm to defend you or yours, the following things are likely to occur without training AND practice:

You will miss the threat level completely or misread the situation, resulting in a slow response

You will hesitate and not discharge your firearm

In those circumstances, you probably won't need even two cartridges, because you've lost before you began.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Even if the statistics show that a regular person does not fire an entire mag during a self defense shooting, and only needs 3 shots, why should they stop there?

You carry for the unpredictable. Should you not carry a gun because someone's statistics show that it is unlikely that you would ever need to use it?

Should you not have a fire extinguisher because it is unlikely you would ever have a house fire? We have half a dozen, maybe more, including a quick suppressant packet, and a fire blanket. Never had to use any of it. Probably never will. Does that mean we should only have 1 extinguisher?

I can understand carrying a revolver because you like revolvers. Many people prefer revolvers. I use to carry one, and now it is my backup. They are very easy to shoot, and very easy to manipulate, and if one round fails to fire, in most cases you can pull the trigger again. But of course, like mentioned, there are some rare but serious instances where a malfunction can cause a serious problem.
    But carrying a revolver because you don't think you will need more ammo is silly. I know that is not the reason you gave, but that is what it sounds like you are implying. I don't think your friend said anything stupid either. Many people choose 9mm over 45 because of capacity.
    I carry 14 rounds of 45, and two extra 13 round mags. Each loaded with different ammo, Remington HP, Cor Bon +P HP, and plain old Remington FMJ.

If you carry a revolver I hope you also carry speedloaders? I think carrying a semi auto without extra mags is not being very prepared as well. I might start carrying extra ammo for my revolver, but I have not been because it is my backup and I have 52 rounds of 45 ACP. But I suppose it wouldn't hurt to carry extra for my BUG

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Of my carry guns, my J frame is one of my smallest, and of the smaller ones, it is the one that I am most competent with under stress. I would much rather have 5 38 Special +Ps on target than 3-4 .380s. Reloads with the J frame are almost as fast with speed loaders and practice too.

Now, if I know I am going to be in an area that my threat level is elevated, and its not impossible to carry discreetly, I will step up to one of my .45s or my Hi-Power, as the available firepower is more of a comfort to me.

I read a story a while back about a retired Marine that was involved in a shooting in a subway sandwich shop. His carry weapon of choice was an officers model 1911. He survived, but only because of his training, and shear luck. Had one of the attackers ( if memory serves me, there were only 2) had taken one more round to either stop or turn them around, he might not have made it through the attack.

Just because we dont expect to be involved in a gun fight is no reason to go out under armed. By that reasoning we shouldn't even carry, as the likelihood of getting into any altercation that requires a firearm is pretty low, even in a bad neighborhood. Life is a series of choices, and what/how/when to carry is just one of many. We all make the choices that work for our individual circumstances, and hope that we made the right choice.

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    ...I carry a revolver,... I don't have to worry about a jam...
    Keep thinking that. Right up to the time you prove yourself wrong.

...At the most if you are ever involved in a shooting, its gonna be 1 shot, maybe 2 at the most. By that time 20 cop cars are going to be arriving, and its over.

When have the cops showed up that fast? Really. Link, please.

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    No, the OP didn't mention NY's SAFE Act. However, his statement uses the exact same arguments as their law. He is arguing against those who choose to carry more than 6 rounds. I'm not going to count on an "average" if I can easily carry more. If he chooses to, that is fine and I wouldn't tell him not to. I see from your posts that you both carry semi-autos. Do you feel the need to tell others what they should carry? That is what the NY SAFE Act and the OP is all about.
    Not arguing about how many rounds a person is carring.

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    Here are my reasons:

First and foremost my side arm is the one that I personally have the mosst experience with, it is the one that I reasearced for months before making the purcahse. Also it is the first one that I used after learning proper safety and handling. It is the one that can afford to shoot the most at the range, which is usually once a month sometimes more depending on the weather. Finally the semi auto I carry fits my manner of carry making it very easy to carry every day. I am not an expert by any means, I do not have years of expertise behind me, I do not have any U-Tube videos nor do claim to be some one that knows it all. What I am is a father with an open mind who just wants to keep his family safe.
    Very good answer. A lot of the posts are saying I`m complaining about the number of rounds their guns can have in a magazine. This is not the case.

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    Well heck, I've been doing it wrong all these years and so have you. According to your statement that only one or two shots at the most are needed, why do you carry a revolver with 5 or 6 rounds in it? I guess all any of us need is a 2 shot deringer to keep us all safe.:n00b:
    You missed the point entirely. Has nothing to do with round count.

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    Yeah most likely you may only fire 1-2 shots, but what happens if there are 2 or 3 attackers? I prefer at least 10 rds. How can you say their answer is dumb, but you state that their our no gun fights in our society? Carry what you want to carry, but don't attack others who prefer more rounds.
    There answer is not dumb for wanting to carry more rounds. You missed it.

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    Hmm...I don't see from my posts that I carry a semi-auto. I also don't see from my posts that I tell others what they should carry.

I have carried a semi-auto, once. Right now I don't carry.

I know it's hard to gauge a conversation in a forum without being able to hear voice inflection and read body language. I guess I missed the "argument" that occurred with the OP. Sorry about that.:)
    I have no argument with semi-autos. I own a few myself. You missed the point.

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    I can see both sides of this subject. Basically, I don't have a dog in either fight as I have several automatics, revolvers and even a couple derringers. I personally don't see anything wrong with carrying a revolver, semi-auto or a derringer if your are proficient with the firearm and the firearm and ammo is reliable.

When I was young, (1940's -50's) I was told by an experienced well regarded hunter/sportsman that everyone should start hunting with a single shot firearm. He said he could tell what you were trained with if you went hunting with him. His consensus was that people that learned with a single shot were far more likely to learn to approach the game closer, take the time to get an accurate kill shot (and were more accurate) than those who learned with a semi-auto rifle.

He said those with a semi-auto would normally take longer shots with less deliberation - knowing they had additional "chances" to kill the game. Actually made sense then - still does. If you know you only have 2 or 6 shots, you are far more likely to make them count than if you have a dozen or so bullets you can spray.

My normal carry gun is a Colt Double Eagle 45 ACP, 8 round magazine. At times I do carry a derringer. The ONLY reason I don't carry a revolver is that I find them more "bulky" due to the thickness of the cylinder. My 45 is flatter and I normally carry it in an inside the belt Uncle mike holster in the small of my back.

I guess my only argument is that no one has the right to tell anyone what they should carry. Opinions are fine (like something else - everyone has one) but what is good for one person may not be at all right for another.
    I wasn't telling anyone what to carry. You missed the point.

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    This is one of the most stupid answers I think I have ever heard. Most of my buddies ask why I carry a revolver, and I answer, I don't have to worry about a jam, I pull the trigger and it fires. So I have asked them, why they carry a semi-auto, most of the time the answer I get is, "if I`m ever in a gun fight" ill have 12-13-15 rounds, however many theirs holds. Come on, really, how many "gun fights" have you seen in your lifetime? Not counting a shoot out between police and some nut case. At the most if you are ever involved in a shooting, its gonna be 1 shot, maybe 2 at the most. By that time 20 cop cars are going to be arriving, and its over. Some time in the future, when every city is like "Escape From New York", I could see it happening. But right now in our society there are no gun fights. This is not Dodge City in the 1800`s, its not going to happen. Just my :twocents: on a dumb answer. Thank you for your time in reading this. Have a good day. :)[/QUOTE

I also don't think you're factoring in the stress and fatigue of fighting for your life. Going to the range when its 75 degrees and plinking off some rounds into paper is one thing. I've seen some "great" shooters make some pretty big mistakes when a little stress, fatigue, or bad weather get added to the mix.

Ive also met people with 8 and 9 gunshot wounds that have came from one gunfight. The point being if you can comfortably carry more rounds you should.
    Was not harping on someone for the amount of rounds they carry.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have no argument with semi-autos. I own a few myself. You missed the point.

Uh, take it easy there slick. My post was not to you, but someone else who made some comments about me. I fully understood your point in your original post. No worries here.:)

Top Bottom