• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    OP: You are talking about two different things. A "gun fight" means both parties are armed and firing shots. This is not really related to the statistical average of how many shots it takes to stop a random attacker. If you are ever in a gun fight, especially one where you have to take cover, lay down suppressing fire just to be able to move, or there are multiple armed attackers, you would surely prefer higher capacity.

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    OP: You are talking about two different things. A "gun fight" means both parties are armed and firing shots. This is not really related to the statistical average of how many shots it takes to stop a random attacker. If you are ever in a gun fight, especially one where you have to take cover, lay down suppressing fire just to be able to move, or there are multiple armed attackers, you would surely prefer higher capacity.
    That is very true, and "the gun fight" is the whole point of the original post. How many gun fights have you been in lately. How many have you had in your whole lifetime? How many has your family had, your friends had, your neighbors? When I said most times 1 or 2 shots and the problem is over is because either the bad guy is shot and down, or after firing at him at all he running for his life. I was bulking at the "gun fight" mentality. So many people are stocking up for "if I`m ever in a gun fight", not stocking up for protecting oneself, or the family, or a neighbor. Like I said, this isn't 1800 Dodge City, "gun fights" are not going to happen.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I carry a Kahr PM9 with six in the mag, and one in the chamber. I also carry a spare seven round mag. I'm waiting on eight round mags to come back in stock. I do not feel as I'm not carrying enough rounds. Honestly, if I go through 14 rounds and have not stopped the threat/threats, then I'm probably screwed anyways. I don't care what people carry honestly. Carry as many spare mags as you want. I do get sick of the hypothetical situations though. What if this, what if that. I think to many gun owners have predetermined thoughts of how things will go, most of them have never had any training. You train to become proficient and win he fight.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    That is very true, and "the gun fight" is the whole point of the original post. How many gun fights have you been in lately. How many have you had in your whole lifetime? How many has your family had, your friends had, your neighbors? When I said most times 1 or 2 shots and the problem is over is because either the bad guy is shot and down, or after firing at him at all he running for his life. I was bulking at the "gun fight" mentality. So many people are stocking up for "if I`m ever in a gun fight", not stocking up for protecting oneself, or the family, or a neighbor. Like I said, this isn't 1800 Dodge City, "gun fights" are not going to happen.

True. But a the same time, how many of us have ever or will ever need to fire a single shot himself defense? Currently almost none (that could all change overnight if there is an economic collapse or a manor disaster though). So I could use your logic to claim that you don't need a gun at all. The bottom line is that it is about preparedness. Having more rounds is being prepared for more than having fewer. But having a revolver is certainly pretty good preparedness, and as you said, likely to be more than you'll ever need. You shouldn't argue against someone being prepared for worse though.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    True. But a the same time, how many of us have ever or will ever need to fire a single shot himself defense? Currently almost none. So I could use your logic to claim that you don't need a gun at all. The bottom line is that it is about preparedness. Having more rounds is being prepared for more than having fewer. But having a revolver is certainly pretty good preparedness, and as you said, likely to be more than you'll ever need. You shouldn't argue against someone being prepared for worse though.

Do you carry a portable AED?

Your heart is more likely to attack you than a flash mob of mujahadeen requiring suppressive fire.

Are you prepared for that?

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Do you carry a portable AED?

Your heart is more likely to attack you than a flash mob of mujahadeen requiring suppressive fire.

Are you prepared for that?

Nope. But things could change if they make those readily available and affordable. But if I had a known heart condition I would, or else I'd accept it as God's will. I will not accept a violent aggressor as God's will, and I certainly wouldn't accept my family being assaulted as God's will. Where are you going with this?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    True, but you missed the point.

Pulling the trigger and not getting a bang can no longer be "blamed" on the semi-auto platform. Reliable feeding, can also no longer be used as a pro-revolver argument.

The argument for a revolver for a primary carry piece that I would agree to is that if you get a very good deal on one for your first firearm. I see no reason to suggest one over one of the many good choices in the semi-auto market.

Another point is that if something were to happen where you need to reload under a stressful encounter, WILL you have the fine motor skills to reload a wheelgun? Much simpler to press a button and shove a square in a hole, than to worry about opening an action ejecting the rounds and loading via a moon clip...

The argument is moot. Revolvers had their time, and to simply say they are "best" for any given scenario is a very dangerous. I would take a semi-auto over a wheelgun any day of the week...including holidays.

1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    My 1911 has saved my life twice. Both gun fights lasted less than 40 seconds with a round count of 7 in the first and 4 in the second. I'm here to say that both times I was counting how many have I fired. And then during both, thinking where is my mags, on my left hip and God was I happy to have extra. Many, many years ago, but like it happened yesterday.. For me, make it all you can carry and feel good about it, and where are they at on your body. Surprising your thoughts in those few quick seconds..

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    i got rid of my 1911 for an xd.
    i went from 8 rounds to 13.
    do i think that those extra 5 rounds are going to be the thing that will save my life one day? probly not. but i would rather have those five rounds on that day that may never occur than not have those rounds when i need them most.
    ammo is not perfect. what happens if you hit a bad primer. easy you have a revolver. you pull the trigger again. but your down to five shots. semi auto same scenario. has to rack the slide losing precious time. but makes up for that by not really being short on ammo. i believe in carry as much ammo as you are comfortable carrying all day. in my case 1 mag in gun. and thats why i changed to xd.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville

then why do you carry? you say that gun fights dont happen. well they do.
    and mulitple attackers also happen. but if you think that just because the odds are slim. then you dont need a gun at all, cause the odds of you ever needing it are also slim, but you still carry dont you? who cares if the odds of a drawn out fire fight are slim.
    fine, i carry because the zombies may rise up and get me. chances practically 0. you noticed i said practically.
    have it and not need it is always better than need it and not have it.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville

sorry but i gotta say it. you keep saying this isnt 1800 dodge city. true but they carried revolvers back then. if any one wants the wlld west experiance, isnt it you?
    just playin i love revolvers to. just had to break your balls a little.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    True. But a the same time, how many of us have ever or will ever need to fire a single shot himself defense? Currently almost none (that could all change overnight if there is an economic collapse or a manor disaster though). So I could use your logic to claim that you don't need a gun at all. The bottom line is that it is about preparedness. Having more rounds is being prepared for more than having fewer. But having a revolver is certainly pretty good preparedness, and as you said, likely to be more than you'll ever need. You shouldn't argue against someone being prepared for worse though.

i guess i should have read all the post before posting.
    it nice to see we agree.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    You said it is dumb to prepare for a gun fight by choosing a semi-auto and carrying extra ammunition? And that, it is not being prepared to save yourself or your family or your neighbor? How do you come to that conclusion? I think preparing for a gun fight not only is preparing to save yourself but it also is preparing you to save yourself against an armed attacker, or multiple attackers. What is wrong with going above and beyond?

How can you say gunfights don't happen? You need to watch more of those "Wildest videos" shows. I do agree, it is very rare, but so is ever needing to use your gun in self defense period. Nothing wrong with being prepared.

Or are all of us just getting what you meant, wrong? Are you simply just saying that it is a dumb answer to talk about gun fights? And people should say they prefer semi-autos because they have greater capacity, and leave people who carry revolvers alone? If so, I agree. I don't think I would ever have my answer be " In case I get into a gun fight " LOL

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Pulling the trigger and not getting a bang can no longer be "blamed" on the semi-auto platform. Reliable feeding, can also no longer be used as a pro-revolver argument.

The argument for a revolver for a primary carry piece that I would agree to is that if you get a very good deal on one for your first firearm. I see no reason to suggest one over one of the many good choices in the semi-auto market.

Another point is that if something were to happen where you need to reload under a stressful encounter, WILL you have the fine motor skills to reload a wheelgun? Much simpler to press a button and shove a square in a hole, than to worry about opening an action ejecting the rounds and loading via a moon clip...

The argument is moot. Revolvers had their time, and to simply say they are "best" for any given scenario is a very dangerous. I would take a semi-auto over a wheelgun any day of the week...including holidays.

DoubleT, just respectfully discussing an different viewpoint. I am not sure what your age is but I am of the age where revolvers was what you had to carry in both the police side and as a young USAF Security Police what they issued (Model 15). This whole perception that revolvers are harder to reload under stress is not true. If you train the right way it is no more difficult than an auto it's just usually folks that start out on a semi auto don't want to learn (I compare it to a auto transmission person trying to learn a manual)

When the AF transitioned to the M9 a lot of us could not shoot them as well as the revolvers. We got better with practice and now 20 some years later I can shoot both equally. My point is after the learning curve both are just as easy it's all in training and what a lot of people discount is "prior programing"

Go to any weekend IPSC match and you will witness a simple mag exchanged butchered beyond belief. So autos are not really any easier without practice as a revolver. I also teach firearms and tactics as a firearms instructor on the Federal side and have seen just about everything done wrong with any handgun revolver or automatic at one point or another.

It all boils down to the trigger nut aka the nut behind the trigger!!!

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    "This is not Dodge City in the 1800`s"
    I bet if the 1911 had come along in 1878, Wyatt Earp would have carried one as the assistant city marshal of Dodge City. :D

Seriously though. I have not been in a gun fight in the U.S. but I was shot at by a guy with a High Power that shot it empty. That's 13+1. I had my 1911 .45 with 8 rounds but after assessing the situation, I made the decision to not return fire.

On another note, having spent 22 1/2 years in the Army, I saw a few gun fights where both sides were well armed. How many rounds do you want in these situations? 30 more.... In each of your buddy's magazines.

Even in retirement, I carry a Beretta M9. It's loaded with 19 rounds. Do I think I'll ever need that many rounds? Hope like hell I don't. Can I say for 100% certainty that I'll never need that many rounds? Of course not. I carry the Beretta because I am intimately familiar with it. It fits me, I shoot it very well and I am comfortable with it. The 18 round mag doesn't add any significant weight to the pistol versus a 15 round mag.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I don't know why people get angry at what other people decide to carry. It's a free country, full of people that don't carry and some that do. Yet, we all get upset when a non-carrying person gives us a hard time about carrying, then some of us run right out and do it to other gun owners. The fact is, the chance of getting into a car accident is far higher than the chance of getting into a gun fight. But none of us were helmets when driving. If you look at the violent crime rate after taking out the cases of gangs shooting rival gangs, drug dealers shooting and getting shot and other situations that are completely avoidable, the chances of getting into a gun fight are pretty darned small. Why do we carry then?

One reason is that we like guns. Some of us like revolvers, others of us like semi-autos. We carry what we like. We like the pistol that we are good with. Other reasons to carry are that, while auto accidents are more common, they are harder to control once one starts to happen. But violent crime might be stopped if we carry, so we carry. I think the main reason I carry is basic paranoia. Murphy's Law has been out to get me almost my entire life and I just know that the one day I don't carry will be the day I needed to carry.

Seriously though, we are all on the same side of the gun debate. Even half the folks that don't own guns are on our side. They have no issue with what we carry, so why should we give each other grief over carrying too many bullets, antiquated pistols, not enough bullets, tupperware guns, little calibers, big calibers and on and on. The only right answer we should all hold ourselves to is to carry whenever possible.

Top Bottom