• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    I don't know why people get angry at what other people decide to carry. It's a free country, full of people that don't carry and some that do. Yet, we all get upset when a non-carrying person gives us a hard time about carrying, then some of us run right out and do it to other gun owners. The fact is, the chance of getting into a car accident is far higher than the chance of getting into a gun fight. But none of us were helmets when driving. If you look at the violent crime rate after taking out the cases of gangs shooting rival gangs, drug dealers shooting and getting shot and other situations that are completely avoidable, the chances of getting into a gun fight are pretty darned small. Why do we carry then?

One reason is that we like guns. Some of us like revolvers, others of us like semi-autos. We carry what we like. We like the pistol that we are good with. Other reasons to carry are that, while auto accidents are more common, they are harder to control once one starts to happen. But violent crime might be stopped if we carry, so we carry. I think the main reason I carry is basic paranoia. Murphy's Law has been out to get me almost my entire life and I just know that the one day I don't carry will be the day I needed to carry.

Seriously though, we are all on the same side of the gun debate. Even half the folks that don't own guns are on our side. They have no issue with what we carry, so why should we give each other grief over carrying too many bullets, antiquated pistols, not enough bullets, tupperware guns, little calibers, big calibers and on and on. The only right answer we should all hold ourselves to is to carry whenever possible.

very well said sir

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I carry 46 rounds on me at all times. Do I need two spares? probably not, but they're there in case I need them.

No one ever survived a gun fight and said, "Damn, I wish I wouldn't have brought all these bullets!"

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Why one cop carries 145 rounds of ammo on the job

I will just leave this here.

And this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PSE-EBKPls

If you count the pistol fire from the LEO's hand gun, there is quite a few more than 7 rounds that missed their mark.

Edit: Before you respond with "but that was a LEO, that's not what I am talking about", See Dade county riots 1980.

TL;DR version: Business owners were on their roofs needing and used 30rd mags in rifles fending off hordes of rioters/looters with firearms, blunt and sharp weapons and Molotov cocktails.

Or the home invasion earlier this year where the mother emptied her six shooter into a scumbag while hiding in her attic with her children and he lived to commit crime another day.

All hand guns suck, they more than not fail to do the job they are intended to even when they connect. I will take as many potential life savers as I can comfortably carry. No one can predict if you will ever be in a gun fight and if so, how many bad men/women will be involved. We each have make out own decision about what we carry, if you feel comfortable with your choice then that's all that matters.

Last edited:

ThoughtPolice

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    St. Joe County
    I used to carry a SP101 five shot .357, when my grandfather gave me a hard time about carrying that over a glock I would simply say I carry what I am comfortable with. I enjoy shooting it, therefore I shoot it more often, and that causes me to be more proficient with it.

I now carry a Ruger 1911.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    My car gets about 30mpg. It should only take about a gallon for me to make it to work. I won't begin the trip with less than a quarter of a tank, why? In my life I have learned one important thing over and over; :poop: happens.

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    "Man, I didn't really need all that extra ammo in my magazine. Next time I'll leave most of it at home"...said no one who has been a gun fight, ever.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    True, but you missed the point.

Any time you have to tell about 10 people "you missed the point"- it's not them it's you. Your point was not clear.

...if the point was the use of the term "gun fight", if they said the exact, same thing but phrased it like this: "If I'm ever involved in a situation where I have to defend myself or family, I want to make sure I have more than enough rounds available..." Would that be OK with you?

What's the difference? If you are fighting another person and there is one or more guns involved, it's a "gun fight". BTW- 1800s Dodge City didn't have much in the way of face to face "gun fights" either, so lets get over the '50s TV imagery.

Last edited:

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    I choose a Charter Bulldog 44 Spl 5 shot snubby for a personal protection gun. I add two speedloaders for an additional 10 rounds of backup defense. I am 70 years old and my actual possibility of running into a conflict where deadly force would be the solution has dropped considerably from the days when i worked evenings in some difficult neighborhoods. So now I am at home for over 90 % of time and the 44 is a fine pocket gun here at home.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    It really boils down to statistics.

An average is just one statistic. But, as the linked blog indicates, it's just an average, and we all know that, on average, half the people are above average-- and the other half, below.

What you'll find is that as you go up in "round count" you account for a higher percentage of shootings. If half (50%) of all shootings end with less than 3 rounds fired, maybe 80% end with less than 12 rounds fired. Maybe 90% is < 15 rounds.

What you'll probably find is that you can achieve a 90% or 95% confidence with a full size carry gun and a spare mag.

But to get to 99% you'll probably need 50+ rounds.

To get to 99.9% you'll probably need 500 rounds.

To get to 99.99%, you'll need maybe 5000 rounds.

Obviously statistical inferences aren't very valid at the extremes, but you see the point.

The odds of a LAGO ending up in an FBI-Miami-style shootout are slim to none. But it's not impossible.

On the flip side, shot placement and round count are inversely related. The better you are at keeping a cool head and steady hand, the greater the likelihood that you will NOT need all those extra rounds.

This is one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever seen!

Average does not equal mean.
    What is "LAGO"?
    your "cool head and steady hand" Has nothing to do with the number of rounds you may need (or want!)!

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    DoubleT, just respectfully discussing an different viewpoint. I am not sure what your age is but I am of the age where revolvers was what you had to carry in both the police side and as a young USAF Security Police what they issued (Model 15). This whole perception that revolvers are harder to reload under stress is not true. If you train the right way it is no more difficult than an auto it's just usually folks that start out on a semi auto don't want to learn (I compare it to a auto transmission person trying to learn a manual)

When the AF transitioned to the M9 a lot of us could not shoot them as well as the revolvers. We got better with practice and now 20 some years later I can shoot both equally. My point is after the learning curve both are just as easy it's all in training and what a lot of people discount is "prior programing"

Go to any weekend IPSC match and you will witness a simple mag exchanged butchered beyond belief. So autos are not really any easier without practice as a revolver. I also teach firearms and tactics as a firearms instructor on the Federal side and have seen just about everything done wrong with any handgun revolver or automatic at one point or another.

It all boils down to the trigger nut aka the nut behind the trigger!!!

I'm not doubting what you are saying, my step father is retired LEO and swears by the revolvers. Single action is sweet to shoot, double action not so much. I would not want to need to reload and have to load a stripper clip is all I'm saying. In my mind, it's more gross motor skills to drop a mag and shove a new one in and rack the slide, than to open the cylinder push an ejector align a moon clip and close the action.

3 steps with 1 fine movement vs 4 steps with 2 fine movements.

Under duress, I would think the simpler "reload" would be far more beneficial than people make it out to be. Add to the fact that to equal one glock 19 mag, I would need to empty a .357 wheelgun 5.2 times, and that simplicity makes it an easy sell.

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    You totally missed my meaning on that.

You missed the point entirely. Has nothing to do with round count.

There answer is not dumb for wanting to carry more rounds. You missed it.

I have no argument with semi-autos. I own a few myself. You missed the point.

I wasn't telling anyone what to carry. You missed the point.

True, but you missed the point.

Any time you have to tell about 10 people "you missed the point"- it's not them it's you. Your point was not clear.

So, jaybird_123, what is "the point"? Obviously it isn't clear to most of us here.....

pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I agree with what some have said, that semi-autos may be easier to reload for the average person. However, there are some things you can do to help speed up the revolver reload process. For example, I carry a revolver everyday (either a 3" S&W 681pc, or a 3" S&W 625) and both of these revolvers have had their cylinders chamfered and have been cut for moon clips. This greatly increases my reload speed and makes my reload times with my revolvers as fast as with my semi-autos.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    So, jaybird_123, what is "the point"? Obviously it isn't clear to most of us here.....

I think OPs point is he's tired of revolver bashing and being told by some people that it's better to carry higher capacities in such a way as that he feels he's being told that it also adds points to the man card or something, and that OP understands the logical reasons for those higher capacities. OP was just venting that he wants those people to shut up about his revolver and why their semi is sooooo much better for a brawl and leave it alone and JFC.

Papper2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Jaybird-- you can back me up with ya point and pull any time--In a situation with explosions all around and metal flying and the fear is so great yu cant pucker hard enough to keep from --- well you get the pic--- Point and pull takes a no brainer to try to protect yourself.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    How many gun fights have you been in lately. How many have you had in your whole lifetime? How many has your family had, your friends had, your neighbors?

If you're suggesting that a lack of past gunfights ensures no future ones, then I'm confused as to why you carry a gun at all? Since you carry a revolver I have to assume that you believe there is at least some possibility that you could need it.

When I said most times 1 or 2 shots and the problem is over is because either the bad guy is shot and down, or after firing at him at all he running for his life. I was bulking at the "gun fight" mentality.

We all have to train to what we believe is the most realistic threat. I get that. While training to fast-rope on rooftops, breach doors, and make dynamic entries isn't realistic for me as a Regular Guy, I think your "1 or 2 shots and the bad guy runs away" approach is a bit too limited. I think it fails to account for things like multiple attackers, missed shots, gun malfunctions, motivated killers, and stress-induced distortions.

But that's just my opinion on your opinion. I'm sure there are guys that take an even more aggressive approach than I do and that's equally fine.

So many people are stocking up for "if I`m ever in a gun fight", not stocking up for protecting oneself, or the family, or a neighbor. Like I said, this isn't 1800 Dodge City, "gun fights" are not going to happen.

It sounds like your definition of a "gunfight" is more in line with the Hollywood "everyone spends 5 minutes trying to shoot each other" version. I agree that such a thing is unlikely. But I believe there are definitions that fall under "gunfight" that are much more probable to us Regular Guys-- even ones that require more than 5 rounds.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The argument is moot. Revolvers had their time, and to simply say they are "best" for any given scenario is a very dangerous. I would take a semi-auto over a wheelgun any day of the week...including holidays.

I know...Why don't they just ride off into the sunset??? But no...They continue to be used to defend their owners and to provide peace of mind to millions of Americans without shaved heads, tight t shirts and Glocks..When oh when will revolvers ever learn that they are obsolete in this day and age of plastic wonder guns???

Keep letting wheelgunners know how how backward they are...Try to free up some of those Smiths' and Colt's from the ignorant hands that still think they are a viable defense weapon and when you do? Please send them down south to me..I will make sure they have a home and are loved and taken out for walks to help with their achy joints and pains...

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I know...Why don't they just ride off into the sunset??? But no...They continue to be used to defend their owners and to provide peace of mind to millions of Americans without shaved heads, tight t shirts and Glocks..When oh when will revolvers ever learn that they are obsolete in this day and age of plastic wonder guns???

Keep letting wheelgunners know how how backward they are...Try to free up some of those Smiths' and Colt's from the ignorant hands that still think they are a viable defense weapon and when you do? Please send them down south to me..I will make sure they have a home and are loved and taken out for walks to help with their achy joints and pains...

^^THIS^^

I am no James Yeager fan (probably a know a lot just a little to over the top in delivery of the message) but I do agree with one thing he says that pretty much sums it up. "Do not invest your ego into your firearm" It seems the ones that are into autos and blow grief to the revolver folks are doing nothing more that exactly that!

Revolvers are not obsolete. They work fine for what they were designed for. No different that a sports car is different than a truck or jeep.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm sure it was pointed out, but in a gun fight, you are actually being fired upon. You are much more likely to encounter this as a LEO. Most SD shootings are over in a matter of seconds. Not saying that there is no chance of it happening, but rarely do those that carry for SD become engaged in gun fights. Carry as much damn ammo as you need to feel comfortable. Worry about training and mindest more then how much ammo you carry.

Top Bottom