• Status
    Not open for further replies.

HotD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    N/A
    That is certainly a good argument for change in the status quo. However, we live in the world that is, not the world that we would like. The law says that certain felons are barred from possessing firearms. If Emile Humbert has been convicted of a felony that bars him from possessing a firearm, and he possesses said arms, he should be arrested and charged.

BTW, the Constitution doesn't say anything about felons because it was established legal precedence from common law that a convicted felon loses certain rights. This is not something new. Felon disenfranchisement has roots all the way back to Greek and Roman times, and in English common law, which our system is loosely based on.

Suggesting that felons should be able to possess arms because "the founding fathers didn't mention it" is ludicrous, and shows a complete lack of understanding about law and legal procedure.

+1 and to add that the states were trusted enough to handle these matters when COTUS was drafted and ratified.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    A person can serve his appropriate time, and still not be trusted to possess a firearm as well. How would you suggest keeping that person from being released from incarceration, and at the same time, not violating his due process rights?

How is that? Once he is released he paid his dues to society. Correct? Then why is he still being punished?

If society feels that said person will still be a danger, the penalty for their crime should be longer.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah, people make mistakes. I don't hold it against them. My very first post on this thread was wondering why he would admit to breaking the law, driving with a suspended license, and then complain about getting arrested. THAT is the meat here, the rest is just gravy.

I don't think he KNEW he had a suspended license. The way I read it was the BMV suspended his license. They probably informed him, he probably ignored the letters he received.

Also, his record isn't one of "someone who made a mistake" it seems to show a pattern. And given that the arresting officer probably had this information available at the time of arrest, it provides some background as to why the officer was driving harder on the dear OP than someone with a clean record. My issue is that someone with a big list of priors is complaining about police harassment as if they don't understand why. I've watched enough Cops to know that the guy pleading, "I didn't do it, I swear!" really did do it.*

Also, I hear the word "felony" shooting around, but, the record I see look like misdemeanors. :dunno:

I was driving 23 in a 25 zone and doing my best to just avoid the red and blue lights in my rear view.
    Isn't this a tip off for LEO looking for DDs? The one time I was pulled over for suspicions was because I was trying not to get pulled over! The cop was right on my tail and I wouldn't dare go over the speed limit.

This thread is epic!

* Of course, the statistical sample is highly skewed.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Also, I hear the word "felony" shooting around, but, the record I see look like misdemeanors. :dunno:

3 times-driving while suspended
    3 times-expired plates
    2 times-seatbelt
    1 time-ran stop sign
    2 times-marijuana possession
    1 time-possession of paraphernalia
    1 time-felony possession of a controlled substance
    1 time-illegal possession of alcohol
    1 time-public intoxication
    1 time-resisting and fleeing law enforcement
    1 time-dealing marijuana/hash oil
    1 time-possession of over 30 grams of marijuana/hash oil
    1 time-maintaining a common nuisance
    1 time-illegal possession
    1 time-carrying handgun without a license

There is at least one felony listed. I am not sure what all of the other charges would be, not having ever been arrested or involved personally in the system (outside of daughter being a victim).

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I don't think he KNEW he had a suspended license. The way I read it was the BMV suspended his license. They probably informed him, he probably ignored the letters he received.

Also, his record isn't one of "someone who made a mistake" it seems to show a pattern. And given that the arresting officer probably had this information available at the time of arrest, it provides some background as to why the officer was driving harder on the dear OP than someone with a clean record. My issue is that someone with a big list of priors is complaining about police harassment as if they don't understand why. I've watched enough Cops to know that the guy pleading, "I didn't do it, I swear!" really did do it.*

Isn't this a tip off for LEO looking for DDs? The one time I was pulled over for suspicions was because I was trying not to get pulled over! The cop was right on my tail and I wouldn't dare go over the speed limit.

This thread is epic!

* Of course, the statistical sample is highly skewed.
    The charge is suspended with a Prior. That means he has been stopped in the past and cited for driving suspended (first offense is a ticket, after that it's jail). He knew he was not supposed to be driving.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The charge is suspended with a Prior. That means he has been stopped in the past and cited for driving suspended (first offense is a ticket, after that it's jail). He knew he was not supposed to be driving.

Gotcha.

Too bad, OP, you may have been the subject of some jackboot thuggery, but it's hard to have any sympathy given the facts at hand.

Plus, my guess is that the OP doesn't have the best negotiating skills and didn't (or still doesn't) do anything to mitigate or defuse the situation.

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    Well the list of offenses certainly sheds a new light on the dimwit OP. Why on Gods green earth would you get into a vehicle and drive away in front of a police officer if you knew your license was suspended?

I believe what we are all witnessing is a specimen from the shallow end of the gene pool taking a swim. Or would that be a dive?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Putting the persons involved in those sales in a "no bueno" spot.

Well, after reading this thread I now have reason to believe he is "not a proper person" (with respect to firearm ownership) and I won't be selling any firearms to him.

I believe what we are all witnessing is a specimen from the shallow end of the gene pool taking a swim. Or would that be a dive?
    Wow, that's kind of harsh. I'll agree he's got a history of poor choices (incl. starting this thread!), but, he's no Florida Man. But hey, you've got a perfect reputation score with less than 500 post so you must be right.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Well, after reading this thread I now have reason to believe he is "not a proper person" (with respect to firearm ownership) and I won't be selling any firearms to him.

Agreed. The past buyers/sellers would have had no reason to believe otherwise (but I am still glad to not be on that list) and shouldn't be in any legal peril.

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    Wow, that's kind of harsh. I'll agree he's got a history of poor choices (incl. starting this thread!), but, he's no Florida Man.

Florida man or not, he was dumb enough to drive off in front of a LEO on a suspended license and then watch his wife flick a butt out the window. That ain't exactly Mensa material.

Call it harsh if you want to. Sometimes the truth is harsh.

But hey, you've got a perfect reputation score with less than 500 post so you must be right.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Now I understand why some people turn off their rep.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Agreed. The past buyers/sellers would have had no reason to believe otherwise (but I am still glad to not be on that list) and shouldn't be in any legal peril.

While right, that does nothing for the Feds when they come knocking on your door for an interview. In theory, if a crime has been committed, and you had a direct hand in it, albeit unknowingly, you can't exactly say "pound sand and go away." Especially once youve been informed of the crime, and they state that they don't believe you've committed a criminal act.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Since he was suspended, he also was probably not insured right?

he prolly had insurance. insurance companies dont regularly check to make sure your license is valid once they initially insure you. that said, you can bet your sweet bippy that they'd hang you out to dry if you had an event while you were driving and werent supposed to be and filed a claim.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom