• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    Squib is a load with just a primer but no powder in it. The primer has enough energy to push the bullet into the barrel but not out :(

Depending on the load, you can also get a squib with a load of powder if it fails to get enough pressure to properly ignite. The only squibs I've had were in 41Mag with stiff loads of H110 on a cold day.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Wow, exceptional work Allen. Glad you came home with all your fingers and it just goes to show the robustness of the 1911.

I had a squib in a 44 mag revolver but fortunately I checked the barrel after the squib. I can see how easily a person could rack the slide and fire again with a semi. A good lesson learned and thanks for conveying it to all us. It may save one of us a big headache.

Looking forward to seeing your Range Officer when you get it finished!

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I was at an indoor range and a guy brought back a revolver that he rented from the range with a bullet stuck in barrel. They knocked it out and sent him on his way back out to the range. In just a couple minutes he was back again with another squib bullet stuck. They decided to give him a different brand box of ammo.

It was .38 special Blazer Brass ammo purchased from them. Even with the rule that they have of all rented guns must shoot ammo purchased by them has an opportunity for a mishap.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I think shes gonna be ok. new barrel fits fine and frame came back in shape with a little persuasion. everything functions as it should

Is it just me, or does it look like the frame didn't go back to normal? It looks like the gap widens a bit then comes back together right where you heated and reformed it. I might just be going crazy, also.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Is it just me, or does it look like the frame didn't go back to normal? It looks like the gap widens a bit then comes back together right where you heated and reformed it. I might just be going crazy, also.

That area is out past the rails. It does look a bit off but I am not sure either. Considering how it was damaged it ain't that bad...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Squib is a load with just a primer but no powder in it. The primer has enough energy to push the bullet into the barrel but not out :(

My squib had powder, but not enough to push the bullet out. It looked very similar to yours, an inch or so from the end of the barrel?

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon

It's a little gappy. I will be happy if she shoots well again. If it shoots well it will probably just be a "loaner" when friends go with me to the range.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Back in Black

I didn't really have the patience to wait around so here is the gun ready for a test fire.
    I am very curious how it will do. Seems to lock up tight.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Although it did not come out perfect still better than throwing it away. It's good to have a gun I don't mind practicing machine work on anyway

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Although it did not come out perfect still better than throwing it away. It's good to have a gun I don't mind practicing machine work on anyway

It looks like an EDC to me if it shoots well enough.
    Nice job resurrecting it.
    I like the new color scheme. I am still up in the air with the one you and I discussed. It is done except welding up the holes in the dust cover.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Better then trowing it away.
    If snow and work load ever lighten up I may be willing to do the welding for you if you don't get it done. I am just extremely busy right now

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    It looks like an EDC to me if it shoots well enough.
    Nice job resurrecting it.
    I like the new color scheme. I am still up in the air with the one you and I discussed. It is done except welding up the holes in the dust cover.

You could always use my tig if you feel comfortable doing it

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You could always use my tig if you feel comfortable doing it

I may consider that when it gets a bit warmer.
    My son shot the gun and loves it. He is EDC with it. Says it is great as he is not scared of scratching it.

I do like the grip/color combo you did on that one.

Top Bottom