• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Glad to see you were not hurt. A good friend of mine had that happen to a Les Baer and spent 1500.00 in repairs along with a bunch of small scars to his face.

Yea that would have sucked.
    I had no idea how severe it was until I got it home and apart

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I'm thinking when I repaint it black and blue would be a good color choice

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    As others have said, glad you were not hurt. Luckily for you that is just another project to get it up and running again. For most of us that would have been the death of a gun.

I'll be interested to see some photos when you put it back together again, as I'm sure it will end up better than it started.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    Glad you're OK.

I had a squib while shooting an old alloy-frame Federal Ordnance 1911. Bulged the barrel like yours, blew the dust cover off right in front of the trigger guard. I later JB Welded the dust cover back on, put a Ciener .22 conversion on top, and it now works great as a dedicated .22 trainer. I'll have to bring it over and show you sometime...

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Everyone has had a "Dufus award" moment before. Just be thankful you nor anyone else was hurt, then laugh about it whilst counting your finger to make sure they're still there ;)

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Glad you're OK.

I had a squib while shooting an old alloy-frame Federal Ordnance 1911. Bulged the barrel like yours, blew the dust cover off right in front of the trigger guard. I later JB Welded the dust cover back on, put a Ciener .22 conversion on top, and it now works great as a dedicated .22 trainer. I'll have to bring it over and show you sometime...

Nice

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Eh it'll buff out ;)

1257147060_1.jpg

Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    Had a similar incident shooting reloads and using electronic hearing protection once. My perception was just a click because the the snap from the primer and the telltale BLOOP sound went unnoticed (by me) due to the hearing protection. Fortunately, the group I was shooting with all yelled stop while I was Jacking another round into the chamber (it was an IDPA) match. They saved me from destroying my gun, or worse. Glad you are OK ALLEN.
    Moral of the story is; any time I have what seems to be a missfire, I stop and check things out carefully.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom