• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I may consider that when it gets a bit warmer.
    My son shot the gun and loves it. He is EDC with it. Says it is great as he is not scared of scratching it.

I do like the grip/color combo you did on that one.

Before or after?
    I was thinking of going black and blue but it wouldn't go with the grips

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    I hate to ask, but due to my lack of knowledge in many areas of firearms... What is a squib load?

Others have pointed out what it is, but I think you should know a couple other things. First, when it happens there's a distinctive "bloop" noise, like something was dropped down a pipe (which in a way, it was). The primer has just enough power to push the bullet out of its casing and part way down the barrel, causing the noise. Second, the primer alone won't cycle most semi-autos. If your firearm does not cycle and you the empty brass is still sitting in the chamber you should stop and make sure the barrel is clear. Third, fixing it is generally pretty easy. You just need to field strip the firearm and get a rod to push the bullet out. It's a good idea to use a soft metal like brass, or something non-metallic like a wooden dowel so that you don't scratch the inside of the barrel.

Most importantly you have to be aware of what's going on. Not trying to call out AllenM here, he obviously knows this already, but when you're shooting you have to know how the firearm behaves. If you get a "click" or hear that bloop sound, if there is brass sitting in the chamber, if you didn't get the amount of kick you expected, it's time to stop and make sure everything is safe. There have been some nasty injuries caused by less sturdy firearms and squib rounds.

I speak from personal experience by the way. I had a few squib rounds in my early reloading attempts. I was really lucky that the first time it happened was at the end of a magazine, because I tried to just rack the slide and keep going. The pause to change magazines gave me time to think and discover what had happened. Not sure my Kimber would have held up as well as the RO did!

Top Bottom