• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I had a squib similar to that (close to the end of the barrel) at FNS one evening. The RO did not hear it and I was lucky to feel the similar "something is wrong," and stopped. We pounded it out and continued on.

I've seen a double charges twice. Both times the cases let go spraying the shooters hands with burning powder and blew the mags out. One shooter ended up bleeding from above and below the safety glasses, both continued on with different guns. Both Les Baer 1911's IIRC were locked up and reported back to not need repair other than pounding open, cleaning and re-lubing.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I believe that this is 100% a warranty issue. Springfield Should stand behind it.

All joking aside Allen I'm glad it turned out ok.

On a side note I was going to buy that gun off churchmouse but he already sold it so I bought a new one from ZX Guns.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I believe that this is 100% a warranty issue. Springfield Should stand behind it.

All joking aside Allen I'm glad it turned out ok.

On a side note I was going to buy that gun off churchmouse but he already sold it so I bought a new one from ZX Guns.

The gun you and I discussed was a different RO.
    Allen got that one from me last year and I think it was the one in the pic below if memory serves. He put it back to original and did the slick ceracoat job on it.

I have had a few since then.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    As many others have said, we're all happy that you are OK.

Thanks for sharing the event and the pictures.

With your machine repair skills, the refurbished pistol will look better than before!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I have a question. I've seen a squib in a revolver. And I know there is a danger of going to the next bullet with one in the barrel.
    But, does a semi-auto have enough energy in the primer to cycle the action and load the next round???

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Churchmouse buys and sells a Range Officer every month.lol They are a awesome 1911 for the money.

Allen got that one from me last year and I think it was the one in the pic below if memory serves. He put it back to original and did the slick ceracoat job on it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have a question. I've seen a squib in a revolver. And I know there is a danger of going to the next bullet with one in the barrel.
    But, does a semi-auto have enough energy in the primer to cycle the action and load the next round???

First, glad to hear nobody was hurt Allen, and sorry about the gun!

As for a revolver squib, been there, done that. I have an old Colt Police Positive, and purposely loaded up some "light" .38 special rounds just for it. Well, I never should have second guessed the "robustness" of that little revolver. I apparently loaded them too light and wound up with not one, but TWO bullets stuck in the barrel. Amazingly, there was no bulging or damage to the gun (or me), but it was a pretty embarrassing trip to my gunsmith... :ugh:

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    My welds on the dust cover didn't crack so I felt good about that :)

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Then I must be losing my mind.
    If the first shot was a squib.
    And the squib placed a bullet in the barrel.
    And there was no bullet loaded after.
    Then what caused the bulging?

There was a bullet loaded after .... :(

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Well, at least ya know a guy who can put a slick new finish on that 1911 when you get it all sorted out. Just looking at the damage, I would look closely at the slide top lever too. Looks like a lot of pressure might have been put on the pin, could be bent, or otherwise compromised...

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Definitely scary!!! Should make us all even more cautious and inquiring when something does not sound, look, or feel right. No person or thing can always be perfect. And gremlins don't need much opening to bite us in the buttinski. So thank goodness nobody was injured. Good luck with the rebuild!!

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    glad you still have all your digits.....had to beat a Para apart that suffered the same fate last year....you can weld and turn that barrel down!!!

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    186   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County

The squib loads I have encountered did not eject the brass but anytime I am in doubt at all I stop & check the barrel.

Top Bottom