I am *begging* you, stop carrying on an empty chamber.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That is what we need a video of. I'd pay to see that.

Start a collection to send him on a trip to see ESRICE and the gang at Mindset Labs for some force on force training! That will probably change his tune.

And by all means accompany him with video so we can see them "kicking his a**" while he tries to employ his choice of carry technique. :):

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 13, 2013
    South Side Indy
    CARRYING ON AN EMPTY CHAMBER WILL GET YOU KILLED.

Please, please, please stop doing this. Is it honestly better to carry no gun than carry a gun that's not ready to fight when you pull it. It will get you killed. IT WILL GET YOU KILLED. The bad guys will prevail because of the head start you gave them in the gun fight. They already have the advantage of knowing when the gun fight is going to start.

I'm tired of good guys losing gun fights. So I beg you, please, please, pretty please stop effing hamstringing yourself. If you absolutely can't bring yourself to do carry with a round chambered, carry a revolver with the chamber under the hammer empty.

+1!!

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    "One of the most dangerous aspects of this practice is you wind up playing the “Is my gun loaded or not?” game. It also leads to “It’s alright, the chamber is empty,”
    this^^ ^^^
    how many times has that been said.."it's not loaded"
    thank you glueman

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    We've both told him several times. Every time, he claims it's ok because he never carries with one in the chamber, and thinks he needs no training because he was in the military. He also gets told about it at the local gun shop, where he thinks he needs to show everyone his gun. He spends a lot of time there, but drives an hour away to save $20 on a gun. He is one of the know-it-all types about everything and we don't talk to him now. The last time, we weren't very polite to him.

From my experience, I've never met anyone who's 'been trained by the military' who I feel safe to shoot around! They all tend to have their finger on the trigger (all the time) and are never careful where they are pointing their weapon...be at themselves, another person, etc. When someone tells me they've had 'military training'...that, to me, is really a warning to 'watch-out' and 'stay-away-from' that person! I've even met a few LEO's who have the same approach to handling their issued weapons.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    "One of the most dangerous aspects of this practice is you wind up playing the “Is my gun loaded or not?” game. It also leads to “It’s alright, the chamber is empty,” this ^^^^^ how many times has that been said..."it's not loaded" thank you glueman

Rule #whatever...Any gun you haven't personal unloaded at that minute is considered to be 'loaded' period!

Anyone who doesn't understand that should not be handling a gun, period!

Anyone who has an issue with these statements...probably should not be allowed to handle a gun either...even with the appropriate supervision!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Not only will carrying with an empty chamber get you killed in a gun fight, it is also plain dangerous. It creates the mindset that the gun is somehow safe and can be handled. I watched a good friend, who carries with an empty chamber no matter how much I advise against it, put a hole through his dining room wall because he thought his empty chambered gun was safe. He started to show his 25 year old daughter what is meant by double action and picked up his carry gun, pulled the slide back to check the chamber and proceeded to chamber a round in a gun he now thought was safe. Unfortunately, he forgot to drop the mag. Fortunately, he was pointing the gun away from people when he pulled the trigger. In his mind, he thought that the gun was safe and was going through the motions of checking the chamber without doing a real check. Carrying without a round chambered made him lax in his safety because he thought the gun was already safe. Had he carried with a round chambered, he would have treated the gun with more respect and would have started with the idea that the gun was not safe.

Carrying with an empty chamber is a failure of the 4 rules. It indicates the person carrying has two mindsets regarding the gun, loaded and unloaded. There can only be one mindset with a gun. It's loaded. It's always loaded. There is no such thing as an unloaded handgun. Once you get your mind around that idea, there is no reason at all to carry on an empty chamber. There is no peace to be gained by carrying a weapon not ready for use. In fact, you become bothered by the empty chamber more than you ever did with one loaded. That empty chamber just feels wrong, the gun is in a non-standard situation and that should make you uncomfortable.

Carrying with an empty chamber is a red flag that indicates the person carrying does not understand the 4 rules. Beware of that person.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Carrying with an empty chamber is a failure of the 4 rules. It indicates the person carrying has two mindsets regarding the gun, loaded and unloaded. There can only be one mindset with a gun. It's loaded. It's always loaded..
    Can't rep you again so soon.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Most of the people (in my experience at least) who cite Israeli practices as their reason for carrying an unloaded gun (with a charged magazine inserted) not only have never trained with any Israelis, but they don't even practice drawing and loading the chamber as they present the weapon. I'm left with the conclusion that they must believe that they will be able to leisurely load the chamber when the need arises, much like they do when bustin' caps at the range.

Good luck! Hope you have time! And both hands available.

Also, we don't even know if Israelis even do it that way anymore. I can see the conscripts being taught that way, but I have trouble imagining that in 2013 that their super solider types or Mossad agents carry unloaded guns.

Old_grunt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Bloomington
    From my experience, I've never met anyone who's 'been trained by the military' who I feel safe to shoot around! They all tend to have their finger on the trigger (all the time) and are never careful where they are pointing their weapon...be at themselves, another person, etc. When someone tells me they've had 'military training'...that, to me, is really a warning to 'watch-out' and 'stay-away-from' that person! I've even met a few LEO's who have the same approach to handling their issued weapons.

I'd say that the 'people who've been trained by the military' you've had the misfortune to encounter are likely wannabees that have never served in any branch of the armed forces, much less a combat unit. :rolleyes:

EastIndyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Not only will carrying with an empty chamber get you killed in a gun fight, it is also plain dangerous. It creates the mindset that the gun is somehow safe and can be handled. I watched a good friend, who carries with an empty chamber no matter how much I advise against it, put a hole through his dining room wall because he thought his empty chambered gun was safe. He started to show his 25 year old daughter what is meant by double action and picked up his carry gun, pulled the slide back to check the chamber and proceeded to chamber a round in a gun he now thought was safe. Unfortunately, he forgot to drop the mag. Fortunately, he was pointing the gun away from people when he pulled the trigger. In his mind, he thought that the gun was safe and was going through the motions of checking the chamber without doing a real check. Carrying without a round chambered made him lax in his safety because he thought the gun was already safe. Had he carried with a round chambered, he would have treated the gun with more respect and would have started with the idea that the gun was not safe.

Carrying with an empty chamber is a failure of the 4 rules. It indicates the person carrying has two mindsets regarding the gun, loaded and unloaded. There can only be one mindset with a gun. It's loaded. It's always loaded. There is no such thing as an unloaded handgun. Once you get your mind around that idea, there is no reason at all to carry on an empty chamber. There is no peace to be gained by carrying a weapon not ready for use. In fact, you become bothered by the empty chamber more than you ever did with one loaded. That empty chamber just feels wrong, the gun is in a non-standard situation and that should make you uncomfortable.

Carrying with an empty chamber is a red flag that indicates the person carrying does not understand the 4 rules. Beware of that person.

Starts the slow clap...

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I'd say that the 'people who've been trained by the military' you've had the misfortune to encounter are likely wannabees that have never served in any branch of the armed forces, much less a combat unit. :rolleyes:

People don't realize that there are more non-combat personnel in the military. My first red flag is if the person brings up his or her "military experience" without being asked or out of context. Than again what is the difference between a fairy tale and a war story? A war story starts out with "There I was ..." :):

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    People don't realize that there are more non-combat personnel in the military. My first red flag is if the person brings up his or her "military experience" without being asked or out of context. Than again what is the difference between a fairy tale and a war story? A war story starts out with "There I was ..." :):
    ^^this

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    Try racking the slide with a seperated shoulder. Can't push or pull with the offside hand. Thank goodness I already have one in the chamber in both my carry guns - and thank goodness it's my week-side shoulder. Although I haven't skipped training with that side, it's just not as quick and natural.

Top Bottom