I am *begging* you, stop carrying on an empty chamber.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    beating-a-dead-horse.jpg

:horse:

T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Well….Manatee... It's certainly your right to carry as you wish. I can tell you I am one of those that has carried "antiquated" equipment. I carry a wheel gun usually and in the woods I packed a nicely engraved Colt SAA. One thing though, I am highly practiced with anything on my hip that I have chosen to defend myself with or use to hunt dinner. I have been in a fight and I can tell you there was no time to chamber a round. I can tell you of a young man that didn't go home to his wife because there wasn't time to chamber a round and the thugs won one that night. You feel that you're that unsafe and unpracticed to be trusted with a round in the chamber so be it. I would not want to go first through the door with you in your world. You say how likely will you be in a gunfight as a civilian…. do you want to roll the dice on that in this county. The gun is clearly not a cross against the vampires of thuggery. It is a tool in a process. Situational awareness…. know when to run or not….. tactical concerns of backdrop… lethal vs non lethal options all figure in. Just remember those that do such things professionally typically get caught inside the box in less than 7 yards and it's over in 3 seconds. I am a firm believer you carry a gun in public you have a duty to be competent and well trained on how and when to use it. You do what y'all want.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I never called anyone an idiot, nor is begging and educating the same thing as mandating. That's your cranky spin of what I said, none of what I actually said. Like I told the other fellow, feel free to ignore me.
    It's not your fault he's cranky BBI. He has a bad back.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Well….Manatee... It's certainly your right to carry as you wish. I can tell you I am one of those that has carried "antiquated" equipment. I carry a wheel gun usually and in the woods I packed a nicely engraved Colt SAA. One thing though, I am highly practiced with anything on my hip that I have chosen to defend myself with or use to hunt dinner. I have been in a fight and I can tell you there was no time to chamber a round. I can tell you of a young man that didn't go home to his wife because there wasn't time to chamber a round and the thugs won one that night. You feel that you're that unsafe and unpracticed to be trusted with a round in the chamber so be it. I would not want to go first through the door with you in your world. You say how likely will you be in a gunfight as a civilian…. do you want to roll the dice on that in this county. The gun is clearly not a cross against the vampires of thuggery. It is a tool in a process. Situational awareness…. know when to run or not….. tactical concerns of backdrop… lethal vs non lethal options all figure in. Just remember those that do such things professionally typically get caught inside the box in less than 7 yards and it's over in 3 seconds. I am a firm believer you carry a gun in public you have a duty to be competent and well trained on how and when to use it. You do what y'all want.

You must have missed my earlier post. I do carry with a round in the chamber of my pistol. All of the time. I don't carry a rifled chambered.

Since it's only your eighth post, it sometimes serves one well to start at the beginning.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Ok back on subject:
    One area that we want to consider with the "I don't keep one in the chamber" approach.
    One of the most dangerous aspects of this practice is you wind up playing the “Is my gun loaded or not?” game. It also leads to “It’s alright, the chamber is empty,” type of thinking. Loaded guns are safe guns because people treat them with respect. I once had a pistol fired into the ground 2 feet from me because the shooter thought the chamber was empty, so it would be safe to dry-fire.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I posted recently (I think it may have been this thread) that when I first got my first handgun for EDC, I knew very little about what I was doing. I knew that I had read some advice to carry unloaded, safety on, for a couple of weeks to a month around your house, in the holster, until you're assured that the little lever on the slide was not going to unset itself, moving from safe to fire. That's what I did. Then I carried outside the house, too... Full mag, empty chamber. Once I was convinced I wasn't going to perforate my body, I jacked a round into the chamber and put another back in the mag, and have carried like that ever since.

My point? I was not at a financial point where I could afford good training, and wouldn't have known how to find it even if I did. Further, some things you have to learn for yourself (like the old joke about peeing on the electric fence, but far less uncomfortable.) I might have believed a trainer that it was safe for me to carry that way. I believe my own experience far more solidly.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

A noob who is uncomfortable carrying a self loader with a round in the pipe has no business carrying a self loader. A semi pistol with an empty chamber is nothing but a short, unwieldy club.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    My point? I was not at a financial point where I could afford good training, and wouldn't have known how to find it even if I did. Further, some things you have to learn for yourself (like the old joke about peeing on the electric fence, but far less uncomfortable.) I might have believed a trainer that it was safe for me to carry that way. I believe my own experience far more solidly.

Blessings,
    Bill

The experience of using the gun for a couple days in a pistol class that includes significant gun handling, holster work, and confidence-building drills can compress that learning curve significantly. You get the benefit of the instructor's assurance and oversight and a signficant amount of more useful, first-hand experience than walking around the living room with a gun in the holster. You also have a person watching and pointing out the oversights in gun handling that may otherwise go unnoticed. Two days of training > a month of trial and error.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    He does. Years of careless boaters have left him scarred with little propeller marks.

Ok, this is as off topic as it can get, but I've got a friend who was ran over by a boat. I met him while I was contracting. The basic story is Rex was water skiing, fell down, and got ran over. The propeller did a number on him, wrecked his shoulder and arm, they had to split his bicep to build him a new tricep. The scars were about a decade old when I met him, but they still looked fresh. Guys would come up to him at the gym on base all the time and ask what happened. He'd say he got ran over by a boat, they'd get ticked and say if you don't want to tell me, don't, but don't lie to me. The scars looked so fresh, and the whole "in the desert" thing sorta made the boat story seem implausible. He started telling people "IED" and they'd nod and move on. The lie was just easier.

Now that story is odd enough, but here's another tidbit. Rex's brother ALSO got ran over by a boat, but a much bigger one and it cut one of his legs off.

Two brothers, both ran over by boats in separate incidents years apart. WTF are the odds?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Ok, this is as off topic as it can get, but I've got a friend who was ran over by a boat. I met him while I was contracting. The basic story is Rex was water skiing, fell down, and got ran over. The propeller did a number on him, wrecked his shoulder and arm, they had to split his bicep to build him a new tricep. The scars were about a decade old when I met him, but they still looked fresh. Guys would come up to him at the gym on base all the time and ask what happened. He'd say he got ran over by a boat, they'd get ticked and say if you don't want to tell me, don't, but don't lie to me. The scars looked so fresh, and the whole "in the desert" thing sorta made the boat story seem implausible. He started telling people "IED" and they'd nod and move on. The lie was just easier.

Now that story is odd enough, but here's another tidbit. Rex's brother ALSO got ran over by a boat, but a much bigger one and it cut one of his legs off.

Two brothers, both ran over by boats in separate incidents years apart. WTF are the odds?

Those boys ought to stay out of the water, where they'll be safe. Those are slim odds.

digitalmonster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    yeah and the whole perfect range grip does not happen in real life, many times it is one handed from the hip. I suppose I am saying how do you expect to bring the gun around and cock it and shoot it in a fast action situation?

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Ok back on subject:
    One area that we want to consider with the "I don't keep one in the chamber" approach.
    One of the most dangerous aspects of this practice is you wind up playing the “Is my gun loaded or not?” game. It also leads to “It’s alright, the chamber is empty,” type of thinking. Loaded guns are safe guns because people treat them with respect. I once had a pistol fired into the ground 2 feet from me because the shooter thought the chamber was empty, so it would be safe to dry-fire.

This makes a lot of sense to me.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Those boys ought to stay out of the water, where they'll be safe. Those are slim odds.

My boating experience didn't end well. When I lived in Alabama the lake would be full of alcohol filled boat drivers. The lake was so choppy that it wasn't even fun to be on unless you were full of alcohol which I wasn't. A girl was at the back of a boat going pee pee and someone started the boat and put it in gear to leave her as a joke. The prop made contact with her and pulled her down as the prop chewed all the way up her body. The girl was killed :(

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    My boating experience didn't end well. When I lived in Alabama the lake would be full of alcohol filled boat drivers. The lake was so choppy that it wasn't even fun to be on unless you were full of alcohol which I wasn't. A girl was at the back of a boat going pee pee and someone started the boat and put it in gear to leave her as a joke. The prop made contact with her and pulled her down as the prop chewed all the way up her body. The girl was killed :(

That's terrible.

Top Bottom