I am *begging* you, stop carrying on an empty chamber.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This isn't quantum mechanics and the "state" of the firearm is not both loaded and unloaded.

The RESULT will tell you which state it was in. Cooper was a great guy in many respects. But he wasn't Schroedinger.

So does introducing nonsense really make you feel like you've contributed?

It's loaded until it's not.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I believe rule 1 should read "Always treat all guns as if they are loaded" rather than "All guns are always loaded". Clearly they are not always loaded, but we have one set of handling methods regardless of condition.

Last edited:

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    I believe rule 4 should read "Always treat all guns as if they are loaded" rather than "All guns are always loaded". Clearly they are not always loaded, but we have one set of handling methods regardless of condition.
    Agreed, however I believe that is/was the intent all along.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    I believe rule 1 should read "Always treat all guns as if they are loaded" rather than "All guns are always loaded". Clearly they are not always loaded, but we have one set of handling methods regardless of condition.

I'm a pretty simple guy. I like simple thoughts:

I see a handgun on a table. I think " OK, I have to treat that gun as if it's loaded, even though it might not be".

Versus:

I see a handgun on a table. I think "That gun is loaded".

Seems pretty simple to me.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This isn't quantum mechanics and the "state" of the firearm is not both loaded and unloaded.

The RESULT will tell you which state it was in. Cooper was a great guy in many respects. But he wasn't Schroedinger.

What are Manatee's four rules of gun safety?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I have a feeling rule 1 and 3 will contradict 2, and 4 will be completely unrelaated to firearms.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    The "best" reason I've heard for carrying with an empty chamber is that the individual has a gun with no safety and use the empty chamber as their safety. While that may come down to a choice of having the wrong gun, what's the thought on carrying a chambered round with no safety?

Excellent question, and I believe wholeheartedly that the best answer is this: If you are not both experienced enough AND comfortable carrying a loaded gun without a safety, then you should not carry such gun at all, and should instead buy a gun with a safety or decocker. I am experienced enough, but prefer a safety, and always will.

I get upset by all the Glock fanboys and salesmen who run around telling new gun owners that they don't need a manual safety, and that the trigger IS the safety--as if the trigger is biometric or something. I believe this is one reason so many people today carry without one in the chamber, and that is a shame!

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    :laugh: "Schroedinger's Gat"

"Until you pull the trigger, it can be thought of as both loaded and unloaded"

For full effect, one should carry a 6 shot revolver with 3 empty chambers. The cylinder should be spun blindly Russian Roulette style and immediately holstered until needed.

^Priceless LOL. I thought this post would go nowhere, but it has gone beyond philosophical hehe.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Excellent question, and I believe wholeheartedly that the best answer is this: If you are not both experienced enough AND comfortable carrying a loaded gun without a safety, then you should not carry such gun at all, and should instead buy a gun with a safety or decocker. I am experienced enough, but prefer a safety, and always will.

I get upset by all the Glock fanboys and salesmen who run around telling new gun owners that they don't need a manual safety, and that the trigger IS the safety--as if the trigger is biometric or something. I believe this is one reason so many people today carry without one in the chamber, and that is a shame!

You don't "NEED" a manual safety, thats been proven. You want one. (I don't personally recommend them, but am not against them and see a use for then in some applications) This is especially true if you understand your weapon platform, practice the 4 safety rules, and have a god holster.

The trigger "IS" absolutely part of the the safety on Glocks, M&P's, XD's, and so on.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    You don't "NEED" a manual safety, thats been proven. You want one. (I don't personally recommend them, but am not against them and see a use for then in some applications) This is especially true if you understand your weapon platform, practice the 4 safety rules, and have a god holster.

The trigger "IS" absolutely part of the the safety on Glocks, M&P's, XD's, and so on.

For what applications?

The only reason I can see someone needing a manual safety is for pocket carry. But pocket carrying without a holster is just stupid and dumb and shouldn't ever be done.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

How could one go wrong with one of those?

grin/

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom