I am *begging* you, stop carrying on an empty chamber.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    CARRYING ON AN EMPTY CHAMBER WILL GET YOU KILLED.
    Please, please, please stop doing this. Is it honestly better to carry no gun than carry a gun that's not ready to fight when you pull it. It will get you killed. IT WILL GET YOU KILLED. The bad guys will prevail because of the head start you gave them in the gun fight. They already have the advantage of knowing when the gun fight is going to start.
    I'm tired of good guys losing gun fights. So I beg you, please, please, pretty please stop effing hamstringing yourself. If you absolutely can't bring yourself to do carry with a round chambered, carry a revolver with the chamber under the hammer empty.

Yes...it can get you killed! But in the bigger picture, you sound as if you're relying on your gun to save you in a tight situation! What about using your brain to see whats' going on around you in the first place, and then taking steps to AVOID the confrontation if at all possible. If you do have your eyes open, and your head on a swivel, at least enough to see and recognize what's going on around you...you can either a) take steps to avoid the confrontation the first place, or b) have time to properly defend yourself. From a strategic viewpoint, if you DON'T have time to rack the slide...you're not paying attention and are already behind in the fight anyhow!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    My boating experience didn't end well. When I lived in Alabama the lake would be full of alcohol filled boat drivers. The lake was so choppy that it wasn't even fun to be on unless you were full of alcohol which I wasn't. A girl was at the back of a boat going pee pee and someone started the boat and put it in gear to leave her as a joke. The prop made contact with her and pulled her down as the prop chewed all the way up her body. The girl was killed :(

A guy from my high school class was killed by a prop after being run over by a boat! His best friend and future college roommate was driving the boat when it happened. Whole bunch of classmates at a lake cottage right before everyone left for school that year...it was a very bad day!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yes...it can get you killed! But in the bigger picture, you sound as if you're relying on your gun to save you in a tight situation! What about using your brain to see whats' going on around you in the first place, and then taking steps to AVOID the confrontation if at all possible. If you do have your eyes open, and your head on a swivel, at least enough to see and recognize what's going on around you...you can either a) take steps to avoid the confrontation the first place, or b) have time to properly defend yourself. From a strategic viewpoint, if you DON'T have time to rack the slide...you're not paying attention and are already behind in the fight anyhow!

Watch this trainers demonstration of action vs. reaction:
    [video=youtube_share;Fs-TObcA6R0]http://youtu.be/Fs-TObcA6R0[/video]

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I had a buddy that always had a empty chamber, he said that when he draws the gun, he can chamber it at the same time. When I asked to witness this amazing trick he ended up shooting a hole in our union halls floor. he doesn't carry at all anymore.:n00b:

My partner at work carries on an empty chamber. He claims that he trains to chamber a round while clearing the holster. Next time I get out to the range, I'm taking him and asking him to see this.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My partner at work carries on an empty chamber. He claims that he trains to chamber a round while clearing the holster. Next time I get out to the range, I'm taking him and asking him to see this.

Take something to occupy his weak hand and see how he manages.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Your neighbor needs to be properly trained. Us men are the worst. We think that it will somehow make us less of a man if we aren't the all knowing OZ of the gun world. For instance a friend was at my house yesterday looking at my new 1911. I dropped the mag and racked the slide open to show that it was empty. During his admiring the 1911 he was sweeping me with the barrel. I brought it to his attention and he said he wasn't pointing it at me. It was pointed about 3" above my shoulder. I told him that he has indeed swept me and that the 3" above my shoulder was still in my personal space. He took it as a slam to to gun knowledge but I let him know it was not following the four's of safety. It is all about EDUCATION EDUCATION EDUCATION!

I knew the gun was unloaded when I handed it to him but it is a matter of training the brain to never sweep anyone.

Your husband needs to say something to him about sweeping people, the life you save may be your own. I am polite when I tell the offender if it is done on accident the first time. The second time not so polite.

We've both told him several times. Every time, he claims it's ok because he never carries with one in the chamber, and thinks he needs no training because he was in the military. He also gets told about it at the local gun shop, where he thinks he needs to show everyone his gun. He spends a lot of time there, but drives an hour away to save $20 on a gun. He is one of the know-it-all types about everything and we don't talk to him now. The last time, we weren't very polite to him.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Stand well away............if he is "Showing" you how good he is, well, you know.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    When I first started carrying I was on empty chamber.....I knew I would have to chamber one, I knew I would need both hands. That was my choice and one can only hope its a situation that gives one time. I do carry with one in the pipe, but that is still no guarantee that if someone decides to kill me I will be able to draw fast enough.

Now to stir the pot I have read stories of guys with one in the chamber that shot themselves when drawing.....so there are cases when some should carry empty.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I first started carrying I was on empty chamber.....I knew I would have to chamber one, I knew I would need both hands. That was my choice and one can only hope its a situation that gives one time. I do carry with one in the pipe, but that is still no guarantee that if someone decides to kill me I will be able to draw fast enough.

Now to stir the pot I have read stories of guys with one in the chamber that shot themselves when drawing.....so there are cases when some should carry empty.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This is another good example that if you own and carry.......Practice safely with the darn thing. The EDC is the one you spend the most time with. People used to think we were nuts drilling in the winter in my shop. Verify the gun is empty....again, verify it. Holster it in the condition you chose to carry it and practice clearing the holster to the ready as many times as you have time for.

Eventually it will become 2nd nature and no real time lapse of thought will occur if you need to pull it for defense. It will just happen. Same as with force on force. If you drill something into your head and your brain is not mush it will stay there.

If your brain is mush then do not attempt to own and carry or you will become a statistic.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

When you do, please video it. I'd love to watch that technique.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When you do, please video it. I'd love to watch that technique.

I would love to see someone gear up (gloves/kick pads and head gear) and punch/kick him every time he tried to draw/rack and acquire.

This is not a sound method of self defense against an aggressor especially if they are already on the move towards you. 21 ft rule.....remember.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I would love to see someone gear up (gloves/kick pads and head gear) and punch/kick him every time he tried to draw/rack and acquire.

This is not a sound method of self defense against an aggressor especially if they are already on the move towards you. 21 ft rule.....remember.

Now hold on! He might be on to something and we may be missing out.

Of maybe not.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville

That is what we need a video of. I'd pay to see that.

Top Bottom