• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Being fairly new to IN, this surprises me. I've been through colder periods and have dealt with snow many times over the year. The media is really hyping this. Yes, I heard on the radio about "state of emergency", but am I supposed to take that as stay off the roads? Had planned on picking up a prescription today but Dr. has to authorize and not working today. I agree with those who say a sign on the entrance ramp should do the job. Out west they have gates they close on the ramps to prevent people from getting on the interstate.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Thank you for the unnecessary name-calling. It's good to know that you have that tool in your toychest whenever you disagree with someone. You'll note that at no time did I ever call OP a jackwagon. I never even implied it. Since you and at least one other person seem only to be interested in picking a fight with me and to somehow imply that I've been doing nothing but slinging insults, I'm going to go ahead and exit this thread and leave you to it.[/The "jackwagon post" is the guy that thought the emergency didn't apply to him and then *****ed when he got dinged for it.

The "jackwagon post" is the guy that thought the emergency didn't apply to him and then *****ed when he got dinged for it.
    This is a direct word for word quote from your post

You need to start at the beginning. Scutter called no one a "jackwagon".

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Why? The road announcements have been all over the news and the internet, and just looking out your window is enough to see the snow. Falling back on "well, there was no sign at the bottom of the ramp" is just a lame excuse. Putting yourself on the road means that you're interfering with emergency services and if you go off the road (and you almost certainly will), you're taking resources away from people who actually need them. The "jackwagon post" is the guy that thought the emergency didn't apply to him and then *****ed when he got dinged for it.
    Not everyone watches the news or listens to radio and if not then why would they intentionaly visit news on the internet? Your just assuming what YOU want to believe and calling him a liar because of it. They said on the news that the condition red the mayor issued for Indy which made it illegal to be on the road hasn't happened since 1978. I'm sure 65 closing down doesn't happen regularly so why would someone feel tey should check the news for permission to travel?
    sure yeah I know common sense and all and because scutter says so but ...

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    I work for the railroad and the railroad does not stop. I tried to get to work last night but the roads were so bad couldn't get up the hill by our house as it hadn't been plowed since 8am that day. If I was in your shoes I would of pulled out my ID and told him to call Norfolk Southern.
    Railroad workers are exempt along with emergency workers.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    What code or law did he break? I'm not being a smart ass, and IANAL.
    But all I can find is stuff like...
    No obligation to assist
    if rescued, can be taken to warming center, and not orig destination..

And he should know better?
    Some of us have jobs that fire you for not showing up, even in this.
    :+1:

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    I have not had power for 2 days. I had no idea they would close roads and especially a exspress way. Also since when can the government tell people not to leave there homes. None of the roads i drove on where bad including 65. It stoped snowing last night some time and even my local roads where clear. I think the government should have to pay my mortgage if they are telling me i can not go to work.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    The local news just stated that "in snow emergency counties: do not travel unless neccessary". If fines are involved, the details were lacking mention. One person's definition of "neccessary" may very well differ from another's. One might take that as a nod to drive to work.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I hope my dumb daughter gets a ticket. Stupid girl decided to drive to work at the stupid gas station because her manager at FAMILY EXPRESS apparently has threatened to fire anyone who doesn't go to work even though we are under a state of emergency. Okay...maybe she isn't truly dumb or stupid but mama is mad and the decision to drive in this crap is VERY STUPID. Someone drove her there in a 4WD and plows are being pulled from the roads again in a half hour but she thinks she'll be getting home when her shift ends at 11 p.m. If she lived a mile from work, that be okay...but not 20+ miles!!!

I'm thinking about calling the cops and asking them to give her a ticket when she gets in her car!!!!!

Since working at the Family Express is NOT considered an essential job (ie firefighter, nurse, doctor, emergency worker), you should have the cops talk to her boss. He is asking her to break the law by coming in to work.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    I have not had power for 2 days. I had no idea they would close roads and especially a exspress way. Also since when can the government tell people not to leave there homes. None of the roads i drove on where bad including 65. It stoped snowing last night some time and even my local roads where clear. I think the government should have to pay my mortgage if they are telling me i can not go to work.

My job is to heat a 600,000 sq foot building in Chicago. This kind of weather is the reason i have a job i cant just call in cause it is cold.

Well said.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side

Obviously someone thought 65 was hazardous/impassible since it was closed for a considerable amount of time.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    If i had none it was going to be closed i would never have drive to it. Im at work now and i took Route 30 into IL then went up to 94 and drove in. I did not go through one road that needed to be closed during that trip. Mind you it is really cold out. I just wish the cop was at the bottom of the ramp and then i would be fine. Now im going to get a bill that i can not afford to pay for a corrupt government that thinks marshall law is ok when ever it snows or gets cold out. I dont like giving them i dime.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    I was on 65 and for as far as i could see it was fine mind you it could be messed up some where. And i am fine with them closing a road but dont ticket me if you dont post it is closed. If tomorrow they decide to lower the speed limit to 10 mph but dont change the signs i dont think i should have to pay a ticket for going the normal speed.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    bunny-eating-popcorn-o.gif

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    While I agree with your sentiments, they put measure like this in place to protect as many people as they can, and to keep the roads clear for emergency vehicles and vital industry workers as well as keep police/fire/rescue available for emergencies, not people stranded on the side of the road. What if you were to go off the road on 65, your car dies, and no one can get to you? With the temperatures we're experiencing now death is a real possibility.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    :popcorn:

Sometimes tickets are necessary and deserved. When a guy pulls up and asks the officer 'is there an issue?', in my opinion, it was a jackwagon thing to do to ding the guy.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    I agree about the temps but that is life. Some parts of the country would call this normal weather. (Alaska) those people dont stop going about there buisness. No one has the right to tell me i dont have the right to leave my home. And if they think they do then they should be obliged to pay my morgate since they are preventing me from working. In my opinion it is a emergency for me. It is negative degrees out and if i dont go to work i dont have a job and then my children get to live in the cold permently. I would love to stay home and play all day but i dont think the job i have would appreatiate me not showing up on the coldest day when it is my job to heat the building. All im saying is the cop dident have to sit at the top of the ramp he could have blocked the entrance and this all could be avoided.

Top Bottom