• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I’m trying to see what the truth is. I’m open to the possibility it’s racist, but the facts don’t make that evident. If you’re using facts to see it the way you see it, then you must have some facts I haven’t seen.

There's no truth to be found. Nor can there ever be. It rests solely on personal opinion.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Don't be mad that my route is closed. I said I'm not judging. But damn 45 is a fairly large caliber. Might I suggest something foreign?
    6gc6y0.jpg

Making fun of gays, and now using Asian stereotypes. Didn't take much for your mask to fall off, did it?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    There's no truth to be found. Nor can there ever be. It rests solely on personal opinion.
    There are some things that are subjective and you can’t really nail things down to an objective truth. Like. What’s the best color? I say blue, obviously. But there isn’t a truth value to what’s the best color that is universally that’s true for everyone.

Is it racist to believe Obama was born in Kenya? Do you really think it’s like asking what is your favorite color? If you say there’s no truth there, it sounds like that’s what you’re saying. Sounds to me like it’s no better way to decide who to hate than using skin color.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That doesn't leave much room for adjusting your beliefs according to discovered facts. I'm trying to see where you get that. I'm just not seeing it. I think some of the "Birthers" are probably racists. It seems evident enough to say that's a fact. But I see no reason to connect Birtherism to Obama being Black, or to racism, other than many leftists essentially calling any Obama criticism racist. There's nothing inherently racist about suspecting that someone was born in another country. Especially when people find some pamphlet erroneously stating he was born in Kenya. The author of that Pamphlet herself, said it was an error. But once it's out there people just keep believing it. THAT's not racism. That's confirmation bias.

The earliest I can find for the origin of foreign birth was early 2008. Several "Birther" debunk sites say the rumors started from right wing conspiracy sites. But I can't see where it first gained wide spread notoriety in the media until later in the Primary season, when Hillary supporters emailed out chain emails repeating the foreign birth rumors, apparently taken from these right wing sites. Wikipedia says the rumors of the foreign birth morphed from a claim Andy Martin, a Democrat, made about Obama's religion back when Obama ran for US Senate. I'm guessing that right wing conspiracy nuts sort of dug into that and it grew into the rumors about Obama being born in Kenya. There's nothing that requires racism to believe in conspiracy theories. So I really don't see a direct tie there.

So other than the fact that some racists likely believe Obama was born in Kenya, I can find no cause to believe that only racists believe Obama was born in Kenya. There's no dots I can find to connect the two. So if you have some information that I haven't seen, maybe some dots I've missed, I'm willing to look. But as far as I can tell, thinking that Birthers are inherently racist is just a belief.

And it's certainly not true that Trump started all the Birther stuff about Obama. Trump didn't even mention it publicly until 2011. The birther stuff is at least as old as 2008.

Racism, as a personal motivator, is tricky to nail down because it is just so nebulous. The only window we have into the motivations of others is through their own own admissions...and people regularly lie about their motives.

How many people are actually going to admit they hold a racial bias in a public discussion? I'd wager the reported number would be far less than the actual value.

The simple fact is that birtherism, muslim obama, and the rest of the baseless clickbait floating around about him was propped up by people looking for "legitimate" reasons to support their bias...some amount of which was racial.

When someone says "there were no racial motivations" behind an action it immediately sets off my bull**** alarm, much like any sentence that follows "I'm not a racist, but...". At the end of the day we simply cannot know what lives in the hearts and minds of other men.

I'm not saying birtherism, as a movement or idea, is racist...but a significant number of its proponents are. Just like Trump himself: I don't honestly think Trump is a racist...but he is awfully popular among actual racists.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Racism, as a personal motivator, is tricky to nail down because it is just so nebulous. The only window we have into the motivations of others is through their own own admissions...and people regularly lie about their motives.

How many people are actually going to admit they hold a racial bias in a public discussion? I'd wager the reported number would be far less than the actual value.

The simple fact is that birtherism, muslim obama, and the rest of the baseless clickbait floating around about him was propped up by people looking for "legitimate" reasons to support their bias...some amount of which was racial.

When someone says "there were no racial motivations" behind an action it immediately sets off my bull**** alarm, much like any sentence that follows "I'm not a racist, but...". At the end of the day we simply cannot know what lives in the hearts and minds of other men.

I'm not saying birtherism, as a movement or idea, is racist...but a significant number of its proponents are. Just like Trump himself: I don't honestly think Trump is a racist...but he is awfully popular among actual racists.

Well said. Certainly better than I could explain it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I think there are racists and non-racists who believe it. That’s what the facts seem to show.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I think there are racists and non-racists who believe it. That’s what the facts seem to show.

I suspect you'll find far more racists, than non-racists, that believe it.... because simply put, racists are stupid. And you would have to be stupid, like really stupid, to believe that Obama was somehow smuggled into the United States from Kenya.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have a bunch of black relatives. My uncle is married to a delightful young lady. I have 3 or 4 first cousins that are intermarried. I really like some and dislike others. Guess what, same thing goes for some of the white folk that have married into the family.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I suspect you'll find far more racists, than non-racists, that believe it.... because simply put, racists are stupid. And you would have to be stupid, like really stupid, to believe that Obama was somehow smuggled into the United States from Kenya.

Pretty sure Pablo Escobar had a hand in it. :tinfoil:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pretty sure Pablo Escobar had a hand in it. :tinfoil:

Lol. See, that hitch. People who believe he was born in Kenya just say that, and nothing else. "He was born in Kenya." Ok, let's say I give them an open ear, now they should explain to me exactly how they think that's possible. What's the motive? Obama could have easily become naturalized through his mother. Why would she smuggle him into the states? The only benefit he could possibly receive by being seen as a natural born vs naturalized citizen, in the possibility of being president. Damn, talk about high hopes for you son

Also, in the 60s, you're not taking a one way flight. You're going to stop in multiple countries on your way here. Did those places not keep records? Or maybe he was in the cargo hold of a boat? For someone to make that claim stick, they need to draw up possibilities and motive, and as of yet I have never seen any.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Racists are smart and stupid. Conspiracy theorists are smart and stupid. People believe stuff. I know some Birthers. They don’t strike me as racists. Never heard them say things that are particularly racist. They don’t think Obama was smuggled in. I’m not all that certain they reasoned out how he arrived. It’s been my experience that the people who are most likely to be birthers are also conspiracy theorists.

I’d like to see how many birthers are also truthers. In my experience there’s nearly 100% correlation. Are truthers racist? Probably some of them are. But not because they’re truthers.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Racists are smart and stupid. Conspiracy theorists are smart and stupid. People believe stuff. I know some Birthers. They don’t strike me as racists. Never heard them say things that are particularly racist. They don’t think Obama was smuggled in. I’m not all that certain they reasoned out how he arrived. It’s been my experience that the people who are most likely to be birthers are also conspiracy theorists.

I’d like to see how many birthers are also truthers. In my experience there’s nearly 100% correlation. Are truthers racist? Probably some of them are. But not because they’re truthers.

Trump, Clinton, Arapio... heard any of them raise the possibility of that 9/11 was an inside job? What makes them different from the vast majority of people that believe both?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Trump, Clinton, Arapio... heard any of them raise the possibility of that 9/11 was an inside job? What makes them different from the vast majority of people that believe both?
    Well. Maybe we can use Venn diagrams to determine who the racists are racists.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Well. Maybe we can use Venn diagrams to determine who the racists are racists.

That doesn't answer the question. You made a 100% claim, I asked about 3 people who would be included in that 100%. And your answer is.....? Do you think that's not a fair question? I would have asked even if you said 95%.

Top Bottom