• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Numbers are numbers, don't shoot the messenger. I think it was confidence that he would drive businesses, and I think he has proved he can do that....I just hope that don't end up biting us. I can't speak for everyone but I was broke as hell after being slaughtered in 1999 to 2007, toughest times of my life, lost everything but my house. Housing started coming back before Donald was even a candidate and has not slowed down since. Many skilled trades left the housing business and went and got real jobs, leaving the shortage of laborers that still exist to this day. Housing market recovery - Business Insider

BTW, you guys want to look at a stagnant economy and stock market... look at 1-2001 to 1-2009 OUCH!

I was right there with you my friend. Our 401's/annuity's tanked and the wife did not work for 2 years as we fought for her disability. Lean times.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    There aren't a lot of qualified eager snowflakes when it comes to jobs, other than being a paid protester.

A lot of college degrees that end with the word 'Studies' don't qualify one for actually working.

Yeah, because their families have given them everything in life and will continue to do so. They don't want to work as long as they can mooch and wait for mom and dad to give it to them. $30,000,000,000,000 is FU money. https://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/29/preparing-for-the-30-trillion-great-wealth-transfer.html

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    When all else fails.....call em liberals! That is exactly what liberals do when they can't dispute facts.

The facts are:
    The Dow hit 20,000 for the first time ever on January 25, 2017.
    It got there riding on the confidence of Trump being the next President.
    Trump was inaugurated on January 20, 2017.
    How in the world could anybody but a liberal give credit to obummer for reaching that mark? Only liberals are capable of ignoring the facts like that.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The facts are:
    How in the world could anybody but a liberal give credit to obummer for reaching that mark? Only liberals are capable of ignoring the facts like that.
    Are you arguing that the Dow was not steadily climbing for the previous nine years, or just that it didn't actually hit 20,000 until Trump was President?

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I was right there with you my friend. Our 401's/annuity's tanked and the wife did not work for 2 years as we fought for her disability. Lean times.

Yes sir. I don't care if I never see a run like that again. In 1997 I was 29 years old and was building a small fortune, then the bubble burst. Lost all of my money. Went to work for a Developer/Builder/partner as a sub and was pretty much writing my own checks, could make as much as I wanted to work. Bought a house, started saving and spending, got a little lazy and in the blink of an eye it was all gone again when he got busted for writing $210,000,000 in bad checks shortly after 9-11 happened. Times got real hard, filed bankruptcy, then my dad dies, then my father in law and grandmother......hate them days, but dammit.....it made me stronger. By 2005-6, nothing was the same.

Punkinhead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    The facts are:
    The DOW didn't suddenly jump 10,000 points overnight. I didn't care much for Obama, but he did a good job navigating us out of the Bush recession.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    2LLhkq0.jpg

I feel like I'm forgetting one........ oh yeah...

080810_p16_sppn.jpg

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Are you arguing that the Dow was not steadily climbing for the previous nine years, or just that it didn't actually hit 20,000 until Trump was President?

It is clear what I said, just read the black part.
    I never brought up the previous nine years but since you did... The Dow certainly was not steadily climbing for the previous nine years. Here is the chart of obummer's last two years - from November, 2014 to October 2016. It is a pretty ugly chart and definitely not steadily gaining.

Dow1411to1610.jpg

Anyhow, I am now done with market analysis. I do too much of this for better reasons. You can have all the last words you want. :)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    CM, the problem is that the DOW going up does not equal jobs, construction, etc. In fact, a company can lay workers off and have their stock price go up.

The market did go up a lot while Obama was President. There really isn't much to debate there. Was it because of Obama, most likely no. It was going to recover after the crash. That is what markets do.

[Agreed. The market was on its knees and basically had nowhere to go but up. Look at the many mutual funds and bond funds that were started around that same time. When you only keep score from after the bottom, your percentage gains look smashing and "Let's not talk about downside capture"]

I still think the exceptionally low interest rates are mostly behind the market going up. Which is why every time they talk about raising rates the market takes a dip.

IMO this^^ but not quite the way you think. Bernanke actually wanted to push market share into risk-on trading, which was done by driving interest rates on bonds so low that people needed to look to securities to make headway on even the meager inflation that was extant. This in turn has resulted in the inflated P/E ratios in many securities and it is this overbought condition (coupled with algorithmic trading) that amplifies volatility. If Trump can get the economy sustainably doing better in the area of profitability, we can grow our way out of this coffin corner. Otherwise the real correction will be brutal

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    There aren't a lot of qualified eager snowflakes when it comes to jobs, other than being a paid protester.

A lot of college degrees that end with the word 'Studies' don't qualify one for actually working.

Exactly. I had a hilarious mental image of a skinny jeans hipster surviving a summer job as hod carrier (I did this - once). If he survived the first week he'd need a whole new wardrobe because; leg muscles

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Exactly. I had a hilarious mental image of a skinny jeans hipster surviving a summer job as hod carrier (I did this - once). If he survived the first week he'd need a whole new wardrobe because; leg muscles

Roofing/pole barn construction. Barn remodel/repair.
    Give it a try.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    IMO this^^ but not quite the way you think. Bernanke actually wanted to push market share into risk-on trading, which was done by driving interest rates on bonds so low that people needed to look to securities to make headway on even the meager inflation that was extant. This in turn has resulted in the inflated P/E ratios in many securities and it is this overbought condition (coupled with algorithmic trading) that amplifies volatility. If Trump can get the economy sustainably doing better in the area of profitability, we can grow our way out of this coffin corner. Otherwise the real correction will be brutal

Right on man. It could get very ugly, very quickly. We are one big event from a huge correction....we have not seen nothing yet.

Nono....I am with you, it's not worth bickering over. We are all pretty much on the same side, just we all have opinions and sometimes they differ. BTW, you are at the coveted 50 posts.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Some people like to give obummer credit for the market bouncing back from the 2008 dip but the market always bounces back after a dip so that doesn't make sense. Some people like to use the bottom of the dip as the baseline for market performance afterward but that doesn't make sense either because the bottom of the dip does not represent the market well. That is taking an extreme low point and saying that is the market normal. Instead of using the bottom of the dip (7,500) I would use something more representative of the market, maybe in the 10,000 to 11,000 range.

You can easily see the market basically wallowed sideways from late 2014 to late 2016. And then there was an election...

View attachment 65403

Hey. It's Al Gore's hockey stick.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Right on man. It could get very ugly, very quickly. We are one big event from a huge correction....we have not seen nothing yet.

Nono....I am with you, it's not worth bickering over. We are all pretty much on the same side, just we all have opinions and sometimes they differ. BTW, you are at the coveted 50 posts.

Jeez, 50 posts!?! That is more than I wanted to post. I just came here to read and learn some stuff.

Top Bottom