• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I am with ya. You know how a bad day of fishing still beats a good day of work. Well, that's how I feel about our President. Even on his worst day he is still better than her on her best day. I am just disappointed in how he has became a politician. I understand it, I guess....but that don't mean I like it. If the President pisses off the Republicans and the Democrats I reckon that could cause him all kinds of political fallout.
    I don't know how much of a politician he has become. Part of his problem is that he tends to tell us what he is thinking at any given moment. Some kid or parent tells him a sad story about guns, well suddenly he is against guns. Someone tells him NK is making him look foolish, he says he wants to bomb NK. A politician wouldn't do any of that. The problem with them is they can talk all day and never actually say anything.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Actually politics is sure easy if you're a democrap congressdroid. Just vote the way the party bosses tell you and act offended at everything else. No thinking required. In fact thinking could seriously get in the way of the political gravy train.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I don't know how much of a politician he has become. Part of his problem is that he tends to tell us what he is thinking at any given moment. Some kid or parent tells him a sad story about guns, well suddenly he is against guns. Someone tells him NK is making him look foolish, he says he wants to bomb NK. A politician wouldn't do any of that. The problem with them is they can talk all day and never actually say anything.

Trump is having that effect on the stock market. Every time he opens his mouth, he spews a whacky statement. Then the market reacts and the S&P 500 gets slammed.

I really do think Steve Bannon kept Trump on track and on message. Once Bannon got fired, the core principles went out the window.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Just to keep it in perspective - The stock market is very significantly higher after only one year of President Trump than anytime during obummer's eight years.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    As much as I despised Obama, he took over a DOW that was 7,500 range and left it nearly triple that at around 20,000....let's hope Trump does half that, which would put the DOW about 40,000 in 6 3/4 years, if he equals Obama it will be DOW 60,000! I don't see that happening. Trump took over at 20-21,000 range and we are only at 24,000 and the market is a bloated pig looking for a reason to falter. I am not complaining about 20%+ a year, but the fact is Obama gave us plenty of 20% + years. In our first 15 months under Obama we went from DOW 7,500 to 11,000......in the same first 15 months with Trump we have went from 20,000-24,000. 40% to 20% advantage Obama first 15 months in office.

Like KLB said, these numbers get a little distorted. Obama had a terrible economy to start but a lot of cash coming back. Trump inherited(no pun intended) a robust economy....a lot of people would say Helen Keller could pick a winner on Wall Street now days. So I will wait and see what the scoreboard says in a couple of years. I honestly think debt will kill us again, sooner or later. We learned nothing from the past.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Some people like to give obummer credit for the market bouncing back from the 2008 dip but the market always bounces back after a dip so that doesn't make sense. Some people like to use the bottom of the dip as the baseline for market performance afterward but that doesn't make sense either because the bottom of the dip does not represent the market well. That is taking an extreme low point and saying that is the market normal. Instead of using the bottom of the dip (7,500) I would use something more representative of the market, maybe in the 10,000 to 11,000 range.

You can easily see the market basically wallowed sideways from late 2014 to late 2016. And then there was an election...

Dow20on180330.jpg

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Only a good liberal would give obummer credit for the market hitting 20,000 since it never hit that mark until the surge after President Trump was elected.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As much as I despised Obama, he took over a DOW that was 7,500 range and left it nearly triple that at around 20,000....let's hope Trump does half that, which would put the DOW about 40,000 in 6 3/4 years, if he equals Obama it will be DOW 60,000! I don't see that happening. Trump took over at 20-21,000 range and we are only at 24,000 and the market is a bloated pig looking for a reason to falter. I am not complaining about 20%+ a year, but the fact is Obama gave us plenty of 20% + years. In our first 15 months under Obama we went from DOW 7,500 to 11,000......in the same first 15 months with Trump we have went from 20,000-24,000. 40% to 20% advantage Obama first 15 months in office.

Like KLB said, these numbers get a little distorted. Obama had a terrible economy to start but a lot of cash coming back. Trump inherited(no pun intended) a robust economy....a lot of people would say Helen Keller could pick a winner on Wall Street now days. So I will wait and see what the scoreboard says in a couple of years. I honestly think debt will kill us again, sooner or later. We learned nothing from the past.

I do not at all agree with this as I watch the jobs/construction/trades/available work etc. It was fairly stagnant under Obama. It took off like a missile when Trump put his hand on the bible. Was that just market confidence. People believing thay could invest again. Folks pulling out the cash from the mattress and spending again...????

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I do not at all agree with this as I watch the jobs/construction/trades/available work etc. It was fairly stagnant under Obama. It took off like a missile when Trump put his hand on the bible. Was that just market confidence. People believing thay could invest again. Folks pulling out the cash from the mattress and spending again...????
    CM, the problem is that the DOW going up does not equal jobs, construction, etc. In fact, a company can lay workers off and have their stock price go up.

The market did go up a lot while Obama was President. There really isn't much to debate there. Was it because of Obama, most likely no. It was going to recover after the crash. That is what markets do.

I still think the exceptionally low interest rates are mostly behind the market going up. Which is why every time they talk about raising rates the market takes a dip.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Some people like to give obummer credit for the market bouncing back from the 2008 dip but the market always bounces back after a dip so that doesn't make sense. Some people like to use the bottom of the dip as the baseline for market performance afterward but that doesn't make sense either because the bottom of the dip does not represent the market well. That is taking an extreme low point and saying that is the market normal. Instead of using the bottom of the dip (7,500) I would use something more representative of the market, maybe in the 10,000 to 11,000 range.

You can easily see the market basically wallowed sideways from late 2014 to late 2016. And then there was an election...

View attachment 65403

I went by the inauguration monthly numbers as close as I could without getting too OCD about it. I think we can agree that the market easily doubled in his 8 years, maybe a little more. If Trump can just easily double it, we will all be loving life. I still don't see a DOW 40,000 in 6 1/2 years, or 30,000 in 2 1/2 years.....but I am no economics expert and I could be dead wrong. I think we will have bad days sometime in that time span that drops us back. Time will tell.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    The markets seem to very closely tied to this President. Remember what happened when the fake news first falsely said Trump was officially tied to the Russians and Joy Behar threw her hands in the air in excitement and nearly peed herself. Markets dropped like a rock and rebounded slightly when it was discovered it was false. I understand all politicians take credit for anything positive but market confidence did seem to improve almost immediately after inauguration. It might depend on which media outlet you subscribe to.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    CM, the problem is that the DOW going up does not equal jobs, construction, etc. In fact, a company can lay workers off and have their stock price go up.

The market did go up a lot while Obama was President. There really isn't much to debate there. Was it because of Obama, most likely no. It was going to recover after the crash. That is what markets do.

I still think the exceptionally low interest rates are mostly behind the market going up. Which is why every time they talk about raising rates the market takes a dip.

And this is why I do not watch the market. To me a healthy economy is when there are available jobs. When I see the cranes and equipment running. When the trades are looking for people.
    Last I saw/heard there were in excess of 93,000 jobs needing to be filled and a lack of qualified eager people to fill them. This was not the case when "O" was in the big boy chair.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    There aren't a lot of qualified eager snowflakes when it comes to jobs, other than being a paid protester.

A lot of college degrees that end with the word 'Studies' don't qualify one for actually working.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County

Numbers are numbers, don't shoot the messenger. I think it was confidence that he would drive businesses, and I think he has proved he can do that....I just hope that don't end up biting us. I can't speak for everyone but I was broke as hell after being slaughtered in 1999 to 2007, toughest times of my life, lost everything but my house. Housing started coming back before Donald was even a candidate and has not slowed down since. Many skilled trades left the housing business and went and got real jobs, leaving the shortage of laborers that still exist to this day. Housing market recovery - Business Insider

BTW, you guys want to look at a stagnant economy and stock market... look at 1-2001 to 1-2009 OUCH!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    There aren't a lot of qualified eager snowflakes when it comes to jobs, other than being a paid protester.

A lot of college degrees that end with the word 'Studies' don't qualify one for actually working.

What is this crazy talk of yours? Don't you realize we should be a society of idle philosophers and players of video games who eat food that magically appears on our tables? Work? Didn't your mom teach you not to use nasty four-lettered words?

Top Bottom