• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Just to keep it in perspective - The stock market is very significantly higher after only one year of President Trump than anytime during obummer's eight years.

Just to keep it in perspective, this is demonstrably untrue.

OutdoorDad is technically correct

Year one of Obama, and using the DJIA as an approximate stand-in for the overall market, it rose from 7949.09 on inauguration day 2009 to 10603.15 on 01/20/2010 for a gain of 33.4%, this in a year when the economy was coming of the low of the Great Recession (3/8/09). Only three other Obama years exceeded gains of 10% of which only one exceeded 20%

Year one of Trump the DJIA rose from 19827.25 on inauguration day to 26214.60 on 01/20/2018 for a gain of 32.2%

But what makes it less of a wash is Trump did that coming off what Obama's apologists insist was a robust economy, while Obama did it off the lowest lows, relative to pre-crash, since the Depression. Which do you think was harder?

Last edited:

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Just to keep it in perspective - The stock market is very significantly higher after only one year of President Trump than anytime during obummer's eight years.

You are talking about percentages, which is fine, but the original statement simply said the market is significantly higher now than any time in the obummer regime. Totally true since the market is around 24,000 and it never even got to 20,000 under obummer. Simple statement of fact.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    OutdoorDad is technically correct

Year one of Obama, and using the DJIA as an approximate stand-in for the overall market, it rose from 7949.09 on inauguration day 2009 to 10603.15 on 01/20/2010 for a gain of 33.4%, this in a year when the economy was coming of the low of the Great Recession (3/8/09). Only three other Obama years exceeded gains of 10% of which only one exceeded 20%

Year one of Trump the DJIA rose from 19827.25 on inauguration day to 26214.60 on 01/20/2018 for a gain of 32.2%

But what makes it less of a wash is Trump did that coming off what Obama's apologists insist was a robust economy, while Obama did off the lowest lows, relative to pre-crash, since the Depression. Which do you think was harder?

Or, you could use a broad based index like the s&p 500 or the Russell 1000.

Both of which outperformed 2017 in 2009 and 2013 - significantly.

Russell 1000 Index Yearly Stock Returns

https://ycharts.com/indicators/sandp_500_total_return_annual

or any other “market” index I can think of

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/US_total_market_index_returns

On the separate issue of “how much does the President affect the stock market”? My position is “very little”.

Except for very short periods in extreme confidence crises (think FDR- fear itself or Obama during downgrade of US debt obligations) I doubt the ability of the President to affect the stock market. And I certainly don’t think market performance is or should be part of his or her mandate.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    You are talking about percentages, which is fine, but the original statement simply said the market is significantly higher now than any time in the obummer regime. Totally true since the market is around 24,000 and it never even got to 20,000 under obummer. Simple statement of fact.

So record highs on national debt, a record number of deaths of US servicemen in Afghanistan and more than ever terrorist attacks against US citizens since Trump’s election.

If you want to get racy with it, historic number of untreated cases of syphilis, abortions, rape, and murders by and against LEOs.

Oh, more illegal border crossings and crimes by MS13 than at any time in history.

Mosquito bites and the number of holes in Swiss cheese as well, I suppose.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    So record highs on national debt, a record number of deaths of US servicemen in Afghanistan and more than ever terrorist attacks against US citizens since Trump’s election.

If you want to get racy with it, historic number of untreated cases of syphilis, abortions, rape, and murders by and against LEOs.

Oh, more illegal border crossings and crimes by MS13 than at any time in history.

Mosquito bites and the number of holes in Swiss cheese as well, I suppose.

Frothing, unsubstantiated internet rants also seem to be at an all-time high.

Rbooher7526

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Nobody will care until he lies to Mueller about it, which is inevitable since lying comes as naturally as breathing for Trump. Then it's impeachable.
    Actually he can say yes he had sex with her. So what? Unless you think he's going to getcharged with patronizing a known prostitute. Frankky why does anyone care who he slept with. I'm jealous it wasn't me.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    giphy.gif

Top Bottom