• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I wouldn't mind a truck, mostly for the hauling ability. However, I can't justify the costs involved. It would make more sense financially to just have someone deliver wood, mulch, appliances, etc.. So chances are when my current care finally goes out, I'll likely be getting another car. It is only the wife and I, so I really don't need to worry about space either, though I might consider a small sized SUV. If the SUV gets the same gas mileage as say a Nissan Frontier, then I may decide to just go ahead and get a truck.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Forks won't unload a load of gravel or sand.

I've also seen the fork extensions bend and twist and drop loads to the ground. That was not a fun thing to explain to management.

I put 500 bags of gray slate landscaping stone around my house. I hauled most of those bags on my 20' car hauler and used my tractor to unload the pallets from the trailer. I could have bought the stone in bulk cheaper but I'd have to shovel it to move it and then try cleaning up the mess from the pile afterwards.

I currently have a half ton dodge with a 5.9. That thing sucks balls trying to pull a 20' car hauler with several thousand pounds on the trailer.

I have a 350' driveway just to my house plus a huge parking lot. If I need stone, I have it hauled in by the 20 ton load.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I had a truck for 3 years (a sweet lifted Ranger that I put a lot into making it nice).. Traded it for a car, and before I got the paper plate off the car I traded it for a truck. At the time I took care of my grandmas lawn (had to take the mower over there every week), along with a million other things I use it for (hauling in cans, I help family with working on rental units, etc.).... On top of that having a kid I had to go full size so I could put a carseat in the backseat...

So how useful is a truck for me? EXTREMELY!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I posted up thread that I had 2 trucks. Well this one is going to a new home. I did not want to sell it but the price offered was just more than I could refuse. It has been parked at my buddy's farm for a while as we have no room here right now and he has been using it. He has been beating on me to buy it before I ever put it on his place.
    We bought it totaled. It is an 86 with mid 90's sheet metal, a beefed up 460 gas engine, Beefed C-6 with a Hone OD unit, 410 rear gears and dual tanks.. Gets 8.5 MPG idling, driving or towing a 28 ft. enclosed race trailer. Great rig for a gas job. Runs like a scalded dog and pulls anything you put behind it as far as you want to go or you have money for the gas. Gonna miss it.

dually.jpg

Boiler1529

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Nwi
    I started with a truck then went to a suv and went back to a pickup. I'm a little biased though as I don't fit into many cars. They tend to make them for midgets. ( I'm 6'8).

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    The first thing I drove was my dads old 1991 GMC 3500 dually. Then when I went off to school in Florida I inherited my stepmoms '95 Monte Carlo. I missed the GMC real dad but it wouldnt have been too great for the busy streets of Orlando. When I got home I thought I would get the truck back. I was wrong. That was over 5 years ago now and just this past January I had enough money and credit buildt up to buy my new Ford Ranger. I WILL NEVER OWN A CAR AGAIN!! When I had a car I always needed a truck for somthing or another and was always at the mercy of my dad or brother to help me move, take my lawn tractor in for service, pick up sheets of drywall or plywood when we were working on my house or take my fourwheeler to our track. Now I have my own truck and I will never be without one again. Trust me if you get one you will use it. Maybe not all the time but damn are they nice to have when you need one.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    My truck is a gas guzzler. I have a F150 with the 5.4 V8. I don't use it for the bed quite as much as I use it to get around off road. I like to mud, I like to explore. Plus, all my friends call on me when they need to haul stuff. It's handy to have. I like it. I wouldn't want a car to replace my truck.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    I have had a four wheel drive truck all my life, until about six years ago. Bought a Alero...Nice car, but worth nothing on trade in. Traded it off for a Dakota four wheel drive. Will never again be with out a four wheel drive. Even if all I could afford would be a rusted out piece of :poop:, it will be a truck!! :rockwoot:

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    Cut my teeth learning to drive a truck. We used to sneek off to the neighbors (friends of ours) when they went grocery shopping, and take their truck for a cruise. Old 67 Chevy with a three speed on the column. They never knew.:D

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    first vehicle was a little kia sportage (truck-ish.. at least it was 4wd), now i have the land rover with lockable differentials 3 ways front to back. as if i were going to get stuck hauling deer out of the woods... psh... in a situation, truck would probably get you secluded. distance-wise, probably gonna go for a car for obvious reasons..

in general, buy a little geo metro for the highways.. truck for those snow / mud / hauling days.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Forks won't unload a load of gravel or sand.
    That's why I have Dump Truck...
    Or I put a load on a heavy tarp and pull the tarp out....
    I've also seen the fork extensions bend and twist and drop loads to the ground. That was not a fun thing to explain to management.
    You really need to have an understanding of the weight your machine can lift....

Top Bottom