OSUT 262: The King has Been Neutered....and Waylon too...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Our Big Lots store is closing down! :(
    Our outing yesterday included a salvage mission, dragging a cart through there for the last time, possibly, but with a more serious commission this time.

I gathered extras of the German foods I find there. Three quarts of Hengstenberg Hot and Spicy Gherkins, some German salty, not East Coast sweet, whole mini beets - all they had, dark brown mustard, thick spaetzles, various shapes.

Oh well, It's what I get for bragging about the place last month. I should know better.

Last edited:

BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Caldo de res is simmering! Ready in time for lunch.

You need a really hot skillet to do what I described earlier. Delicate balance between almost smokey pan and not setting off the smoke alarm while Wife is still sleeping.
    :):

BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    I haven't made fajitas in a long time. I use a marinade that I learned from when I worked at Fridays. 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/8 cup liquid smoke, 2 tbsp A1, about 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tbsp. black pepper and 1 tsp salt. I use some to marinade the beef and the rest to cook the peppers and onions in. The sugar really helps with the caramelization, both of the meat and the veggies and it's got a nice sweet/smoky/peppery flavor.
    Sounds really good, although, that seems like a lot of liquid smoke to me. I do add a little to the stew.
    Wouldn't need any, if I had started up the firepit this morning.
    But that's not a twenty minute thing.

Love fajitas, but some don't and that's what the soy is for sometimes. A little more universal taste to most palates.
    Fajita cuts are the gamiest meat on a steer, and tough, used to be cheapest. That's why a good acidic lime soak is used to help with breaking down all those chewy connective tissues.

I rarely do much with a marinade once it's done its job, but the limey, bloody juice goes in with the broth for this dish! And you don't really taste the lime once it's come together, but it's still working on the meat.
    :thumbsup:

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sounds really good, although, that seems like a lot of liquid smoke to me. I do add a little to the stew.
    Don't need any, if I had started up the firepit this morning.
    But that's not a twenty minute thing.

Love fajitas, but some don't and that's what the soy is for sometimes. A little more universal taste to most palates.
    Fajita cuts are the gamiest meat on a steer, and tough, used to be cheapest. That's why a good acidic lime soak is used to help with breaking down all those tough connective tissues.

I rarely do much with a marinade once it's done its job, but the limey, bloody juice goes in with the broth for this dish! And you don't really taste the lime once it's come together, but it's still working.
    :thumbsup:
    Fridays used "flap steaks" (skirt steaks? flank steaks? :dunno: ) for their beef fajitas and then they were pounded out, grilled and sliced into thin strips (about 1/4" thick). We didn't really marinate them though. Just a quick dip in the marinade before hitting the grill.

BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Fridays used "flap steaks" (skirt steaks? flank steaks? :dunno: ) for their beef fajitas and then they were pounded out, grilled and sliced into thin strips (about 1/4" thick). We didn't really marinate them though. Just a quick dip in the marinade before hitting the grill.
    Same cut, I believe. Fajita means little belt, the muscles supporting the outer stomach. A lot goes on in there.
    Ever seen bovines at nap time after grazing all morning? They need a strong little belt!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom